Questions about carrying in Nevada and California

Mountaingoat61

I live in North Idaho and have a Utah non-resident ccw. I know I'm ok going thru Montana and Utah but will be going to Vegas then on to LA (I'm gonna Disneyland!!). Here's what I understand the laws to be so if anyone knows for a fact to the contrary, please inform. NV: conceal is ok in the car but not on person. Visible in the car is also ok although I personally wouldn't. CA: Unload the gun, melt it down (just kidding, kinda) lock it in a box, keep separate from the ammo. (Ironic that LA would be the place I'm most concerned about actually needing it and can't have access to it.) Anything else? Thanks in advance. :)

Details aren't totally correct, but you won't have any problems following what you posted.

FYI -- you don't have to store the ammo and gun separately. You can put the unloaded handgun and magazines or loose ammo in a case and lock it. You can put the key in your pocket or have it hanging from your keyring.
CHP site:
Link Removed
I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

Ummmmm, I would really recommend that you find somewhere to stash your gun in Nevada before you go to California. The federal transportation law only applies if you're "passing through." It even states that it only applies if you're driving through and only stop to eat, gas up, and sleep. Going to Disneyland doesn't fall under this.

Plus there are many handguns that are outright banned in California, and magazines over 10 rounds are also illegal. California is an absolute nightmare for a gun owner and Paradise City for the Brady Campaign.

Nevada isn't as backwards in its firearms laws, though.

Why do you post unhelpful FUD? The OP wanted to deal with a worrysome situation in a legal manner. Your post serves no purpose except to demonstrate your smug sense of superiority. Do you have anything helpful to post that's on-topic?
Ummmmm, I would really recommend that you find somewhere to stash your gun in Nevada before you go to California. The federal transportation law only applies if you're "passing through." It even states that it only applies if you're driving through and only stop to eat, gas up, and sleep. Going to Disneyland doesn't fall under this.
Did you even bother to read the quote from the California Highway Patrol?
Plus there are many handguns that are outright banned in California, and magazines over 10 rounds are also illegal. California is an absolute nightmare for a gun owner and Paradise City for the Brady Campaign.
No handguns are 'outright banned' -- there are features that are banned, such as handguns with threaded barrels and some other problems. Importing magazines of greater than 10 round capacity is a crime but the OP didn't ask about that. There are also more gun owners in California than the entire population of most other individual states.
No it isn't, but we've got problems to deal with here too.

I lived for over 4 decades in California and transported guns all the time there. It's legal and no one will hassle the OP if he stores it as he says, NDS is totally correct.

To the OP, I spent most of my time in Los Angeles and neighboring communities, I never needed a firearm in all that time. While anything can happen anywhere, I would not worry about not carrying, just enjoy your visit and return safe to Idaho.

Mountaingoat61

I am from Midwestern Idaho on the Oregon border. This site has helped me in my travels for a long time.

Link Removed

Hopefully it will help you answer some of your questions. If all else fails, and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, I'll call the local police/sheriff's office in that area to ask the question.

Go to:
http:/www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_concealed.html
The answer to your question is YES in Las Vgeas, NV
NO in CA
hope this helps

I live in California and have been taught for years that the ammo must be stored in a separate container from the gun. I saw the link above stating it can be in the same locked container but not loaded in the gun itself. That is interesting news to me, but I will still carry the gun and the ammo separate. Old habits die hard.

As far as the magazine capacity issue, don't bring anything into the state with more than a 10 round capacity. I have been informed that is a felony in CA.

Large Capacity Magazines

With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into the state,
keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity magazine. Cal. Penal
Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the
capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding
device, any feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten
rounds, or any tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California
does not ban the possession of large capacity magazines.

Link Removed

Other than those two issues, you are allowed to transport legal weapons in CA. Here is link to the firearms laws of CA and you can look at the specific section on transport of weapons in CA.

