Questions for the ladies

Ultimately it should be up to her 100%, regarding whether or not she wants to carry, what gun to carry, and how to carry it. The only thing left for you should be showing her all the different types of holsters, and demonstrating that carrying is not as uncomfortable as she may think.

I guess what I am trying to do is get some feedback so I can present her with new ideas in guns and carry methods.

She is still my baby, so anything I can do to help her choose the right combination that makes her feel better about carrying I want to do.

I don't know what type of job she has, or how she has to dress for work but there is always an option. For deep concealment maybe thunderwear or smart carry. There are quick opening day planners, and attache cases that are made to hide a handgun if she works in an office type setting.

Have her check out this website:
Cornered Cat

They also make purses with built in hidden access for guns. My wife and daughter carry this way. Carrying in something off your body is not the most secure way but it is better than not having it at all.

I wish there were a forum here for WOMEN who carry, stating their height, weight, body shape, weapon, method of carry, and any other relevant/helpful information (ladies, this is anonymous so no need to hedge about the true statistics! [grin]) It would save the rest of us a lot of trial and error (and the requisite collection of holsters!).

I am lady, 5'6", 130 lbs, and slim (think 'beanpole' with a slight amount of muscle definition; I wear size 8 jeans and my hips don't flair out much...oh, and I have average sized hands). I have successfully carried and concealed two 9mm weapons so far:

1) HK USP 9 compact
2) Kahr MK9.

I have the following holsters:
a) Blackhawk Serpa for USP9c: fabulous holster, great retention system (release button), impossible for me to conceal; great for at home or in the yard when concealment is not an issue
b) Fobus Compact Roto holster for MK9: another fabulous holster, great retention system (pressure), very difficult to conceal; great for at home or in the yard when concealment is not an issue
c) Blackhawk leather IWB for USP9c: uncomfortable for me (I tried 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions, and I have a flat belly), decent concealment though with roomy pants

The holsters that I use everyday for successful concealment of both weapons is a OWB leather holster by Don Hume (721 OT, one for each gun). I wear them in the 4-5 o'clock position, where the curve of the bottom to the waist hides the presence of a gun. My CCW instructor, a woman of small stature and slim build (5' and under 100 lbs?), wore this same kind of rig (not sure if it was the same brand) with her Glock 19. I should have tried her method first, I guess.... Anyway, I can conceal in jeans and a T-shirt that comes down to the top of my back pockets, provided the T-shirt is not too fitted. Cooler weather concealment is a snap because of the added layers.

I am still on the lookout for a good IWB rig, and am considering the Crossbreed Mini-tuck for the MK9, which I am wearing more and more.

The Kahr guns are a great option, and have incredibly smooth DAO triggers. It took quite a bit of research before I got comfortable with the idea of a striker-fired pistol (which is why I went with the HK first ... it has a hammer, safety, and decocker), but I have come to love its size, its shootability, and its quality of manufacture. They feel absolutely wonderful in my hand, and my MK9 shoots very comfortably--even for range days of 100+ rounds. Research the P9, K9, and PM9.

The HK USP9c is also a fabulous gun (DA/SA). With 13+1 in a very concealable package, it is totally reliable and extremely comfortable to shoot. Again, very comfortable to hold in the hand. Recoil is minimal. If it weren't for the fact that I'm not even aware of carrying the MK9, I would carry this one more often.

I wear jeans most every day, but if your daughter wears skirts or dresses, a thigh rig for a small-sized gun would be easy to access. Never tried one, just considering what I would wear in that instance (I prefer on the body carry vs. off the body).

All posters who say you should take your daughter to choose the gun are right: despite researching dimensions, weights, capacities, etc, there is nothing like finding a gun that FITS your hand. I thought for sure I was going to come home with a Sig 239, but while the grip was right, the way the weight of the gun was distributed front to back and top to bottom just didn't sit right with me. So it was with great surprise that I left the store with an H&K.

I think you asked about safely securing the gun when she isn't wearing it. I have a couple of the following:
Link Removed

I use them at home when guests are in the house, and since it has a cable I also use it to secure the gun in the vehicle for those rare times when I enter gun-free zones. Very economical and handy!

