Range Etiquette?

rugerfan.64

So being from MS and always having access to a place to shoot on our own family farm,I have never paid a penny to go shooting somewhere. Being that my job has taken me to Shreveport LA,and being that we're off on Sundays,I found a range. So my question is,is there any set protocol that is unspoken or implied that I am not aware of? We always stay safe at home. Action clear and open unless its on the line and pointed downrange. I havent been to an actual range since my Army days. Looking forward to going shooting this Sunday. Any comments,suggestions? Do I show up with my trusty pistola in the bag or concealed( my ccw is good in LA),ammo in a bag or just boxed? I may be a redneck but I at least want to put my best foot forward. LOL :thank_you2:

Ask

Most public ranges will have a published list of local rules...
Such as don't pick up brass that isn't yours
Don't go forward of the firing line to pick up brass
Never turn around with a loaded gun or the action closed
If there is a Range Master, listen for and follow commands.

Ask whoever you pay for access for their rules.

I usually pay for my range time/booth, then proceed to go out to my vehicle and bring in my firearms. This is for the local indoor range here in Panama City... For some reason, I'm just not comfortable with walking into a gun store with a firearm in my hand. :)

RF, I've seen your posts and you're a level-headed redneck.:pleasantry: You just be your thoughtful, rational self and it'll all be good. Start with the obvious - handle yourself and your weapon safely - and look around. You'll pick up the "tenor" of the range. There will probably be someone to greet you going in, and has already been posted, there'll probably be a list of range rules. I've both worn my firearm in, and cased it, so whatever. They'll tell you if they have a preference, and nicely, too. Have a great time.

Nice problem to have, it occurs to me: "Well I got my own range, and so I'm not sure how to act on a public range" !!! :cool: I'm VERY envious.

Thanks y'all,I've been sittin in the motel room doing some dry fire drills,watching Fox News,JJ dont be envious,range time alone is great when I'm working up rifle loads but other wise its more fun to share the range. I got the address to the range in the Garmin and I'm dead set on going Sunday. It sure beats sitting around this motel tomb. OOPs Room. Merry Christmas to all,and remember the REASON for this blessed season.

Thanks y'all,I've been sittin in the motel room doing some dry fire drills,watching Fox News,JJ dont be envious,range time alone is great when I'm working up rifle loads but other wise its more fun to share the range. I got the address to the range in the Garmin and I'm dead set on going Sunday. It sure beats sitting around this motel tomb. OOPs Room. Merry Christmas to all,and remember the REASON for this blessed season.
Be triple careful with dry firing drills in a motel, the walls are not bullet-proof and they will want a lot of money for a new TV.:rolleyes:

Unload and clear. Put the magazine well away [but where you can get to it if the door is broken].:nhl_checking:

You're absolutely right about what fun it is to "share the range". I just got back from another defensive handgun class at Frontsight, Nevada and have mentioned that t he comraderie amongst the shooters (and the instructors) is one of the key attractions of the whole deal. Have fun. Merry Christmas to you and yours, brother.

So being from MS and always having access to a place to shoot on our own family farm,I have never paid a penny to go shooting somewhere. Being that my job has taken me to Shreveport LA,and being that we're off on Sundays,I found a range. So my question is,is there any set protocol that is unspoken or implied that I am not aware of? We always stay safe at home. Action clear and open unless its on the line and pointed downrange. I havent been to an actual range since my Army days. Looking forward to going shooting this Sunday. Any comments,suggestions? Do I show up with my trusty pistola in the bag or concealed( my ccw is good in LA),ammo in a bag or just boxed? I may be a redneck but I at least want to put my best foot forward. LOL :thank_you2:
There is frequently a sign as you come into the parking lot telling you whether or not you can bring a loaded firearm beyond a certain point . Some ranges in Louisiana will not allow you to bring a loaded firearm onto the firing line, but will allow it if you have a Concealed Carry Permit. (I used to live in Louisiana before coming up to Montana).

Thanks y'all,I've been sittin in the motel room doing some dry fire drills...

Careful. I had a cop buddy in Houston who had a parrot who he had trained to say "DRAW!" and my friend would draw and dry fire practice. He had gone to the store and his old lady saw his revolver lying there with the bullets beside it. She didn't want hubby going off to work that evening with a gun he forgot to load so she did him a favor by reloading it for him.
When he got back from the convenience store he grabbed up his pistol and the parrot yelled "DRAW!" so he drew and fired and blew his bird away.

As far as ETIQUETTE goes, as long as you follow the basic safety rules and any local range rules, You should be OK. One suggestion though, if it is an indoor range stay away from the "BIG" guns. stick to 22 thru 45acp. No magnum calibers. This would be just common courtesy due to noise factor even if the range allows large calibers.