Link Removed

If you can get to a class for CCW in Nevada, the application process is actually quite simple and quick once you have the qualifying class that must be attending in the county you are applying. I am only about 3.5 hours from Vegas so I got my Nevada CCW a couple of months ago. You need to be very aware that local towns and cities in Nevada have specific laws such as Mesquite that denies CCW without specific permission from the city even if you already have a Nevada CCW. Boulder City Nevada also has very different regulations that you would need to be aware of as well but in general OC in Nevada in the car is not an issue. As with all issues, check the state for any updates of the laws that do change more frequently than is always easy to keep up with.

As far as the magazine capacity issue, don't bring anything into the state with more than a 10 round capacity. I have been informed that is a felony in CA.

Actually, unless there is more to it than what you quoted under the above statement, it looks like it would be okay to have a magazine with a 10+ capacity. You just can't import it, sell it, lend it, etc.... Carrying it with no intention of parting with it doesn't appear to be a crime.

I may be wrong on this. I also believed, before reading this post, that the firearm and ammo had to be stored separately.

Actually, unless there is more to it than what you quoted under the above statement, it looks like it would be okay to have a magazine with a 10+ capacity. You just can't import it, sell it, lend it, etc.... Carrying it with no intention of parting with it doesn't appear to be a crime.

I may be wrong on this. I also believed, before reading this post, that the firearm and ammo had to be stored separately.
Alaska444 is justifiably cautious. And, just as many cops don't know the law regarding transport and continue the lie that ammo must be separate from the firearm (I guess LEO don't communicate with each other and the CHP website is unread by other agencies) there are problems with magazines too.

The word 'import' is interpreted by some cops as 'stay in California' and they will tell you this if you ask. Unfortunately, others see bringing any magazine over 10 rounds capacity to CA, even for a second or two, as importing. People have been arrested for passing through California with hi capacity magazines -- it seems that the Federal protection for transporting firearms doesn't specifically mention high capacity magazines. There's also the problem with stopping over night, where the Federal protedction may not apply. The most recent case I've read of was in the Sacramento area where a resident of another state had a high capacity magazine in his hotel room. This one was within the last couple of months and I don't know the status of this case.

No case on this has made it to a court decision -- it would appear the practice of piling on charges and bargaining them away to get a guilty plea works well for CA district attorneys. Another dishonest practice most 'lawnorder' types applaud.

I don't want to be a test case -- I always leave magazines of greater than 10 round capacity behind when going to California.

You are all free to make your own choices.

Thanks for the clarification NDS, I think I'll stick with low capacity mags if I'm forced to visit Kalifornia.

I live in California...You need to be very aware that local towns and cities in Nevada have specific laws such as Mesquite that denies CCW without specific permission from the city even if you already have a Nevada CCW. Boulder City Nevada also has very different regulations that you would need to be aware of as well but in general OC in Nevada in the car is not an issue. As with all issues, check the state for any updates of the laws that do change more frequently than is always easy to keep up with.

Respectfully, I would suggest that the OP (and yourself) need to be very aware of the Nevada state preemption statute which makes it illegal for cities and towns to enact regulations which you suggest are in force:

NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)

Respectfully, I would suggest that the OP (and yourself) need to be very aware of the Nevada state preemption statute which makes it illegal for cities and towns to enact regulations which you suggest are in force:

Thanks for the update. I just got my Nevada CCW a couple of months ago and went through the CCW class in Clark County. Bob Irwin's book noted some of these different regulations in the various cities, but perhaps as you suggest they are now preempted which is good and will make matters more simple and that is old information still in his book.

The instructor of our class who is Las Vegas LEO noted that you are not allowed to carry while gambling in Boulder City but the guns do not have to be registered while in Las Vegas they do have to be registered with the blue cards. Nevada does not require gun registration but Clark County does. Also in North Las Vegas, you have to have a specific reason to have a gun in your car while the rest of Las Vegas you don't. The ammo must be separate from the gun in North Las Vegas according to the notes from my CCW class fore those that do not have a Nevada CCW.

I took the class in May of this year and the instructor specifically stressed several of these points. Not sure how preemption applies to those aspects. The instructor pointed out the different state, county and local laws. Not always easy to find information on line, but that is from a CCW class 2 months ago from an active LEO.

