Range safety

Today I went to the range. I brought my .22 target, and my 357 loaded with 100g wadcutters. (no recoil day)

There was a group of three at one end, and a group of two (us) in the middle.

There was a lull in the action, a cease fire was called, and everyone agreed to "range is safe"

I went down the 50 yard line to set up bowling pins.

I noticed one of the larger group setting down at the bench. Then,,,,,,

He started cycling the action on his M1.

I changed direction quickly.

When I was sure I was clear of the muzzle, I yelled at him.

"put that weapon down"

I went over and had talk with the group.

The old guy cycling the action said "there were no bullets in the rifle, whats the problem"

My reply was, "my problem is, everyday in this country someone is shot with an unloaded gun"

We had a friendly chat.

Hopefully, everyone learned something.

I learned to remind everyone to step away from the bench when the line is "SAFE"

Good for you, I would have done the same thing..
My question is.. Where was the Range officer??? Either out smoking crack, or busy picking up brass would be my guess.. Bad on the Range Officer!!!

Good for you, I would have done the same thing..
My question is.. Where was the Range officer??? Either out smoking crack, or busy picking up brass would be my guess.. Bad on the Range Officer!!!
what range officer? this is an outdoor range in the woods. self service honor system

Had a similar situation when shooting in the outdoors in UT. I yelled "put the guns down, we're down range". The guys started laughing and carrying on. I had already taken cover and had drawn my CC pistol. My buddy was crapping his pants. I yelled again "put your guns down, there are people down range". Apparently one of the guys caught a glimpse of my silhouette behind the rock and yelled "oh s--t! there's a guy down range with a gun!" They immediately stepped back from their firearms and yelled "sorry guys, you can come back". We got back, packed up our stuff and moved to another area. The guys didn't look so swift, and a couple of them tried to apologize, but were visibly intoxicated. :eek:

Be very careful out there. You never know who or what you may encounter!

gf

Had a similar situation when shooting in the outdoors in UT. I yelled "put the guns down, we're down range". The guys started laughing and carrying on. I had already taken cover and had drawn my CC pistol. My buddy was crapping his pants. I yelled again "put your guns down, there are people down range". Apparently one of the guys caught a glimpse of my silhouette behind the rock and yelled "oh s--t! there's a guy down range with a gun!" They immediately stepped back from their firearms and yelled "sorry guys, you can come back". We got back, packed up our stuff and moved to another area. The guys didn't look so swift, and a couple of them tried to apologize, but were visibly intoxicated. :eek:

Be very careful out there. You never know who or what you may encounter!

gf
You should of called the law on their intoxicated asses. There is no reason to booze with firearms. N O N E.

You did the right thing Iceman. My chat with them would of been less than friendly! My greatest pet peeve is stupidity... Dont think me some intolerant ass (well maybe a little), You can educate ignorance but you just cant fix stupid.

Fortunately for me I do all my shooting on my own property & dont have to deal with dimwits. The only time I shoot elsewhere is when I attend matches & then of course there are allot of people all marching to the beat of the same drum.

I'm Glad you are safe...

I would have missed the lively banter if you had been in a range accident!

I would have missed the lively banter if you had been in a range accident!
When I am downrange, I always maintain vigilance of the line. I don't trust anyone. It will take an ambulance 30 minutes to reach this range. That is if they can find it.
Our shooting line is concrete with wooden benches. An metal awning/baffle is over head. There are several holes in the concrete, and awning/baffle.

IMO, inadequate muzzle/trigger control.

Rifle sight in for the public is coming up. That is when it really gets interesting.

Thanks for the kind comment Festus.

Because the owner of one range in my area is a shady businessman and the other range has perpetual safety violations, I have restricted myself to dry-fire practice sessions.

Because the owner of one range in my area is a shady businessman and the other range has perpetual safety violations, I have restricted myself to dry-fire practice sessions.

Link Removed You might want to give these a try if you can't get to the range. I have used them and they work pretty well. Just use a primer and the plastic bullet, no powder is needed.:pleasantry:

Link Removed You might want to give these a try if you can't get to the range. I have used them and they work pretty well. Just use a primer and the plastic bullet, no powder is needed.:pleasantry:
I wonder if those would work on troublesome alley cats, or coons? I did light one up with a paintball marker, however that leaves evidence.
We have a cat woman two doors down. The outside of her house smells like cat piss. I don't even wish to think what the inside reeks of.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back