Really disgusted, but have to go.

doublebarr

This weekend the girls have a basketball tournament in Illinois, just barely over our state line. I am REALLY ticked that this tournament ended up in Illinois as I avoid the state when traveling to the southeast like the plague lives there because of their stand on guns. I am going to have to pull over at the state line, take my guns off and put them in my lock box (drive a jeep with no trunk) and not have them on Friday and Saturday till I get back over into Missouri. I am going to feel naked that whole time. Seriously considered simply doing what I do every day and not one person knows, but hubby said he did not want to drive up and bail me out just in case. ARGH! Wish I didn't raise two starters who live for basketball. They are 11-1 for the season and ranked #3 in the nation in their division. So we can't back out on this tournament, but MAN do I want to :-(

I am the AD, so I managed to wrangle getting our Regional tournament moved to Oklaholma City instead of Illinois this year, so that's good, just wish I could have pulled a little harder on getting this one moved.

One question for those in Illinois, if I read it right, it looks like I have to have the guns unloaded also in the lock box? It's not enough that they're in the lock box. Right?

And one more question, what about in our hotel room? Still in the lock box or is that considered a "residence" and I can have them ready?

If you possess them in the state without a FOID card, you're breaking the law and putting yourself at legal risk. The transport law only applies when traveling from one place you can legally possess, to another state you can legally possess. The trip has to be uninterrupted , so a stay of a couple off days means the transport law doesn't apply. You will need to leave them home.

If you possess them in the state without a FOID card, you're breaking the law and putting yourself at legal risk. The transport law only applies when traveling from one place you can legally possess, to another state you can legally possess. The trip has to be uninterrupted , so a stay of a couple off days means the transport law doesn't apply. You will need to leave them home.

Unless the law has changed recently this is incorrect.

Link Removed

NON-RESIDENTS
A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:
• Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.
• On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.
• At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.
• Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence.

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition.

Perhaps this resource will help. http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf There is a paragraph on keeping it in your hotel room. There is also a number to call for questions. It would probably be best to call and get the official word. The question is, are you considered to be traveling or not? You destination is Illinois and you will be staying there at least overnight.

Found it:

To legally possess a firearm in Illinois the law states you must have a FOID Card. Non Residents
cannot obtain a FOID Card from Illinois. The Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Appellee, v.LEONARD
HOLMES, JR. that: “therefore, a valid permit or license from another state can substitute for the FOID
card requirement in section 24–1.6.

So I am good to go as long as it stays in my locked case unloaded, until I am in my hotel room. My CCW permit qualifies as an FOID card since I am not a resident of Ill. And I checked and the city I am going to does not have an ordinance against handguns. I really hate Illinois!

I would just tell your girls 'sorry' but they are not going to be able to make it to this particular tournament.
But that's just me.

Good luck.

If they were my kids they would not be going and would be told the the state of IL does not follow the US Constitution and you will contribute no money to them.

Would be nice if it was that easy. My oldest is a Senior and a starter (she is also the high scorer and rebounder for the team), younger is a Junior and a starter and there are 7 girls total on the team. Their team won Nationals last year and are on the way to winning again this year, but if we cut and run from the team at this tournament, then that goes out the window and they are hurting their WHOLE team, not just themselves. When they joined the team again this year they committed to the team. I will not teach my kids that you break your word because you don't like something. If there was a clear danger present, then yes, things would be different. However, that is not the case so there is no valid reason to break our word and commitment.

And just FYI, both girls well understand WHY we detour around Ill on our trips each year, they are also very active in Shooting Sports on a competitive level, so they know the ramifications of attending this tournament and know the ramifications of not honoring their word. They choose to honor their commitment and word and I am very proud of them.

Would be nice if it was that easy. My oldest is a Senior and a starter (she is also the high scorer and rebounder for the team), younger is a Junior and a starter and there are 7 girls total on the team. Their team won Nationals last year and are on the way to winning again this year, but if we cut and run from the team at this tournament, then that goes out the window and they are hurting their WHOLE team, not just themselves. When they joined the team again this year they committed to the team. I will not teach my kids that you break your word because you don't like something. If there was a clear danger present, then yes, things would be different. However, that is not the case so there is no valid reason to break our word and commitment.

And just FYI, both girls well understand WHY we detour around Ill on our trips each year, they are also very active in Shooting Sports on a competitive level, so they know the ramifications of attending this tournament and know the ramifications of not honoring their word. They choose to honor their commitment and word and I am very proud of them.

Go ahead then....disarm yourself & just comply with the gestapo so that you can go to the "basketball games".

You and your 'sexy teenaged daughters' will all be perfectly safe and everything will be just fine, because as you stated earlier, "there is no clear and present danger"....And don't worry, if anything bad happens during your long trip, the police will always protect you.