I live in North Idaho and have a Utah non-resident ccw. I know I'm ok going thru Montana and Utah but will be going to Vegas then on to LA (I'm gonna Disneyland!!). Here's what I understand the laws to be so if anyone knows for a fact to the contrary, please inform. NV: conceal is ok in the car but not on person. Visible in the car is also ok although I personally wouldn't. CA: Unload the gun, melt it down (just kidding, kinda) lock it in a box, keep separate from the ammo. (Ironic that LA would be the place I'm most concerned about actually needing it and can't have access to it.) Anything else? Thanks in advance. :)

If your in LA and find yourself in a situation that you need it you are in the wrong area. Most of LA is great and overall a nice place to live if you like cultural diversity in your food and the people surrounding you. Just like any other reason to carry it's because of the unknown to protect yourself. I lived in LA for 8 years and can't think of one time I wished I was carrying. I carry for insurance and hope to never need it.

Jason

If your in LA and find yourself in a situation that you need it you are in the wrong area. Most of LA is great and overall a nice place to live if you like cultural diversity in your food and the people surrounding you. Just like any other reason to carry it's because of the unknown to protect yourself. I lived in LA for 8 years and can't think of one time I wished I was carrying. I carry for insurance and hope to never need it.

Jason
Regarding transport in Kalifornia, just keep your shooting irons, and ammo separate, and locked down in the trunk. You will have no problems. The cops usually don't hassle tourists with money.

LA is a great place to visit. Providing you stay in the right area's. You're safe anywhere North or South of the 10 freeway anywhere to the West of the 405 freeway. Be prepared for traffic jams. If your respiratory system is impaired, you will be miserable.

Check out the bars on the windows. It is a shame people have to live like that.
YouTube - La cucaracha

I'm a little confused on the 10+ capicity magazine. I bought a Taures 24/7 from an Army buddy here in CA. He bought it in Washington State. I'm new to CCW and handguns (old school infantry guy-M16's and larger). I was nerveous when I read the gun list on the DOJ and the laws. I called DOJ and told them I had the gun and wanted to whatever to get this right, to include taking the gun out of Cali. The women accknowledged that this gun was not authorized for sale in CA but thru a private transaction I was OK. We dicussed this at length to include the 2 15 rd Mags that came with it. She was very helpful and even laughed at how scared I was at the thought of breaking the law. She told me that I was GTG and to go get it registered, which I did. I took this to also mean that I could use the Magazines as well. BTW, to be on the safe side I bought 4 10rd mags for use. CCW pending and I would rather not take the chance.

Thanks for the update. I just got my Nevada CCW a couple of months ago and went through the CCW class in Clark County. Bob Irwin's book noted some of these different regulations in the various cities, but perhaps as you suggest they are now preempted which is good and will make matters more simple and that is old information still in his book.

The instructor of our class who is Las Vegas LEO noted that you are not allowed to carry while gambling in Boulder City but the guns do not have to be registered while in Las Vegas they do have to be registered with the blue cards. Nevada does not require gun registration but Clark County does. Also in North Las Vegas, you have to have a specific reason to have a gun in your car while the rest of Las Vegas you don't. The ammo must be separate from the gun in North Las Vegas according to the notes from my CCW class fore those that do not have a Nevada CCW.

I took the class in May of this year and the instructor specifically stressed several of these points. Not sure how preemption applies to those aspects. The instructor pointed out the different state, county and local laws. Not always easy to find information on line, but that is from a CCW class 2 months ago from an active LEO.

Most of that information is complete B.S. If it is not against Nevada state law to carry a firearm/ammo in a certain location and during certain activities then it CANNOT be against local law. Period. Regardless of what local LEO and local CCW instructors think. In North Las Vegas, the only reason you need to have a loaded handgun carried in plain sight in a vehicle is the desire to do so. There is no legal requirement to have the ammo separated from the gun, either.

There also is no state law making it illegal to possess a gun while gambling. Casinio's may post their own signs prohibiting firearms - but that would be trespassing if you don't leave when asked to because of your gun.

It really bothers me when people push false anti-gun information... not ragging on the poster, but these LEO's and CCW instructors! The question, "Do you happen to have a reference for that?" is great to determine if they are speaking from true knowledge backed by statutes or just blowing smoke.

