Quick Question

Nutbar

I just got my concealed weapon permit in the mail after two months of waiting and I was wondering if I could get your opinions on something. I have a Taurus 917C 9mm handguns and I bought a Fobus BRV paddle holster. Now, I wear polo shirts most of the time...and you can sometimes see the outline of the handgun for just a brief second but the weapon itself would never be exposed...I was wondering if that could be a legal problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've never worried about printing too much. Unless you can see the weapon itself then you could have a cell phone, camera or a insulin pump on your hip as far as others know. I've gotten away from wearing my paddle holsters in favor of IWB holsters preferably ones that are tuckable. I don't know what state you are from but check your states definition of Concealable weapon and see what it says. In SC our definition is:
(6) “Concealable weapon” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here!

Last edited:
Check if the state is open carry

Yeah I remember having this issue. As said before check the status of your state. I did not have a chance too, but your probably alright anyways where you are right now. If your state is an open carry state, ie you can carry a gun openly, they your fine if you print. Honestly, it sounds like your probably ok right now. Usually the person carrying is much more observant of their own printing than others. I've only heard a very few occasions where someone was tagged for printing, and usually it was weighing 500 pounds and wearing a size 6 teeshirt and trying to skirt a gun in between. A bulge or a small shape of the handle is probably nothing to worry about. Walk around in front of a mirror or ask others. They probably will not see it unless they are looking for it. Most do not look for guns. The paranoia is good but will lax a bit as you become more comfortable. We ran a test one day where I wore a 9mm bersa, 5.5 inch Single Action Army, a 1903 colt 32, and a 38 spcl revolver. Trust me all but two were borrowed. I wore a pair of loose fit jeans and a loose collared shirt. The revolver and 32 were on separate leg holsters, the 9mm was in a smart carry, and the SAA was on a highrise holster. Albeit hard to walk, I wandered around the stores for a while and noone ever noticed. You would be surprised at how many people do not even notice a gun openly carried on a hip holster. Its all about how you act when you carry. If you look like your carrying a gun, people may take more notice. Check the law, I'll take a look if I have a chance, but I'm sure someone else may ring in. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input guys. By the way, I'm in Florida. Well good, cause I am a tad bit paranoid about it even though I'm licensed to carry it, never done it before, heh.

Once you get your confidence up about carrying then you will be okay. You are self conscious of it now but with time it becomes second nature to carry. I usually ask my wife before we go out, where's my gun? Most of the time she can't find it by looking.

Congratulations on your new permit. As was said, you'll gain confidence as you carry. I was uncomfortable initially, but now I am uncomfortable if I do not have it for some reason.

Youll get used to it.

When I first started carrying I felt like it must have looked like I had a baseballbat stuffed in my pants, I had been carrying for over two weeks straight and my wife hugged me and couldnt believe I had my gun on. She had no clue all that time. After awhile you will get comfortable and less self concious about it.

Yes, it could be an issue

Florida is a duty to conceal State so yes it could be a legal issue. Printing is a non-issue in open carry States which Florida is not. I would entertain a IWB holster that's tuckable or a SmartCarry both of which I use depending on the circumstances. Keep in mind the rust factor in Florida from sweat. Doesn't take much for it to cause rust spots on a blued firearm. Paddle holsters aren't a great method for CCW. If you're going to carry OWB, wear a jacket or a vest. If not carry IWB or in a SmartCarry. Another method which works for me and does an excellent job of protecting the firearm is a SafePacker. It looks like you have a camcorder case attached to your belt. The SafePacker is also good if you go in and out of prohibited areas regularly. This, however, won't work in deeper concealment situations like your place of employment or where you may be subject to a bag search such as a Florida amusement park in which case, you'd have to revert to IWB or a SmartCarry.

I also am in Florida.Wear lose fitting shirts .Rember that the person who makes you may be a robber at the stop and rob and he would take you out first.