Because we all know that the police are 'so good' at preventing criminals from assaulting, raping or killing innocent people (especially young & attractive females who are traveling away from home) and we the sheeple should all know by now that nothing bad ever happens to good people or young attractive teenaged girls right??

Honor your two 'sexy looking young daughters' commitment to "basketball" while being completely disarmed on your long road trip...
Because it's good to have your own priorities in order.

Just remember, "When seconds count, the police are too many minutes away".

Um, I don't have a clue where you think I will be going completely disarmed? I am taking them off only at the state line for the 5 mile trip to the hotel and gym. They will however be with me in a lock box, then back on in the hotel room. And then once we get back to the state line the following day I will stop just across the line and put one back on and one back in my purse. Yes, I do not like the fact that for less than 3 hours at a time they will not be on me. BUT, they will be on me the rest of the time. And when we are not "together" I have the other big men who are fathers who are with their kids right there beside me to protect the "fragile females" *rolling eyes here*. Yes, we will not be able to instantly defend against gunfire and that bothers me, but the opportunity for someone to assault us "fragile females" with impunity is very remote. Yes I do not like not being able to meet force with MORE force myself in the case of someone bigger, but I have 3 someones bigger right beside me. And there are other items that can be used for close contact self defense if you have been trained with them ;-) Just rather have a gun at a knife fight, but it doesn't mean you are helpless without one.

This weekend the girls have a basketball tournament in Illinois, just barely over our state line. I am REALLY ticked that this tournament ended up in Illinois as I avoid the state when traveling to the southeast like the plague lives there because of their stand on guns. I am going to have to pull over at the state line, take my guns off and put them in my lock box (drive a jeep with no trunk) and not have them on Friday and Saturday till I get back over into Missouri. I am going to feel naked that whole time. QUOTE]
Your original words, not mine....Now you have somewhat changed your tune...Hmmm?

A weapon that's locked & unloaded inside a secured container protects you how exactly??

You go on ahead & obey the Illinois Gestapo's Rules of Citizen Disarmament like a good little sheep....
Have fun and be safe (Sincerely).

I for one refuse to visit those types of fascist places.

And one more question, what about in our hotel room? Still in the lock box or is that considered a "residence" and I can have them ready?

I think you missed this question, didn't you? I have since found out that I CAN have them on in my hotel room as it is just like my residence, which is why I wrote the other part a tad bit earlier in the same post and then "changed" it in a later post. :cool:

Yes, I absolutely HATE spending ANY of my money in Ill, but this is one case where I will do it, just for the least amount of time and funds as possible. We will not be "touring" any attractions and will just be from gym to hotel (hotel serves all meals too). I too pray that I am not making a life changing mistake, but I also realize that sometimes you step out of your comfort zone for some personal reasons. As long as we personally accept it, that is all that matters.

You won't get to the game because when they find you have imported guns into IL, legally or otherwise, you will be spending your time making bail while you are trying to explain your legal rights to people who are not real Americans.

Did not read all the replies but mine sounds like it is one of the exceptions. If it is my daughters and it is a tournament somewhere where I cannot even say the word firearm--so be it. The idea that I will bellyache because I cannot carry my firearm and would, if I could, prevent the tournament from taking place, is just plain imbecilic. Don't agree---fine. Please do not give me any "protect my daughters crap". You are telling me that you actually can put some weight and thought into your inability to 24/7 CC vs your childrens' activities and experiences. Sorry if I have misread your original thread but this is what I take out of your comments.

You guys are a hoot. Really. We went to the tournament, and on Saturday, between games I went to 3 different gun/sporting stores and visited with lots of folks out for the Gun Appreciation day and even some media folks out getting sound bites for the news that evening. Yeah, that's right, folks in the Peoples Republic of Illinois who are trying to take their rights back that I got to visit with and share stories and support from their neighbor in the next state. You know, if you look at Illinois, it's a couple of big cities who put the corruption in office, the folks who live outside the big cities are about as freedom loving as those in strongly red states. I am glad I got to spend time visiting and supporting these good folks, even if I didn't LIKE doing it disarmed.

Kel - you don't look like as much as an idiot if you actually read what is said, but that said, my childrens "experiences" are nothing if they are not safe as I can make them as often as I can do so. I have a son deployed in a "war zone" whom I cannot protect except by prayer, so excuse me if I choose to think about the safety of my kids whom I CAN protect still and "bellyache" a bit about a choice I make that might potentially impact that safety. My prayer for you is that you never have to share the feeling of having one of your children daily in a KNOWN dangerous place and working daily in dangerous situations that can mean the end of their life.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back