As far as ETIQUETTE goes, as long as you follow the basic safety rules and any local range rules, You should be OK. One suggestion though, if it is an indoor range stay away from the "BIG" guns. stick to 22 thru 45acp. No magnum calibers. This would be just common courtesy due to noise factor even if the range allows large calibers.

The noise factor at the local range from the .44 magnum is not really all that different from other calibers. Everyone at a range should be wearing ear protection anyway.

I was at a small 7 port indoor range once and the sign said "no magnum loads". I asked the range officer why they didn't allow them. He said the concussion breaks the overhead fluorescent lights. Does this sound plausible or was he handing me a load of...well...you know.....?

Hey y'all: If it is a range with several stalls BE AWARE OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY. I go to a quality gunshop with 18 stalls set up in 2 rooms of 9 stalls each. They have video surveillance on each stall but no one from the shop is actually in the shooting area and no one is stationed in front of the surveillance monitors watching the action. Vigilance is the key. I do notice that there are a few (maybe 3 or 4) very suspicious "holes" on the side panels of some stalls where the shooter actually stands--as I said, this is a very upscale shop with professionals behind the counter--many of the customers are LEOs of various sorts for purchases and training, but those "holes" are a red flag to me and I pay close attention to everyone who is in the room that I am in. I have yet to see anyone do anything that caused me alarm but you can bet your bippee that I would immediately say something to management the minute I see a dangerous situation. The only time I was concerned and I was leaving the room at that time was when several baggy pants guys came in with a large semi auto rifle (in this shop you can rent an AK47, an UZI, etc) and proceeded to fill one of those large circular mags--the idea that they were going to fire off a ton of ammo (the shop does say that "fast firing" is prohibited) scared the dickens out of me and if I had still been in there shooting I would definitely have gone to management and asked about this situation--just alerting them to please pay attention to that stall.

Went to the range today,shot thru 100 rounds pretty quick. It was fairly empty,didnt see any holes in the barricades between shooting lanes and yes I did look. As far as shooting ranges go I suppose this one was pretty nice. As an overall experience it was ok,I wont spend the money again to go to a range tho, seems we have alot more fun punching holes in cans and walking them across the pasture with our handguns. I just enjoy shooting I guess. Oh yeah,I managed to shoot fairly well for not having pulled the trigger in a while.
On a different note,I returned to my room and the phone rings. Its my wife,she says you wont ever guess what happened to me. I'm like well ,,,probably not. She had ran to Wal Mart with the baby,and parked way out where no one else was parked so she would have room to get the baby and all the groceries in the truck. OK,she comes out of Wal Mart and some thug is parked so close to her she cant get in the truck. He looks around and says oh,would you like to get in here,she replies that would be nice. Shes thinking hes going to be nice and move on,instead the guy replies, look at this bitch,there was another person sitting in the car with him,a female. My wife has the door open to the truck by now,so she just reaches in and puts her pistol holster and all into her coat pocket. Thug IMMEDIATELY starts up his car and leaves with great haste. I dont think she was actually brandishing a weapon,but the thought was carried across effectively.
Merry Christmas!!

The firing range i go to in Michigan permits CCW holders to exercise their privledges at the facility. However, there is a local firearms store with a sign posted on the building near the entrance that states to the effect: any person carrying a firearm not encased while entering this store will be considered part of an armed robbery!!

I always ask if I have permission to lower the tray in the booth, if they can be lowered. I ask if it is o.k. to draw and shoot, most ranges will not allow this unless the shooter has shown that he or she can do it safely. I also ask if practicing double taps, rapid fire, or providing my own targets is acceptable.

I have never refused to follow the rules of any range, adapting my training session to their rules. Having said that, there are more than a few that I did not return to. Truth is, you never know until you ask.

One rule that I would suggest is not to give any advice to the persons in the next booth unless asked. If I see unsafe behavior, I will take action. That action might be just going to the range owners and advising them. It depends on the type of behavior, and the attitude of the person conducting the dangerous actions. Sometimes a kind, firm word takes care of it.

Scott Wiliams
Defensive Tactics/Tactical Firearms Instructor

Hey blkdragon: Agree with your comments EXCEPT one thing that you said. If your neighbor is not following the rules, your opinion of them, IMO, is insufficient to be providing any sort of coaching or talking to. I, most definitley, will go out of the range area and request someone from the staff to come in and "discuss" protocol with the offender. At my range they have video cameras on all stalls and the staff can always refer to what they saw on the video as the reason for the discussion. When firearms are involved in any manner, it just seems prudent to stay out of any "discussion".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back