Railey says some journalists do know about guns

mappow

His post in Sundays paper; Railey says some journalists do know about guns - Winston-Salem Journal: John Railey
_
My response:
-
Some journalists do know about guns”, John Railey @ WSJ 10/13/13

In reference to the above 14 paragraphed opinion written in Sunday’s paper. Mr. Railey’s summation in “This I do know” paragraph is 1.) Stop youth, and unhinged people from getting hold of guns. 2.) Cartage restrictions and tougher penalties 3.) Ban citizens from legally carrying concealed weapons into WS parks.
_

I grew up in similar circumstances in a period that taught respect for others and the Law. The Golden Rule was predominant as well as the tools that taught life skills to function and as an American Citizen. I never remembered being taught that I could not protect myself and or family. Heck, I don’t remember being taught that I, fully armed, could not protect this country against enemies both foreign and domestic. Yes, I have served this country for over twelve years with honor.

What bothers me about this opinion as well as other gun control activists is that how dare government intervene in my 2nd Amendment Rights to bear Arms. How dare an entity of Local, State or Federal officials dictate to me that I MUST become a victim. That I cannot defend myself or others if I see a felony happening to me, family or fellow citizens. This felony, assault, being an act that would potentially result in death, grave injury or rape.

If I’m in a park in WS and see someone abducting your child, raping your wife or knifing you during a robbery or whatever scenario you play out, I guess according to Mr. Railey and others I should stand down and just report what I saw.

I could never stand down and not engage if witness to such mayhem. I was raise a bit different. My duty not only to my God, myself, family and the American People require me to engage. I am not a police officer and I always avoid any and all altercations. But I will engage to protect my family as well as yours from people that wish to do us harm. I refuse to be a mandated victim.

From the WSJ, email addresses have been redacted; (((Must read from the bottom up)))-
Mr. xxxxxxx, I’m sorry you’ve chosen not to participate in the Journal’s Readers’ Forum. I wouldn’t have written back to you if I weren’t interested in your view.

The column you’re responding to was written by John Railey, who is not a letter writer, but the editorial page editor of the Journal. Among his tasks, he’s paid to write a weekly column. No, you don’t get the same opportunities he does – no non-professional does. Such a wide-ranging forum would expand to a hundred pages daily and cost about $10 a day to purchase. It’s not practical.

But you have the same opportunity to participate in the Readers’ Forum that every other reader gets.

Incidentally, none of this has anything to do with the First Amendment, which doesn’t guarantee you the right to have your letter printed in a privately-owned forum.

Nevertheless, if you change your mind, we’d be glad to hear from you.

Thanks again,

Mick

Mick Scott

Editorial Department

Winston-Salem Journal

336-773-0646

Sent: Monday, October 14
To: Scott, Michael V.
Subject: RE: Response: Some journalists do know about guns.

Unfortunately MY First Amendment Right will not be heard due to your commercial decision to limit responses from those that subscribe or would like to ADD to opinions published by your paper.
I honestly cannot amend my post and still present my point of view. The WSJ staff did not limit John and his views. I truly find a travesty in this. Actually it reinforces what most media has become. A one way mouth piece to disseminate propaganda.
What a shame.

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Response: Some journalists do know about guns.
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013

Mr. Powers, thanks for writing to the Journal. I’m interested in what you have to say, but unfortunately, your letter exceeds our 250-word limit by quite a bit. Would you be interested in paring it down and submitting it again?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back