Questions for the ladies

CaptAmerica

My daughter is about to be 21 and old enough for her CCW.

She is very good with guns, not afraid of them, safe and a really good shot.
However she is hesitant to carry a gun because of it being uncomfortable or not easy to hide well. She wears everything from jeans and a t-shirt to dressing up all fancy.
Also she has a much younger brother (8 years old) who is around all the time.

I am looking for suggestions on a small, automatic hand gun (.380 or larger) that is reliable, easy to use under pressure, and safe to carry. Because a younger child is often around the house I also want one that is safe when she takes it off at night. For example a decocker would be great. I like the fact mine wont fire the one in the chamber if I drop the clip.

Then I am looking for ways she can carry that will make her more comfortable (thus more willing to carry).

I am not a lady so hope you do not mind me inserting my 2 cents worth. Have you, she considered a small 5 shot revolver like the Smith and Wesson 642? Small, light weight and easy to conceal with no external hammer. Both my wife and daughter carry one. If she goes that way tell her to be sure and get it with out the internal lock. They come both ways now.

I am not a lady so hope you do not mind me inserting my 2 cents worth. Have you, she considered a small 5 shot revolver like the Smith and Wesson 642? Small, light weight and easy to conceal with no external hammer. Both my wife and daughter carry one. If she goes that way tell her to be sure and get it with out the internal lock. They come both ways now.

I am open to every ones ideas.

Personally I am not a fan of hammerless revolvers, but that may be a good idea for her. something to think about and look at.

I have no experience with them, but how about the Bersa Thunder .380? It has a safety/decocker. Or the Ruger LCP? Honestly your options are growing everyday with the small concealeable pistols coming out. I believe SIG has come out with a nifty .380 also

I have no experience with them, but how about the Bersa Thunder .380? It has a safety/decocker. Or the Ruger LCP? Honestly your options are growing everyday with the small concealeable pistols coming out. I believe SIG has come out with a nifty .380 also

I carry the Bersa Thunder Plus .380 in either an Uncle Mikes or a Crossbreed Super Tuck and I love it, but she says that is to bulky to carry.

I think a Super Tuck is great for her when she is wearing jeans even without a belt, but it wouldn't work for dresses or slacks

Don't mess with Mama!

My wife has no fear with her two little friends: Blackie and Red:

DanawithBlackieandRed.jpg

But seriously - A Charter Arms undercover in a pocket holster or inside the pants clip-on works very well in almost any purse or pocket. The charter arms undercover revolver with Barami Hip grips also is very simple and secure to carry.

My wife has no fear with her little frineds Blackie and Red.
DanawithBlackieandRed.jpg

But seriously, A small J-frame in a pocket holster or a inside the pants clip-on works very well in almost amy purse or pocket. It does not have to be "inside the pants" to work well.

She likes a Charter Arms Undercover in .38 special

My suggestion is the Walther PPS. It's only 1.04" at it's widest point, which is the slide stop. Standard flush magazine holds 6 9mm, or 5 .40 S&W. There are two more magazine sizes, each with additional finger grips, which increase mag capacity by one and two, respectively. It also has a small and large backstrap, and the gun can't fire with the backstrap removed, which may alleviate her worries with the 8 year old around.

Here's a good review from gunblast.com: http://www.gunblast.com/Walther-PPS.htm

I am not a female but I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT or a Ruger LCP as my daily carry and really like both (they are virtually identical). .380 seems to becoming more acceptable as the ammo gets better and these are light, simple, point and shoot self defense powerhouses that fit nearly anywhere. Good long double actiona for safety. I also carry a PM9 from time to time and it seems like it weighs a ton after getting used to the "mouse guns".

I'm a woman and I carry 2 semi-automatics: Colt 1911 .45 and Beretta 92 SB Compact 9mm. I see no reason to carry anything less powerful or smaller. People are no less threatening or dangerous just because I may be smaller than a man. I feel that I am able to mitigate harm to my person or to my family with what I carry.

Regardless of what is chosen, if there is a young child in the house, then the gun should be locked up when not on person.

I'm a woman and I carry 2 semi-automatics: Colt 1911 .45 and Beretta 92 SB Compact 9mm. I see no reason to carry anything less powerful or smaller. People are no less threatening or dangerous just because I may be smaller than a man. I feel that I am able to mitigate harm to my person or to my family with what I carry.

Ok, as a woman, how do you carry these? Forgive me but as a guy I am either wearing jeans or dress pants and I always wear a belt... I have to imagine the ladies have such a wide range of clothing that the holster is a challenge.

