Question regarding placement of handgun in car

tschangx7

With a CC permit, when driving in a vehicle, is it legal to keep the gun in the holster, on your belt, concealed with a shirt or jacket?

I've done this for many years now but after doing some reading I'm not so sure.

T

I would say yes. Your car/truck is an extension of your home, and I believe you can do whatever you want inside of it. That being said, if you are legal to carry than I see no reason why you couldn't carry in your truck. I am no lawyer, that is just how I understand the law.

Concealed is concealed. If you are legal (and not in a Pro-Crime Zone) then you should be ok.

Transporting a Loaded Firearm is null and void if you are carrying with a CCL and it is concealed.

At least that is the way that it is in Oklahoma. You might want to check with an attorney in your area.

I always have mine holstered while in my car. Here in Nevada since it is a OC state you can carry it anywhere in your vehicle loaded but you must have a CCW to have it on your person. Where do you live? Also, Welcome to the site.

When driving I keep my pistol in a cheap holter between the driver's bucket and the rest of the bench, below my right knee. Easier to get to than a belt-holstered. When I start carrying the M&P40c I get today, I'll leave the Stoeger in the truck or house as a backup.

I always have mine holstered while in my car. Here in Nevada since it is a OC state you can carry it anywhere in your vehicle loaded but you must have a CCW to have it on your person. Where do you live? Also, Welcome to the site.

You are correct, though here is just a bit more clarification of Nevada's open and CCW carry. Yes, we can have a loaded firearm in our cars, yet, without a valid CCW permit that firearm cannot be on our person, neither concealed nor open, while we are in the car. It can be concealed within the confines of the vehicle as in the glove box or "booze box" or under the seat or anywhere else, or it can be in the open as in resting on the seat next to you. But, for it to be on your person and legally concealed we much have the valid CCW on our person or in our possession while we carry concealed.

State laws vary. Some states do not allow even CCWs to transport a loaded weapon; rather you must unload while in your car.

Asinine, I know, but that's the way it is.

I am unaware of the laws in VA, tschangx7, however your state codes should be available online.

In CO, a person may have a loaded handgun in their car, just as they can in their home or place of business they own. Within a means of transportation, a deadly weapon that is not immediately visible to casual observers. No restriction holstered/concealed or not while in a vehicle traveling from one city to another, with or without a permit.

Part of the staute reads...
"...carrying of weapons in private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction..."

Rifles and shotguns have different restrictions in vehicles, and must be unloaded.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back