question on winchester white box ammo

Legacy

I was in one of the local gun stores in hopes of finding both a Ruger LC9 and an SR9C for comparisons to see which is best for me. (they didn't have the LC9, darn it.) Anyway, I was talking to the salespeople there and we were discussing the guns, their differences and intended use etc.

I was asked what I usually use for practicing. I told them I usually use Winchester White box FMJ and something all together different for self defense rounds. They said "Oh, don't use WWB, they have a nasty habit of blowing up firearms." I had never heard of this but they pulled out pictures of a Glock that was just destroyed. Told me the owner lost part of his hand and that it was found to be Winchester White box at fault...again..?? :fie:

So am I changing my target rounds or is the shop just trying to get me to buy their ammo? The shop was ok with my choice of self defense rounds. Anyone else heard of problems with WWB?

Thanks
Legacy

I use them in 95% of my firearms, my FNP 45 magazines are tight the WWB 45 Auto run a Tad bit longer than any other FMJ so I can't use for my FNP 45 other than that smooth sailing!!!

Let's talk physics.

In order for a gun to be "blown up" - you pretty much MUST have a barrel obstruction of some kind.

Most common cause of this would be either dirt or other foreign matter obstructing the barrel (more common in rifles)...or a "squib" round going off...leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel, obstructing it.

NOTE: THIS IS WHERE YOUR TRAINING AND KNOWLEDGE COME IN. IF YOU HEAR A SOFT POP INSTEAD OF A LOUD BANG...OR IF YOUR SHOT SOUND SEEMS IN ANY WAY UNUSUAL...THEN CLEAR THE FIREARM AND VISUALLY VERIFY THAT THE BARREL IS NOT OBSTRUCTED.

I've not known WWB ammo to have more squibs than any other brand.

Funny how a few of the samll gun shops in my area have said to stay away from the ammo over at Wal-mart. Yet it is the same box they have on the shelf behind them albeit a few dollars more. I have thousands of rounds of Winchester/Federal through all my weapons with never a problem. Needed new brass for reloading

I have had no problems, or seen anything on the Internet. Where do these things come from, most likely because Walmart sells them.

the only problem WWBs have given me...

... is a dirty muzzle, but it washes off. I just don't like cleaning my guns.

This is true to a point. There has been a lot of talk the past few months that there have been some bad lots of 9 mm and 45 acp in the white box. Problem is the powder charge, there have been a few squib loads. The guns are blowing the barrels in that people did not realize they just had a squib load and then fired another round with one stuck in the barrel. Again I have only seen this being reported in the 9mm and 45acp rounds.

Thanks! You all have confirmed what I was suspecting. That's ok...today I found a better deal on the SR9C at a different dealer! :biggrin: And guess what my range ammo will most likely be!

Thanks again!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back