Questions about Hawaii Laws

JUKING

I am a former resident of Hawaii. It's been years since I've been to Honolulu. I am planning to move back to Honolulu (possibly Waikiki) this year. I was wondering what to expect in terms of Hawaii gun laws..regarding transporting them into the state..I have a 10+1 Para 3" barrel .45 semi auto (Warthog), and an 18" barrel Remington 6+1 Express Shotgun..I plan to keep them in my home..Do I need to register them? Also, I heard that you have to be certified (20 hr course), in order to own a handgun. I am planning to keep them at home for protection, and that is it. I do not plan to use them for any other purpose. Also, are there any private or public ranges? thanks!

Could anyone tell me if permits are required, and a little about Hawaii laws concerning home protection, vehicle conveyance, etc..thanks again!

Last edited:
You will need to register your firearms with the appropriate county police department within 72 hours of arrival into the state (that would be you as the firearms owner and the firearms). Be sure upon receipt of your firearms in the state, check to see that they are unloaded. You can then transport them to the police station (the main Honolulu police station if you're living on the island of Oahu). Firearms need to be unloaded and in either 1) hard sided lockable case 2) soft case or gun sock commercially manufactured and designed specifically for the transport of firearms 3) The original shipping container from the firearms manufacturer. (My shotguns both came in cardboard boxes. I picked them up from the store and stopped off at the police station on my way home.) Don't take any ammunition or magazines when registering your firearms. Hawaii law prohibits civilians from owning any handgun caliber magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. If you have "hi-cap" magazines, you should dispose of them prior to your arrival here in Hawaii. Registration takes about an hour. If you haven't been fingerprinted by the Honolulu police for firearms purchases in the past, then you will need to have payment of $30.25 at the time of registration. This is to cover the fees that HPD pays for the FBI background check. You will get your firearms back the same day and will be issued a permit for your firearms on the day you register them, provided that you don't have any outstanding warrants or other disqualifying matters in your criminal history.

In order to acquire firearms here in Hawaii, you will need to have one of 2 things: 1) Hawaii State Hunter Education certificate and card 2) Affidavit from an NRA instructor, military commander, police organization, etc. that states that you have completed a minimum of 4 classroom hours and 2 hours on the range in a curriculum that teaches the safe handling, use, storage and Hawaii laws regulating firearms. The State Hunter Education class is free. The class is 12 hours and is given over a 2 or 3 day period (depends on the location and availability of instructors). There are various NRA classes here in Hawaii. Cost range is $85 to $300. Best advice is to shop around. You can contact me off-list for further information.

There is only 1 public range here on the island of Oahu. It's run by the City & County.
Here's a link to their website: Link Removed

There are 2 indoor ranges 1) Magnum Firearms on Queen Street and 2) Waikiki Gun Club on Kalakaua (beginning of Waikiki). Both ranges offer rental guns and have membership programs for frequent shooters.

Home protection is a very touchy subject that I don't discuss in public view. I'm not an attorney, and don't offer legal advice. I strongly recommend talking to an attorney who is familiar with Hawaii Law governing the use of "lethal force". My understanding of the law is that you can use "lethal force" in a few circumstances. 1) To defend yourself from death. 2) To defend yourself from "serious bodily injury" (basically injuries that can be fatal) 3) To defend yourself from rape. 4) To defend yourself from kidnapping 5) To defend yourself from Forcible Sodomy. 6) In defense of others (family member, loved one, business acquaintance, etc that would be justified to use "lethal force" in a particular situation) Best idea is to check with an attorney for legal definitions or advice.

Transporting firearms and ammunition is restricted to specific places. 1) To and from the police station or other law enforcement agency. 2) To and from the shooting range. 3) To and from the repair facility 4) To and from an organized shooting event, formal class, or scheduled show. 5) To and from a licensed gun dealer. 6) To and from your place of business. 7) To and from your place of residence or sojourn (where you sleep). Detailed firearms laws can be found at: Link Removed

Hope I've answered your questions. Contact me off line if you need detailed information.

gf

In order to acquire firearms here in Hawaii, you will need to have one of 2 things: 1) Hawaii State Hunter Education certificate and card 2) Affidavit from an NRA instructor, military commander, police organization, etc. that states that you have completed a minimum of 4 classroom hours and 2 hours on the range in a curriculum that teaches the safe handling, use, storage and Hawaii laws regulating firearms.
I assume that I may be exempt from some or all of the above requirements if I bring my own firearms into the state?

I hope that they still have my prints on file, after all these years..I got a permit (or a permit to aquire) a handgun over at the old HPD station on East King Street back in the 80's. They took my prints there, but then they moved the police station, as you know..

I'd like to personally thank you, for the detailed information that you have provided here! Thank you so much!

The Hunter Education class or firearms training requirement is only if you want to get a permit to acquire firearms here in Hawaii. If you already own them in another state and simply bringing them here when you move, then all you have to do is register them within 72 hours of arrival of both the owner of the firearms (you) and the firearms here in the state.

I'm not sure if the records go back that far. You may want to let the clerks know the situation when you register your firearms. I'd be prepared with the $30.25 fee in case they need to take your prints again. There were several major changes to the firearms laws back in the early 90s'.

Don't forget to register to vote, and vote for the "right" people. ;) Lots of "anti" law makers out there. Lot of their "anti" beliefs are based on a lack of knowledge or familiarity with firearms.

gf

I know Hawaii has a CCW permit law, but has anyone ever actually been issued a permit??

Since 1976 only a few have been issued. Unless you're a LEO, very well politically connected or have a lot of $$ and contribute to specific organizations and/or non-profit causes, don't expect to get one.