I see. Do you guys carry cocked and locked with the thumb safety on or do you carry with the hammer decocked? ie: racking the slide and then using the decocker on your pistol. Oh, as for a IWB holster, I was thinking about getting a DeSantis Tuck This IWB for the Taurus PT 917 C that I use to carry. Any thoughts or suggestions on this or other IWB holsters?

Last edited:
As far as I know, 1911 model pistols are the only ones designed for "Cocked & Locked" carry. I carry a SA/DA gun at half-cock, safety off. It's a matter of personal comfort and trust in your weapon, but my suggestion is that you carry one in the pipe, safety off, and learn to double tap with the first shot being double action.

I see. My Taurus has a thumb safety lever up near the hammer and I am carrying with the weapon cocked and the thumb lever engaged.

Sounds like you have the standard arrangement of most SA/DA weapons nowadays. With the 1911, it has the grip safety AND the toggle safety up by the slide. It's a redundancy deal that if the grip safety's not engaged, the firing pin won't move. Your Taurus, if I'm correct, is a replica of the Beretta M-9. The only thing preventing firing is that manual safety. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but military guys don't carry that one Cocked and Locked, right? Long story short, I prefer to not have the hammer back when I carry.

I carry with the hammer down on a double action loaded chamber. As for the Desantis Tuck this. You might want to rethink that. If you can look at one first please do. Initially I liked mine, but it has some sharp edges that cut into me. Another reasonable price IWB is Bianchi 100 pro. It's not tuckable, but I like mine a lot better than the desanti. However, I am still looking for a better holster. My wife has a Don Hume that is very nice.

I carry a Sig P229 Equinox in a Galco IWB holster most of the time. Sometimes I carry a Kahr CW9 in an OWB holster by Bob Mernickle. In weather too warm for a vest or jacket, I carry either the Kahr or a Ruger SP101 in a holster similar to a SmartCarry. I'm in Nevada, so I'm not very worried about printing. I just prefer not to make people uneasy. I carry all of these guns with one in the chamber. On the rare occasion that I wear my Taurus PT1911, I carry it cocked and locked, like it was designed.

responses and opinions

1. gun 'printing': Dress around the gun. Either a longer shirt is in order or consider an IWB.
2. cocked and locked carry: A friend has the same Taurus and it is designed to be safely carried either way. I would recommend carrying with the first shot DA for liability/safety reasons until you are more comfortable and proficient.

New Permit

As stated above, all can depend on where you live, and I would add, where you are at. Not much of an issue here in VA, and I would think even where they do not have 'open carry' it would not be the issue of concern, to a major degree. There again you never know. Quite frankly, there are those out there that love to make issues out of just about anything. A gun? They really jump on the band wagon. Concealed means just that, but with your permit, I would think you would be on firmer ground than without it. Also, where you are can play a part. If you find yourself in the post office, that could be bad news. Many states are passing laws that forbid the 'bergs' from passing their own idiot laws, as well they should. Many new permit holders worry way too much about printing, at least I feel they do. However, it is always good to be a bit concerned, if only to make life easier on yourself. ;) Congrats on your permit! :)

i agree with Red Hat,after awhile you will miss it like your wallet or watch,i've carried since 1963 and it is the first thing i think of,my wife said to me one day,why don't you shower with it you have it all the time.it will come natural before long

Sounds like you have the standard arrangement of most SA/DA weapons nowadays. With the 1911, it has the grip safety AND the toggle safety up by the slide. It's a redundancy deal that if the grip safety's not engaged, the firing pin won't move. Your Taurus, if I'm correct, is a replica of the Beretta M-9. The only thing preventing firing is that manual safety. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but military guys don't carry that one Cocked and Locked, right? Long story short, I prefer to not have the hammer back when I carry.

That is correct as regards the M-9 AKA the Beretta and the excellent copy that Taurus makes. The story I got on the Taurus model is that they bought all the manufacturing equipment from Beretta and just changed the name on the gun. It should function the same way with the safety also acting as a de-cocker. In other words if there is a round in the chamber all you have to do is put the weapon on safe and it will send the hammer home with out firing the gun. Practice on the range untile you are completly comfortable with it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back