Best of luck,

Great stuff.

Right now we are looking at either a Ruger LCP or a Bersa Thunder. Still stumped on the carry method. She is not a big fan of off body carry. Her mother had her purse snatched in a parking lot by a guy hanging out of a car window driving by. The thought of someone taking her gun is not comfortable.

I think she likes the super tuck with jeans, just not sure what she will do in slacks/sweats/ or dresses yet.

We are getting there, keep the great ideas coming!!

I wish there were a forum here for WOMEN who carry, stating their height, weight, body shape, weapon, method of carry, and any other relevant/helpful information (ladies, this is anonymous so no need to hedge about the true statistics! [grin]) It would save the rest of us a lot of trial and error (and the requisite collection of holsters!).

I don't know how this is done but you can always talk to Luke McCoy, the site's owner, about setting one up. I think it's a great idea! I'd join!

Luke: Link Removed

Great stuff.

Right now we are looking at either a Ruger LCP or a Bersa Thunder. Still stumped on the carry method. She is not a big fan of off body carry. Her mother had her purse snatched in a parking lot by a guy hanging out of a car window driving by. The thought of someone taking her gun is not comfortable.

I think she likes the super tuck with jeans, just not sure what she will do in slacks/sweats/ or dresses yet.

Hey CaptAmerica

What part of Florida are you from. I have a nice selection of handguns including a Keltec P3AT with pocket holsters, IWB, and ankle setups. I also have a female co-worker that has a LCP with a below the belt inside the waste band holster. If you are anywhere near Clearwater I'd be willing to meet up. She could mess with the different configurations and that may help her decide. Most likely she'll end up with several different methods of carry depending on how she's dressing that day.

My grandma just bought a 2" hammerless revolver and really likes it. I think she plans on getting one of the carry purses to carry in.

Hey CaptAmerica

What part of Florida are you from. I have a nice selection of handguns including a Keltec P3AT with pocket holsters, IWB, and ankle setups. I also have a female co-worker that has a LCP with a below the belt inside the waste band holster. If you are anywhere near Clearwater I'd be willing to meet up. She could mess with the different configurations and that may help her decide. Most likely she'll end up with several different methods of carry depending on how she's dressing that day.

My grandma just bought a 2" hammerless revolver and really likes it. I think she plans on getting one of the carry purses to carry in.

I would love to meet up, but I am up near Jacksonville.

I agree about several methods of carrying. We have discussed that. I am not a big fan of that. To me it is better to have the same thing in the same place every time, but as my daughter put it I am CDO... that's like being OCD but in alphabetical order. :sarcastic:

I would love to meet up, but I am up near Jacksonville.

I agree about several methods of carrying. We have discussed that. I am not a big fan of that. To me it is better to have the same thing in the same place every time, but as my daughter put it I am CDO... that's like being OCD but in alphabetical order. :sarcastic:

Bummer I was just up in Jacksonville a couple weekends ago for a friends graduation party.

I agree about being consistent with were you carry. I carry 98% of the time the same way but there are times were my attire limits how I carry.

Hopefully your daughter can find someone that has a few of the setups she is thinking about. Trying them out would be a huge benefit.

Great stuff.

My wife has shot and is familiar with both the Bersa, LCP and other 380acp handguns. She'll tell you it's Bersa hands down!

There are benefits of a super small pocket gun like the LCP; especially when it comes to womens body hugging fashions and use as a BUG.

BUT!!!

My wife will also tell you that she wants a little more gun when she is out alone or with the kids.

IMO; I would tell her to buy TWO hand guns. A mid-size for everyday carry in 380acp; 9mm or larger AND a small gun like an LCP, Kahr or Kel-tec for dress up; dating and special occassions when a larger hg isn't practical.

IF buying two guns is not an option, my wife will tell you that you can't go wrong with a Bersa 380. I would concur that it would be one of my first choices as a "compromise" between a good everyday carry and a BUG.

