Question for all,

J_Frame

I need to get your guys opinion on this, I always carry a pair of thumbcuffs, they are very tiny but so effective.
The reason I carry it, is for situations where I have friends with me and something happens, I could hold whoever at gun point while one of my friends could tie his thumbs together, during which me or someone else calls 911.

Is carrying thumbcuffs a good idea? It just seems that having more options in such a chaotic situation, like a potential self defense scenario would be a good idea.

Last edited:
My advice is to forego the cuffs.....

If you pull a firearm, it should be in fear of immediate assault. Once the threat has passed, the legal issue of detaining someone is best left to the police. Of course, there are myriad reasons and exceptions to this rule, but I think that you should leave the cuffs at home. Maybe you could pack a little ammo instead.

Worst case scenario is that you have to defend yourself with deadly force. When the responding officers respond, they will disarm you, search your person, and either arrest you or take you in for a statement (you already know not to say anything without your lawyer being present, right?). If and when the case goes to court, Mr. or Ms. District Attorney hold up your thumbcuffs (which you never even removed from your pocket) and tells the jury that you are obviously a cop wannabe out looking for trouble so that you could dispense some vigilante justice. Don't believe it?

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

If you pull your gun its to shoot it, in fear for your life or the life of another. not to play cop. A court might say because you where prepared to detain someone you where looking for trouble. Id keep them at home for your GF

Agreed with BoomBoy007 and rockwerk, you should only pull your firearm to defend yourself or someone else. You should not use your weapon to detain someone, you may be considered impersonating a police officer.

If your state supports Castle Doctrine, then I'd leave the thumbcuffs in the house or your place of business. It would be a pain to hold a weapon on the criminals while waiting for the police to arrive, not to mention waiting and explaining everything to 911.

Leave them at home

Agreed with BoomBoy007 and rockwerk, you should only pull your firearm to defend yourself or someone else. You should not use your weapon to detain someone, you may be considered impersonating a police officer.

If your state supports Castle Doctrine, then I'd leave the thumbcuffs in the house or your place of business. It would be a pain to hold a weapon on the criminals while waiting for the police to arrive, not to mention waiting and explaining everything to 911.

In a nutshell, I'd say forget the cuffs. They open you up to a whole new bunch of civil and criminal liabilities. Leave the arresting to the Police.

Last edited:
Depending on where you live, city ordinances usually forbid possession of handcuffs or handcuff keys. Better check it out if you continue to carry them.

If you pull your gun its to shoot it, in fear for your life or the life of another. not to play cop. A court might say because you where prepared to detain someone you where looking for trouble. Id keep them at home for your GF

Quoted for truth! You aren't a LEO, 'nuff said.

these are all very interesting responses, I would have originally said "go ahead, as long as it is legal to have them then who cares... the self defensive case should be judged on the facts"

However after reading these comments I would have to agree, leave them at home. Unless you have a hot date:yu:

One exception to all of these.....

these are all very interesting responses, I would have originally said "go ahead, as long as it is legal to have them then who cares... the self defensive case should be judged on the facts"

However after reading these comments I would have to agree, leave them at home. Unless you have a hot date:yu:

If your cuffs are fur-lined, then you are good to go.....:no:

:sarcastic:

As a general rule, I don't carry anything that can be pointed at and argued that I was trying to be a cop. Cuffs, badges of any kind etc. If my firearm comes out, there is either going to be a corpse, or the BG will have run away. I'm not about to chase after him to detain him, so I won't need the cuffs. If the BG is in my house, he's either a corpse, or I'll just secure him with a roll of good old duct tape. Redneck handcuffs-gotta love it...:biggrin:

Thumb cuffs.

I am not a LEO so I will not detain anyone. I will also never hold anyone at gun point. If (God forbid) I ever have to un - holster my weapon someone will be killed or wounded. I will only un-holster it in the face of loosing my own life or the lives of others are at stake..end of discussion.
You need to re-think you position here. You will only find yourself locked up and in big trouble if you think that this is OK.

Thanks for the help, I didn't think of it that way. Seems ridiculous but I know you guys are right, lol I mean If I wanted to be a cop, I'd become a cop. Some people in our justice system are blind by their own bias, and seldom listen to reason. So yea, I want all the facts in my favor, and not leave myself open to their spin of why I would carry thumb locks.

Thanks again.

P.S. I miss Packing.org but this is a very good replacement.

If you pull a firearm, it should be in fear of immediate assault. Once the threat has passed, the legal issue of detaining someone is best left to the police. Of course, there are myriad reasons and exceptions to this rule, but I think that you should leave the cuffs at home. Maybe you could pack a little ammo instead.

Worst case scenario is that you have to defend yourself with deadly force. When the responding officers respond, they will disarm you, search your person, and either arrest you or take you in for a statement (you already know not to say anything without your lawyer being present, right?). If and when the case goes to court, Mr. or Ms. District Attorney hold up your thumbcuffs (which you never even removed from your pocket) and tells the jury that you are obviously a cop wannabe out looking for trouble so that you could dispense some vigilante justice. Don't believe it?

Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com

I agree. It is unfortunate though.

It's already been stated and I do touch on this in my classes.

Unless you're a LEO or in a civilian professional where you may need them and on duty (i.e. bail enforcement or private security) I would reserve them for recreational purposes as previously stated in this thread.

You open yourself up for all sorts of civil and criminal liability issues if you use your CCW for detention purposes.

If the subject runs, be a good witness and contact 911.

There are also ways to detain someone without the use of restraint devices (i.e. stomach down, ankles crossed, palms up towards the ceiling or sky).

Ah, NOW I see your problem.....

Thanks for the help, I didn't think of it that way. Seems ridiculous but I know you guys are right, lol I mean If I wanted to be a cop, I'd become a cop. Some people in our justice system are blind by their own bias, and seldom listen to reason.

Your issue was that you were trying to apply logic or common sense. Those are so 1776! Sadly, it's a new age.
:help:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back