Quick clot?

I've used a similar product in the veterinary field many times. It does work BUT it works far better if you can apply pressure after application. I doubt the success of a squeamish individual just scattering the powder on or around a deep wound-you're going to have to get messy.

You should be using a Quick Clot gauze or sponge product and not the old powder product for emergency trauma treatment. You are right that pressure is key, which is why a compression bandage should be used in combination with Quick Clot.

I've used a similar product in the veterinary field many times. It does work BUT it works far better if you can apply pressure after application.
QuikClot, Celox, HemCon, WoundStat, TraumaDex and other products like them are all classified as procoagulant supplements. They are supplements because they were never intended to be used as a singular method of bleeding control. They should only be used as part of a bleeding control strategy, and the instructions for their use do say to apply them with pressure.
I doubt the success of a squeamish individual just scattering the powder on or around a deep wound-you're going to have to get messy
I too doubt the success probability of any person, squeamish or otherwise, that attempts to control bleeding by simply placing a QuikClot bandage on top of a wound. But the complete irrationality of the application of a product, in direct contradiction of it's instructions, is hardly the fault of the product.
QuikClot hasn't been available in a powder form for quite some time. The powdered zeolite used in the original generation created an exothermic reaction to absorb the water in blood and react with the red blood cells, causing the blood to clot far more quickly than it does naturally. But the reaction used heat to absorb water, and it sometimes generated enough heat to cause burns within the wound. The burns weren't medically significant, and they were far preferable to uncontrolled bleeding, but they were still less than optimal, so the powder was changed to zeolite beads in the second generation of QuikClot. These beads were placed in a mesh bag that could be packed into a wound or used as dressing for a wound, and changes were made to reduce the temperature of the zeolite reaction. They also began offering QuikClot with the active ingredient impregnated into the dressing itself, which they still do.
And by the way, since we're on the topic, technically a bandage isn't something you put onto a wound. A dressing is what you place on a wound. A bandage is what you use to hold a dressing in place. But even the makers of QuikClot call it a bandage when the dressing and bandage are combined into a single unit product, so this is presented far more as educational than a request for compliance. How you say it isn't all that important, but knowing the difference between the two sometimes can be.
The third generation of QuikClot has eliminated zeolite entirely, and is now made using kaolin, a clay made from hydrated aluminum silicate. This product is also marketed under the name Combat Gauze, which is the only clotting agent officially approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
Another product called Celox uses chitosan, a substance made from the shells of sea creatures such as crabs, lobsters and shrimps. Celox has long been considered to be as effective as QuikClot, and many people, myself included for some time, considered it an excellent alternative to QuikClot if the prices and availability were right. But some recent clinical studies have found Celox to be significantly less effective than QuikClot.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back