Question regarding my LC9

hogwylde

I have an LC9 and love it especially when it comes to its concealability but have read how you don't want to use it as a "range gun". And my question is why not? Is it not designed to be fired as often as other guns? Do parts wear out over a prolonged period of shooting it?

I'm of the belief that you should practice frequently with your conceal carry, which means spending some quality time at the range. As far as the LC9 not being a range gun, I believe it has more to do with the fact that its not the most comfy in the size and recoil department and spending all day at the range running ammo through it will create havoc on the hands and wrists.

I totally agree, i have an lcp that i love to carry and shoot just enough to stay good with it. However at the range it is not the most disirable feel, so i shoot other guns for fun and practice that are better on the hands.

What everyone else here said. It's not about wear, it's about guns this weight having a lot of recoil. If it doesn't bother you to put a couple hundred rounds through it, plink away.

Link RemovedThe recoil on my LC9 isn't bad at all considering the size.The trigger takes some getting used to.It's not that heavy or gritty,but it's loong.Once I shoot a few mags through it, I can put up better groups with it than I can with my G26,just not as consistantly.
I recently removed the mag safety on it and it moderatly improves the trigger.250 rounds since without issue.
What makes it not a range gun is it doesn't have a good trigger,long barrel or a low caliber/weight of gun ratio.
I really like my LC9.I've fired 875 assorted,flawless through mine,which makes it valuable to me.I didn't have the best of luck when looking for a dependable "pocket nine",until I got an LC9.It definitly fills a niche.

I have an LC9 and a LCP and both can be hard on the hands, I added a rubber grip on my LC9 and that seemed to help a lot, but I'm sure that's what they mean as not a range gun, you wouldn't want to shoot it all day (at least I wouldn't) but I do carry it so I need to know how to shoot it and how it shoots, so I only put 50 to 100 rounds through it when I'm at the range. Hope this helps, it's a Great Gun

So, here are my 2 cents.

I called Ruger...and asked the question, so the LC9 does not have a set number of round before a failure, so just like any gun the more you use it the more wear you are going to have on the parts... there is nothing that indicated that it is a low quality gun or the parts are low quality.

I have one and I have fired a little over 1300+ rounds...still works the same as day one... on the recoil department it is not as bad as a Kel-tec PF9 (I also have one).

as Ruger told me, it the LC9 breaks because of wear we will need to look at it and if it is due worksmanship or materials Ruger will repair or replace it.

so I would not worry about it and ...like the Ruger representative indicated to me...Shoot the $%^! out of it if it breaks we can fix it for you.

also if you are in Georgetown Tx...next CHL class will be next week..! sign up if you like people. :)

damn, that is a sexy pistol

I agree which is why I had to have one too!

2012-01-25211549.jpg

DSCN5016.jpg

I'm glad to learn that I just misunderstood what I read. I have no problem with the recoil although I am still getting used to the long trigger pull but I do not find it uncomfortable to shoot ~200 rounds per visit to the range..

GallowPrecision has has a stiffer recoil spring which is supposed to help recoil. They also sell parts to shorten the trigger pull. No first hand experience, but other people that have tried it seem to love it.

My wife and I have had several of the small pocket pistols, 380s and the small 9mms, and once we are satisfided that a perticular gun is going to be reliable we will carry it, and from time to time run a couple of mags at the range, or if we have a freind with us they may want to shoot it, but no way is it going to be used for doing targets, or any extended range use, but shooting those compared to the larger sub compact or compact size is not going to get it, yes some people can group well, but the little guns are just too uncomfortable to shoot a lot, and that 14 mile long trigger is just unacceptable, maybe good for safety but I'm not so sure, if you shoot only that one little pistol, fine you get used to it, but if its used as a bug, or just a extra gun that long trigger may get you in trouble, we have tryed a bunch of them, the LC9, LCP, DB9, and the DB-380, Bodyguard-380, and the Taurus 709 and TCP-380, out of the bunch all we ended up keeping are the two Taurus 738s, the 709 is a good 9mm, and we did keep them for quite a while, but we traded them for a XD-9 and Glock 19, we had a G-26 and G-27, never could get used to the short grip, and did not like the extended mags, XD-9 just seemed to have a better feel, another thing that bothers me about the small light stuff is the questionable reliability, at least till its broken in, after what? 200-300 rds dont forget to add that to the cost if your going to carry it, I see a lot of people buy there LC9, LCP, TCP, or whatever, buy the gun take it out back run a couple of mags, then carry it or put it in there night stand, and trust there life to it,? that is absolutly nuts, it may jam when you need it the most, I know some will come back with I have run 400-500+ rds or more with there LCP or whatever and had no trouble at all, I find this questionable, but IF they really did good for them, our testing and what I have reserached have said otherwise