As far as holsters go:
There is really nothing wrong with having several. We use several different ones from a cheap "Uncle Mikes" to a "Supertuck" and "Smartcarry" to more expensive Leather IWB holsters. We've just discovered different holsters work better under different situations.

Incidently;
My wifes overall favorite holster is a cheap but comfortable "Uncle Mikes". My overall favorite is the "Smartcarry" for summer and a cheap "Maverick Tuckable" for winter. (These are the "ONLY" two holsters I actually forget I have on.)

I will tell you that a "Smartcarry" can nicely conceal a Bersa and two extra magazines under "most" clothing except skin tight jeans and tight dresses. (Sweats and normal dresses included)

A garter holster and LCP work well under a body hugging dress; and my wife usually carrys her Bersa 380 in a cheap "Uncle Mikes" in her tighter jeans and slacks.

I hope this has been helpful.

My wife has shot and is familiar with both the Bersa, LCP and other 380acp handguns. She'll tell you it's Bersa hands down!

There are benefits of a super small pocket gun like the LCP; especially when it comes to womens body hugging fashions and use as a BUG.

BUT!!!

My wife will also tell you that she wants a little more gun when she is out alone or with the kids.

IMO; I would tell her to buy TWO hand guns. A mid-size for everyday carry in 380acp; 9mm or larger AND a small gun like an LCP, Kahr or Kel-tec for dress up; dating and special occassions when a larger hg isn't practical.

IF buying two guns is not an option, my wife will tell you that you can't go wrong with a Bersa 380. I would concur that it would be one of my first choices as a "compromise" between a good everyday carry and a BUG.

As far as holsters go:
There is really nothing wrong with having several. We use several different ones from a cheap "Uncle Mikes" to a "Supertuck" and "Smartcarry" to more expensive Leather IWB holsters. We've just discovered different holsters work better under different situations.

Incidently;
My wifes overall favorite holster is a cheap but comfortable "Uncle Mikes". My overall favorite is the "Smartcarry" for summer and a cheap "Maverick Tuckable" for winter. (These are the "ONLY" two holsters I actually forget I have on.)

I will tell you that a "Smartcarry" can nicely conceal a Bersa and two extra magazines under "most" clothing except skin tight jeans and tight dresses. (Sweats and normal dresses included)

A garter holster and LCP work well under a body hugging dress; and my wife usually carrys her Bersa 380 in a cheap "Uncle Mikes" in her tighter jeans and slacks.

I hope this has been helpful.

+1 on the Bersa Thunder. I love mine!

I wish she had the budget to get two guns, and eventually - like all of us, she will get more I am sure.
I agree about having several holsters too. I have two favorites, an uncle mikes, and a super tuck. I think she will want several depending on what she is wearing.

The ideas and suggests have been great, keep them coming. I am a single dad and the info is a great help as I help my child get more comfortable with the idea of carrying.

When my GF and I first got into guns, we took a training course that included some videos. In those, the woman's story had her drawing from her purse. It showed her practicing, and included a scene acted out where she actually had to draw on a potential mugger.

From that, we gathered that that's how women carried - special purses. It never occurred to us that a woman would actually consider some kind of holster.

My GF looked at several, and had difficulty finding one that was functional and still reasonably fashionable. But, she ended up with one she can live with.

Carrying is one thing. Concealment is another. Neither of us has a problem with carrying, but neither of us do because of the compromises required to conceal. I would think women would be especially reluctant to make the fashion concessions necessary to concealed carry.

I would think women would be especially reluctant to make the fashion concessions necessary to concealed carry.

I'm not looking for an argument, but that's a pretty hefty assumption and I'm not buying into that generalization, sorry. Where there's a will, there's a way. If there's no will, then okay. Fashion should be absolutely no deterrent to safety. There are too many choices out there for cc for both men and women. I don't think that each and every holster, holder, or whatever that is available for men or women are all especially the most comfortable items possible, neither are shoes. We learn to live with things. If fashion is the foremost thought on the brain then safety is taking a back seat. Not acceptable imho. If a woman really wanted to carry and is not just talked into carry, they would work out a way to accomplish it.