I'm a little confused on the 10+ capicity magazine. I bought a Taures 24/7 from an Army buddy here in CA. He bought it in Washington State. I'm new to CCW and handguns (old school infantry guy-M16's and larger). I was nerveous when I read the gun list on the DOJ and the laws. I called DOJ and told them I had the gun and wanted to whatever to get this right, to include taking the gun out of Cali. The women accknowledged that this gun was not authorized for sale in CA but thru a private transaction I was OK. We dicussed this at length to include the 2 15 rd Mags that came with it. She was very helpful and even laughed at how scared I was at the thought of breaking the law. She told me that I was GTG and to go get it registered, which I did. I took this to also mean that I could use the Magazines as well. BTW, to be on the safe side I bought 4 10rd mags for use. CCW pending and I would rather not take the chance.
You've raised several important misunderstandings about California law. And it's no surprise people have problems with it, CA law is stupidly contradictory.

Off-roster handguns are not illegal to own. There are several exemptions written into the law. If you have an off-roster handgun it can only be sold in a PPT -person to person transfer. You cannot sell an off-roster handgun to an FFL and then the FFL resell it to a non-exempt person. Stupid, stupid law.

The 10 round magazine law is a big deal. I've seen several posts where police told people not to sweat the law if they weren't going to stay in CA. I've also read several news stories about people arrested for possession of >10 capacity magazines. What is okay is to have the >10 mags disassembled; CA law sees parts as parts (except for receivers--don't keep listed receivers in CA). You were smart to buy 10 round mags. There's a lot more to CA law than can be covered in one post but I suggest you check here:
California Gun Laws
You might want to join here and read:
Calguns.net

California law is a mess, you need to know the law but of course the police don't need to know the law -- for them 'ignorance of the law' is an excuse.

Most of that information is complete B.S. If it is not against Nevada state law to carry a firearm/ammo in a certain location and during certain activities then it CANNOT be against local law. Period. Regardless of what local LEO and local CCW instructors think. In North Las Vegas, the only reason you need to have a loaded handgun carried in plain sight in a vehicle is the desire to do so. There is no legal requirement to have the ammo separated from the gun, either.

There also is no state law making it illegal to possess a gun while gambling. Casinio's may post their own signs prohibiting firearms - but that would be trespassing if you don't leave when asked to because of your gun.

It really bothers me when people push false anti-gun information... not ragging on the poster, but these LEO's and CCW instructors! The question, "Do you happen to have a reference for that?" is great to determine if they are speaking from true knowledge backed by statutes or just blowing smoke.
The FUD in the post you quoted has been addressed before. Links have been provided wherein the parties involved have stated they will follow the law. People evidently choose not to believe the facts; I don't know why. Also, it's amazing how often these people post when a little time with the 'search' button would provide accurate info.

It's good to see another poster who values accurate information.

Thank you for your opinion. I will leave it to other folks to sort out the local vs state issues, but I did do a quick search on N Las Vegas gun laws to see if the LEO/Instructor was giving us good advice on their peculiar laws. I found this link which actually confirms what he taught us:

9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other
type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not bedeemed to prohibit the
carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faithfor uses of honest work, trade or business,
or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 § 1, 1978: prior code § 7.22.070)

http://blackwolfccw.com/yahoo_site_...TH_LAS_VEGAS_FIREARMS_LAWS_2008.326201159.pdf

That's pretty much what the instructor advised us. So if you wish to test the preemption vs local laws in N Las Vegas, that is fine, go for it. Not that I ever have any need or desire to go to North Las Vegas myself, but I believe I will listen to the seasoned LEO. The information in the Bob Irwin book about Mesquite may in fact be out of date, but that is the problem with books. They remain static while things change around them. That is not FUD as wrongly alleged by my esteemed colleague who replied to your post. Rational minds understand that there is a hodgepodge of local, state, county and national gun laws across this nation that are not easy to find updates that are accurate. In the mean time, there are simple precautions that appear to apply universally to all states that any reasonable CCW holder can utilize when the local, state, county and national laws are in question.

If I do find that the information that I received at my Nevada CCW class is in gross error, I will make a complaint to the location that sponsored this course. Thank you for your input, but I will likewise confirm your information in the same manner.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back