Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

And even if you did there is no guarantee that the BG won't shoot you anyway.

That's why you assume they are willing to kill you if they are willing to take your car or your money from you and that is why you need act accordingly.

BGs kill even if they don't take your car or your money. They can kill you for no reason at all, other than the fact that it was you who was there when they wanted to kill someone.

Don't be a Victim

"Don't be a Victim"

... Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim. ...

Don't be a Victim whole story.

---

GCF, Bundy was all that, but we took care of him the right way.

Judging from these posts, it is apparent that gabby isn't all that sure when to use deadly force. And you really need to be sure of yourself. Study the law, know your options, develop situational awareness, don't put yourself needlessly in a bad situation, and always remember that using deadly force should always be your last resort. When you draw that gun, you are intending on causing grevious bodily injury, and it may very well be to someone you don't want to shoot.

Carrying is an awesome responsibility. Hang around up here and in other similar forums, check out as much information as you can, practice, and know the law. There won't be someone there to give you advice when you decide.

Gabby, criminals are going to commit many violent crimes all at the same time to get what they want. If someone is stealing your car, whether or not he or she is holding you hostage, with or without a weapon, THEY CERTAINLY MIGHT KILL YOU AFTER THE FACT, EVEN DURING THE FACT. DO NOT ASSUME OTHERWISE! If you are ever in a situation where you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about the outcome of that situation, THEY MIGHT CERTAINLY KILL YOU AFTER THE FACT, OR WHILE IN THE PROCESS. If someone is trying to sexually assault you, YES, THEY MAY KILL YOU THEN AS WELL. Never think the best of the bag guys/gals. Think the worst and act accordingly. That's how you will stay alive!

(Capital letters are for adamant emphasis!)

Thank you! That's straight forward :happy:

Judging from these posts, it is apparent that gabby isn't all that sure when to use deadly force. And you really need to be sure of yourself. Study the law, know your options, develop situational awareness, don't put yourself needlessly in a bad situation, and always remember that using deadly force should always be your last resort. When you draw that gun, you are intending on causing grevious bodily injury, and it may very well be to someone you don't want to shoot.

Carrying is an awesome responsibility. Hang around up here and in other similar forums, check out as much information as you can, practice, and know the law. There won't be someone there to give you advice when you decide.

I would say that's a correct conclusion. I'm still struggling with the idea of causing someone harm, even if its a matter of me protecting myself. It's kind of a back and forth battle. Sometimes I feel like it's my right to defend myself to a degree, but other times I just don't understand where someone is coming from, I can't understand where someone is coming from when they intentionally cause someone harm if its not for a defense purpose. I'm undecided. Sometimes I'm adamant about defending myself, and other times I'm tired of dealing with the situation altogether. Many of you think I'm totally crazy for feeling confused about this issue! Which is fine :smile: but if anyone has any advice for how they finally made the decision that it was no one's right to hurt you, steal from you, etc, I'd love to hear about it :smile: As far as hanging out in these forums, knowing the law, and getting accurate information I completely agree :) I apologize, I'm not able to contribute as much as many of you because all of this is very new to me, I don't have much advice to offer, but I love hearing advice and I really appreciate everyone for sharing :smile:

I would say that's a correct conclusion. I'm still struggling with the idea of causing someone harm, even if its a matter of me protecting myself. It's kind of a back and forth battle. Sometimes I feel like it's my right to defend myself to a degree, but other times I just don't understand where someone is coming from, I can't understand where someone is coming from when they intentionally cause someone harm if its not for a defense purpose. I'm undecided. Sometimes I'm adamant about defending myself, and other times I'm tired of dealing with the situation altogether. Many of you think I'm totally crazy for feeling confused about this issue! Which is fine :smile: but if anyone has any advice for how they finally made the decision that it was no one's right to hurt you, steal from you, etc, I'd love to hear about it :smile: As far as hanging out in these forums, knowing the law, and getting accurate information I completely agree :) I apologize, I'm not able to contribute as much as many of you because all of this is very new to me, I don't have much advice to offer, but I love hearing advice and I really appreciate everyone for sharing :smile:

I understand that you are grappling with how you feel and what you want to do. That shows, to me at least, that you are not a BG, that you have a conscious. BGs don't. You care about people. We do too. We care that BGs don't hurt us or those we love.

There are two things that come to mind that you can do to help you understand criminals a bit more. First, do a few "ride-alongs" with your local peace agency. You can see first hand how criminals work. They have no qualms about hurting us.

Second, take a self defense class, maybe martial arts, a Police or Sheriff's Dep't. class, even military training. If by chance you decide not to carry then you can still learn the basics of defense.

Last edited:
I understand that you are grappling with how you feel and what you want to do. That shows, to me at least, that you are not a BG, that you have a conscious. BGs don't. You care about people. We do too. We care that BGs don't hurt us or those we love.

There are two things that come to mind that you can do to help you understand criminals a bit more. First, do a few "ride-alongs" with your local peace agency. You can see first hand how criminals work. They have no qualms about hurting us.