As for locking a gun up, IMO it may as well be unloaded also. I am just uncomfortable with a locked up gun. I taught her and her sisters gun SAFETY and I never ever worry in my house. however the younger brother is my ex-wifes child and he has not been taught as much about guns as my children so I am worried about safety when not worn.
looking at one of these safes but undecided LG Outdoors: Gunvault Deluxe Mini Gun Safe With Electronic Keypad Md: GV1000DLX, GunVault Gun Safes & Accessories

I'm all for woman carrying, but I think that she should be the one picking it out. I would take her to a gun shop and let her see, feel, and shoot(if you can rent) the ones she is interested in. How she is going to carry is going to be her call as well, and will vary depending on how she is dressed. There is a myriad of holster and carry systems out there, but at the end of the day it will be her that is carrying the gun, not you. You might want to tell her about the different types of holsters, pocket books, bellybands etc. out there.

Have you started teaching your 8 year old gun safety yet?

Ok, as a woman, how do you carry these? Forgive me but as a guy I am either wearing jeans or dress pants and I always wear a belt... I have to imagine the ladies have such a wide range of clothing that the holster is a challenge.

As for locking a gun up, IMO it may as well be unloaded also. I am just uncomfortable with a locked up gun. I taught her and her sisters gun SAFETY and I never ever worry in my house. however the younger brother is my ex-wifes child and he has not been taught as much about guns as my children so I am worried about safety when not worn.
looking at one of these safes but undecided LG Outdoors: Gunvault Deluxe Mini Gun Safe With Electronic Keypad Md: GV1000DLX, GunVault Gun Safes & Accessories

I, too, wear pants and use a belt. I carry in a holster on my hip; if that's not practical then I carry in a fanny pack. I don't wear dresses or skirts. I won't wear something that would preclude my carrying. There is no reason to compromise my safety for fashion.

I'm all for woman carrying, but I think that she should be the one picking it out. I would take her to a gun shop and let her see, feel, and shoot(if you can rent) the ones she is interested in. How she is going to carry is going to be her call as well, and will vary depending on how she is dressed. There is a myriad of holster and carry systems out there, but at the end of the day it will be her that is carrying the gun, not you. You might want to tell her about the different types of holsters, pocket books, bellybands etc. out there.

Have you started teaching your 8 year old gun safety yet?

I agree, but as a father I am pushing her to carry. She has no problem with guns as I said, she just doesn't want to 'deal with' carrying. So I am looking at ideas for her. I am trying to sell her on the idea of carrying and her only objection is she just doesn't want to lug around a gun and she doesn't know how she would wear one comfortably. I plan to rent some and let her pick, I just want some ideas I haven't thought of.

As for the 8 year old, he isn't my child, he is my ex-wifes child. He knows a little about gun safety but not near what he should IMHO. I would not leave my gun on my night stand with him around like I would with my own kids around.

I don't wear dresses or skirts. I won't wear something that would preclude my carrying. There is no reason to compromise my safety for fashion.

Ahh, that's my problem. She is 21 so she has to make the fashion statements some times. plus she has to dress up for work - no jeans. So I am still at a bit of a loss.
This has become more challenging the more I think about it.

I don't know what type of job she has, or how she has to dress for work but there is always an option. For deep concealment maybe thunderwear or smart carry. There are quick opening day planners, and attache cases that are made to hide a handgun if she works in an office type setting.

Have her check out this website:
Cornered Cat

IIRC, Sig came out with the P238, which doesn't have a decocker, but has a safety. As always, it comes with everything Sig has been known for. Accuracy, reliability, and ergonomics. It's small enough to fit in a pocket/wallet holster, so if your daughter has a pocket, she's good to go. A .380 sub-compact is not really going to be that uncomfortable, or hard to conceal. I can conceal my Sig P239 quite easily with an IWB holster, and a t-shirt, and that's considerably both bigger, and wider than the P238.

As for gun safety, if your daughter is safe with guns, then she should be able to put her gun away properly, so that it doesn't present a risk to the 8yo. I completely understand your concern for your daughter's safety. No question about that. I do believe that she should be the one to decide if she wants to carry or not. If she's not committed to being a carrier, than what's to say she won't just leave the gun at home? Ultimately it should be up to her 100%, regarding whether or not she wants to carry, what gun to carry, and how to carry it. The only thing left for you should be showing her all the different types of holsters, and demonstrating that carrying is not as uncomfortable as she may think.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back