My wife was in the same situation when she turned 21. We started her off with the SP-101. 5 shot, smaller and if it mis-fires, just pull the trigger again. I was concerned in a stressful situation with this being her first firearm in the stress of the moment if a semi didnt fire would she have the presents of mind to grab the slide and start over, or just "freak".
It worked out as she has moved from that to first a Ruger 90DC, and now a H&KP2000 sub compact. She has tried many different holsters, but regularly carries in a purse. Not the best off person, but the best in her work situation. She was never happy with the purses out there, and just last month made a purse herself with a hard shell in the bottom and a formed holster from the material to hold the firearm in a draw position.Oh and to the other question about size, 5'9.5" 105 lbs. So any firearm on her either digs into her or prints like a billboard "Hey everybody, I am carrying".
She is now an NRA instructor and specializes in teaching women for their CCW.

I'm not looking for an argument, but that's a pretty hefty assumption and I'm not buying into that generalization, sorry. Where there's a will, there's a way. If there's no will, then okay. Fashion should be absolutely no deterrent to safety. There are too many choices out there for cc for both men and women. I don't think that each and every holster, holder, or whatever that is available for men or women are all especially the most comfortable items possible, neither are shoes. We learn to live with things. If fashion is the foremost thought on the brain then safety is taking a back seat. Not acceptable imho. If a woman really wanted to carry and is not just talked into carry, they would work out a way to accomplish it.

Well, you found an argument. :)

You're projecting your set of priorities onto others. You place safety above fashion. Good for you. But, you can't tell me that for the vast majority of women, fashion doesn't weigh heavily into any decision regarding concealment.

I did not talk my GF into anything. She is the one who wanted to get into this, not me. It's because of her that I got into it. But, she learned that there's a whole lot more to this than she realized at first.

Again, the presumption was that women used purses to carry their weapons. Granted, that's not necessarily true, but I can guarantee you that my GF will choose to not carry if she has to wear and conceal a holster. Fact of life. And I can guarantee you that there are many others out there of the same opinion. For most women, I submit that they think "it's not worth it".

You may disagree with her priorities, but you can't deny that fashion enters into the equation FAR more often for women than men. If you don't believe me, just look at some closets. :)

Well, you found an argument. :)

You're projecting your set of priorities onto others. You place safety above fashion. Good for you. But, you can't tell me that for the vast majority of women, fashion doesn't weigh heavily into any decision regarding concealment.

I did not talk my GF into anything. She is the one who wanted to get into this, not me. It's because of her that I got into it. But, she learned that there's a whole lot more to this than she realized at first.

Again, the presumption was that women used purses to carry their weapons. Granted, that's not necessarily true, but I can guarantee you that my GF will choose to not carry if she has to wear and conceal a holster. Fact of life. And I can guarantee you that there are many others out there of the same opinion. For most women, I submit that they think "it's not worth it".

You may disagree with her priorities, but you can't deny that fashion enters into the equation FAR more often for women than men. If you don't believe me, just look at some closets. :)

Just a difference of opinion is all. I agree to disagree. Thanks for keeping it civil.

One Valentines day hubby gave me a titanium hamerless revolver. I thought it was great, lightweight until I went to the range to practice and couldn't hit the side of a barn. Traded it in for a Kimber 9mm and my accuracy improved 100%. I'm in a tactical group and the range let's us use their guns if you don't have one, it's a good idea to try different ones as people have different tastes and abilities. Don't think a revolver is dummy proof either we had two jam on two different women recently.

I would have to disagree on the semi/revolver if comparing same brand to same brand types (smith/smith) the chances of a semi jamming are a bit higher than a semi. The industry experts contend if it doesn't fire even the most inexperienced shooter will pull the trigger again. I do not think any gun is void of jamming, but I do know maintenance on a revolver is much easier and there is less chance on a newbie to make a mistake when reassembling after cleaning or even forgetting to clean which again is where the revolver edges ahead on the opinion.
I know I am not as good a shot with any type of revolver that requires double-action with every pull. I understand the reason for the hammer-less, but DA only for me in the beginning would have made me question my ability.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back