Radio Encounter- No CCW

wuzfuz

While on the road from Erie, PA back to Arizona, we were in an ice storm from Erie all the way to St. Louis. I always had a world of respect for the Ohio Patrol, as when I was a kid, almost every safety movie was made by the Ohio State Patrol. All along the highways in Ohio, are signs that state the Patrol monitors CB Channel 9. I saw a Jeep upside down in the median, and got on the CB for the Patrol. The guy who answered, after I gave the location of the accident. unknown if injuries, and I was a deputy sheriff from Arizona, but could not stop to offer assistance, as I was in the wrong lane. Whoever it ws on the other adopted a snotty attitude that undid all the Patrol had given me regarding that organization. From the way he spoke to me, you'd think he had information that I had caused the accident.

It could have been anybody on the other end. There's really no way of knowing who you're talking to on a CB. Before slamming a fellow LE agency, it would be nice to actually confirm that you spoke with legit agency personnel.

In this age of cell phones, one would think that you would be able to place a follow-up call, and report the poor response you got on the CB.

For a person who claims to be former LE, you seem pretty quick to slam them every chance you get. Have you forgotten the International LEO code?

gf

Radio encounter

As far as cell phones go, in 1988, we did not have cell phones available to us. There were a few on the market, but they were called 'bricks,' and cost a baby fortune. Also, they would not operate in Arizona in those days. I specifically asked for the Ohio State Patrol, not REACT or anyone in general, and the man responding identified himself as a trooper. If it had not been a trooper, i am sure the real trooper on monitoring duty would have revealed the deception. I did what a good citizen should do, and had it not been for the dangerous weather conditions and heavy traffic, I would have stopped to render aid. As I was not able to do so, I reported it to the proper authorities, and got disrespected for the effort. No wonder people don't want to get involved.

Your OP did not specify when the incident happened. Being that it was posted on 09/22/2008, it's reasonable to believe that it happened within the last few years, not 20 years ago. You state that you're a former LEO, so as a former LEO, you should know that one bad experience with a LE agency doesn't necessarily mean that the whole agency is bad. I find it disturbing that you're so quick to judge an entire agency due to the actions of one "trooper", especially since you've got no compelling evidence that it was in fact a "trooper" that you were talking to. All you have is a voice coming from a CB radio that assured you that he was a "trooper". Let's assume the response you got was from a trooper. There's no way of knowing who you are when you called in the incident. Was it necessary for you to ID yourself as an Arizona Deputy Sheriff? As you stated, any "good citizen" should have called it in. Maybe your tone and the fact that you identified yourself as an "Arizona Deputy Sheriff" caused the "trooper" to treat you differently. If I were a LEO in PA and I got a call from some high strung guy claiming to be a deputy sheriff from several states away, I'd be wondering what you were doing so far from home. I find it best to not give out too much information. In this situation, it may have been best to call in the incident as "Joe Citizen".

JMHO

gf

Yeah...one incident, back in 1988, in the middle of a blizzard, where you talked to some guy who may or may not have actually been Ohio HP, is not necessarily representative of an entire law enforcement agency. They probably deserve another chance.

It could have just been another Joe Citizen in his basement who was bored and thought he would yank your chain a little. Or maybe it was a real LEO who was on hour 14 of a busy 8-hour shift because no one could climb out of their chimney to come in to relieve him.

BTW, you the best opportunity so far anyone has had to legitimately use the :help: icon.

It could have been anybody on the other end. There's really no way of knowing who you're talking to on a CB. Before slamming a fellow LE agency, it would be nice to actually confirm that you spoke with legit agency personnel.

In this age of cell phones, one would think that you would be able to place a follow-up call, and report the poor response you got on the CB.

For a person who claims to be former LE, you seem pretty quick to slam them every chance you get. Have you forgotten the International LEO code?

gf

I agree. However, if it was indeed the Patrol, then I agree with wuzfuz.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back