Any gun regardless of make or model should have at least a couple hundred rounds run though it before relying on it for self defense. As for questioning people who say they've had no problems with their LCP...go onto the Ruger websites, you'll find way more people that have had no trouble at all, which is amazing considering people that have problems tend to be more vocal about it, than people who don't. More of the other brand small ones seem to have problems, but I think that's related to the companies that are making them and less so about size. My LC9 has had no failures in over 600 rounds, and I've even limp-wristed it a couple times just to see how it performed in those scenarios. I didn't have to shoot it to "break it in," I shot it to get experience and to make sure my specific gun was problem free. Same as I would do for any one that I purchase. From my experience with the LC9, I'm not surprised that the LCP would be just as reliable. I'm not stuck on any particular makes (own several), but from my experience Ruger is one of the better brands in their price category.

What I do really wonder about people that are like "yeah the <insert cheap gun here> works great, if you have a problem with <insert FTF or FTE here> you're probably limp wristing." As much as grip is important, it's possible in the heat of the moment under stress and adrenaline, or with insufficient time to setup, or having to reach from an awkward position, you might not be able to get a stiff enough grip as you're trying to send one down the pipe. This would be the worst possible time for a failure to occur. For that reason, if I have to have a death grip on the gun to ensure it goes bang, it's not very reliable IMO.

I have the LC9 and the LCP. I didn't find either one uncomfortable to use.
I was expecting a harsh recoil the first time at the range, it wasn't there.
To me they are comfortable to shoot.

Wife got herself one a month or so ago. I took it to the range a few weeks back to break it in.

Loooooooong trigger pull indeed. More like "Anticipa.................................tion".

You expect the damn thing to go off at "any time now", and it still takes more pull. MOST unnerving.

Once you get used to it.... I guess one can live with it. But, if one has a number of different weapons with roughly the same distance of trigger pull to them.... this "oddball" gets some getting used to.

GG

The more you shoot it....the better a range gun it becomes. Amazing huh? Everything wears out with time and use.....even I show some wear...har..har. It's a great carry pistol!

I'm glad you all like your Ruger's, I did not intend to offend, we do not care for any pistol big or small with a trigger like the LCPs and LC9s.... they do have more felt recoil than I find acceptable for range gun, thats not saying you cannot take them to the range and shoot till your hand is numb, also I think haveing to run 200-300 rds before the gun is deemed good is BS, our XDs and Glocks, 8 guns in all have never had any operational hiccup of any kind, from the first rd, also after a proper cleaning the 1911s, ran perfect, however with the small guns like we were talking about, most people never shoot them enough to properly break them in

I'm glad you all like your Ruger's, I did not intend to offend, we do not care for any pistol big or small with a trigger like the LCPs and LC9s.... they do have more felt recoil than I find acceptable for range gun, thats not saying you cannot take them to the range and shoot till your hand is numb, also I think haveing to run 200-300 rds before the gun is deemed good is BS, our XDs and Glocks, 8 guns in all have never had any operational hiccup of any kind, from the first rd, also after a proper cleaning the 1911s, ran perfect, however with the small guns like we were talking about, most people never shoot them enough to properly break them in

If you're referring to my post, I wasn't offended, I just wanted to express the reality. I don't walk around wearing Ruger T-shirts, expressing my undying love for them, or saying it's the only brand I'll ever own.

As for running 200-300 rounds though a gun, I partially agree with that. You should not have to run them 200-300 rounds to get them to work properly (as in a break-in period). However, I would not expect to rely on it until I have. This gets you used to how it operates, and ensure out of the hundreds of thousands they built you don't get the one with a problem. I own several that cover many makes (including a XDm) without issues. I expect all of them to work flawless straight out of the box, not requiring running them in. But for self-defense, unless it's the only one available, I'm putting some range time on it before it becomes a primary. It's my life on the line.

I have an LC9 and love it especially when it comes to its concealability but have read how you don't want to use it as a "range gun". And my question is why not? Is it not designed to be fired as often as other guns? Do parts wear out over a prolonged period of shooting it?

Granted the LC9 isn't as ridiculously small as the LCP, but typically those little guns do have a lifespan. You'll obviously want to practice with it now and again, but I wouldn't make it your primary range gun either.

As you've heard here, I wouldn't refrain from shooting it at all. I try to put about 200 rounds a month through it, since it's my EDC.

That said, when I first got the gun I fired it a lot in a very short time, trying to see how reliable it'd be. After about 60 rounds it gave me the wrist wobbles. I like the gun, but it kicks like a beast!

So by "range gun" I mean "gun I can shoot all day without wobbling like my wrist is held on by rubber bands". The LC9 is NOT a range gun!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back