It's highly unlikely that an "average citizen" will be issued a CCW. I would recommend against even applying for one. Remember that Hawaii is a "May Issue" state. The police chief "MAY" deny your firearms permit application.

gf

I know Hawaii has a CCW permit law, but has anyone ever actually been issued a permit??

I do know that in the 90s a police department civilian worker was issued one. I also believe that one of the past few governors was issued one (Not sure which one). Even though most websites list Hawaii as a may issue state, in reality, it is a de facto no issue state.

I do know that in the 90s a police department civilian worker was issued one. I also believe that one of the past few governors was issued one (Not sure which one). Even though most websites list Hawaii as a may issue state, in reality, it is a de facto no issue state.

The civilian worker you're talking about is the Honolulu Police Department's Armorer. He is not a sworn officer, but due to the transportation of the departments firearms (some being automatics), the police chief deemed it necessary that he be issued a permit to carry. Not sure if he carries, though.

gf

GF, you mentioned tourists lobbying to get the laws changed. Do you have any recommendations on who to write or e-mail to? I'll also be sure to include my past flight itinerary for the past several years. I go to FL, MO, TX and UT often; all right to carry States.

We were working the tourist angle, but the tourism chief was recently canned for sending and receiving sexist and racist emails on his goverment computer, so the plan is being put on the back burner for now. I've actually come up with another plan that would be a lot simpler and probably work a lot better. I'll be making some phone calls on Monday to see if it's plausable.

If you still want to pursue the tourism angle, I'd wait a few months until the tourism board can find a new chief and they have some time to get their act togethher.

gf

Well that tells me why DOG only carry's OC spray lol. On top of that is he not a Felon? For a drug deal killing with his brother? Does he even still do bounty hunting or no because they canned his show. I hear all he did was go after old crack heads who could not fight back this true?

Ok

You're more in tune with the politics there, GF.

We now have a statutory recognition in NV with two popular non-resident CCWs; FL and UT. Our Clark County handgun registration code was changed by a stronger State preemption law last legislative session to be much more visitor friendly.

Question -

I am military, and I purchased a handgun in VA prior to being moved to Hawaii. The weapon was all packed into my household goods, and immediately upon arrival here I had forgotten to take it to HPD and get it registered. Since it was packed up and I had a lot of other things going on, "out of sight out of mind" occured.

Since I am outside of the required 72 hour window for registration, what happens? Fine? Nothing? Throw my ass in jail?

If anyone knows, I'd be very appreciative to know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Question -

I am military, and I purchased a handgun in VA prior to being moved to Hawaii. The weapon was all packed into my household goods, and immediately upon arrival here I had forgotten to take it to HPD and get it registered. Since it was packed up and I had a lot of other things going on, "out of sight out of mind" occured.

Since I am outside of the required 72 hour window for registration, what happens? Fine? Nothing? Throw my ass in jail?

If anyone knows, I'd be very appreciative to know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

You should immediately arrange for someone to bail you out. The bail will probably be $100 or $250 depending on how they charge you. You can bail yourself out, but you need to let the desk sergeant know at the time of booking. You will be arrested and held under HRS 702-35. :nono: This offense is punishable by up to 15 years in jail.:eek: I've seen past cases where the minimum sentence is 5 years in jail, 3 years probation, and 1,000 hours of community service.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Now that i've got you all worked up, I'll give you some good news. It would be best to register the firearms as soon as possible. Be sure that the firearm is unloaded and cased properly for transport. Leave any accessories at home. HPD doesn't need to see anything other than the firearm. PRHI limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Posession of a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is a misdemenor. Inserting such magazine (loaded or not) is a fealony, hence take only the firearm. If they ask about your magazines, being in the military I'm sure you'll be able to come up with an appropriate answer.

Be sure to have your photo ID and $30.25 for the FBI fingerprint check. Having exact change will make the process a lot easier. Be prepared to spend about an hour on your first visit. The parking meters take only quarters, so have at least 6 of them to feed the meter.

PM me if you have any questions. Whatever you do, don't admit to any criminal activity! :eek:

gf

You should immediately arrange for someone to bail you out. The bail will probably be $100 or $250 depending on how they charge you. You can bail yourself out, but you need to let the desk sergeant know at the time of booking. You will be arrested and held under HRS 702-35. :nono: This offense is punishable by up to 15 years in jail.:eek: I've seen past cases where the minimum sentence is 5 years in jail, 3 years probation, and 1,000 hours of community service.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Now that i've got you all worked up, I'll give you some good news. It would be best to register the firearms as soon as possible. Be sure that the firearm is unloaded and cased properly for transport. Leave any accessories at home. HPD doesn't need to see anything other than the firearm. PRHI limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Posession of a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is a misdemenor. Inserting such magazine (loaded or not) is a fealony, hence take only the firearm. If they ask about your magazines, being in the military I'm sure you'll be able to come up with an appropriate answer.

Be sure to have your photo ID and $30.25 for the FBI fingerprint check. Having exact change will make the process a lot easier. Be prepared to spend about an hour on your first visit. The parking meters take only quarters, so have at least 6 of them to feed the meter.

PM me if you have any questions. Whatever you do, don't admit to any criminal activity! :eek:

gf
Thanks a ton for the response!

I'll go down monday and register it, and begin serving my jail sentence. :bad:

Thanks a ton for the response!

I'll go down monday and register it, and begin serving my jail sentence. :bad:

Once you get the Hawaii registration, you'll have to register the firearm with the provost marshall if you live on post or want to do some shooting on base.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back