Second, take a self defense class, maybe martial arts, a Police or Sheriff's Dep't. class, even military training. If by chance you decide not to carry then you can still learn the basics of defense.

What does BG stand for ? :smile: I appreciate the compliment, well, I consider it a compliment to be told that you care about people :) And it's very clear to me that other people in this forum, very much including you and the other people that have responded to my questions, also care about people.

Both suggestions sound like excellent ideas, I will look into them :smile: I was considering taking a firearms training class at Target Master (the shooting range I have gone to a couple of times) to at least get a better understanding of guns, how they work, the laws behind them, etc. Would you recommend that over a self defense class or will they pretty much provide the same basis?

What does BG stand for ? :smile: I appreciate the compliment, well, I consider it a compliment to be told that you care about people :) And it's very clear to me that other people in this forum, very much including you and the other people that have responded to my questions, also care about people.

Both suggestions sound like excellent ideas, I will look into them :smile: I was considering taking a firearms training class at Target Master (the shooting range I have gone to a couple of times) to at least get a better understanding of guns, how they work, the laws behind them, etc. Would you recommend that over a self defense class or will they pretty much provide the same basis?

Sorry, BG = Bad Guy/Gal.
I don't know what kind/type of training Target Master does so I cannot recommend it one way or another. Maybe someone else on this forum knows what type of training they offer. I would recommend, though, that you take some type of training with the firearm, pistol or revolver, that you are considering carrying. You will need that to apply for your concealed carry permit if or when you eventually apply for it.

I would recommend a self defense class anyway. Not counting what I learned in the Army, the class I took is offered by the Sheriff's Department here in my rural county (Nye County, Nevada) to all women, free of charge, to help to lower the rape and capitol crimes incidences. As far as I know, it's working. This county has a Link Removed!

No, you are not intending on causing grievous bodily injury. You are intending to stop someone else from causing grievous bodily injury! That is an important difference. That is the mindset that you need have and that is the mindset that you should always communicate before as well as absolutely after any confrontation.

No, you are not intending on causing grievous bodily injury. You are intending to stop someone else from causing grievous bodily injury! That is an important difference. That is the mindset that you need have and that is the mindset that you should always communicate before as well as absolutely after any confrontation.

To add to what MJ says, NO * ONE * HAS * THE * RIGHT * TO * TOUCH * YOU * OR * HARM * YOU! NO ONE! You must be able to justify in your own mind keeping yourself safe. When you are at home or out and about, no one else will be there to do it for you!

To add to what MJ says, NO * ONE * HAS * THE * RIGHT * TO * TOUCH * YOU * OR * HARM * YOU! NO ONE! You must be able to justify in your own mind keeping yourself safe. When you are at home or out and about, no one else will be there to do it for you!

The standard for using deadly force is to stop grievous bodily harm or death. I wouldn't shoot someone because they inappropriately "touched" me and feel sure you are on the same page. I just want to make it clear.:to_pick_ones_nose3:

Sorry, BG = Bad Guy/Gal.
I don't know what kind/type of training Target Master does so I cannot recommend it one way or another. Maybe someone else on this forum knows what type of training they offer. I would recommend, though, that you take some type of training with the firearm, pistol or revolver, that you are considering carrying. You will need that to apply for your concealed carry permit if or when you eventually apply for it.

I would recommend a self defense class anyway. Not counting what I learned in the Army, the class I took is offered by the Sheriff's Department here in my rural county (Nye County, Nevada) to all women, free of charge, to help to lower the rape and capitol crimes incidences. As far as I know, it's working. This county has a Link Removed!

Ok :smile: My only concern with taking the class is that I'm not of legal age to carry in the state of PA anyway, so it may make sense to take a self defense class and then wait until I am 21 and would be able to apply for a permit. I didn't realize they offered classes for free, that's very interesting, I will look into it :)

The standard for using deadly force is to stop grievous bodily harm or death. I wouldn't shoot someone because they inappropriately "touched" me and feel sure you are on the same page. I just want to make it clear.:to_pick_ones_nose3:

This is very true, but I've found that in many situations "touching" turns to taking my clothes off when I've asked them not to so that's where I have an issue. It's a matter of determining at what point do I stand up for myself and make it clear that I've had enough, it's a tough boundary to determine I've found. But, agreed, someone "touching" doesn't justify shooting them. Thank you for emphasizing that :yes4:

Misunderstood. When that gun is discharged, the rounds are going to harm whoever they hit. True, you are trying to prevent the BG from causing harm, but you don't want to shoot someone else in the process. It's okay to blow away the BG, and stop the assault, but you have to assume the responsibility for pulling that gun out and discharging it. If you're not ready to assume that responsibility, then it might be a good idea not to carry.

Misunderstood. When that gun is discharged, the rounds are going to harm whoever they hit. True, you are trying to prevent the BG from causing harm, but you don't want to shoot someone else in the process. It's okay to blow away the BG, and stop the assault, but you have to assume the responsibility for pulling that gun out and discharging it. If you're not ready to assume that responsibility, then it might be a good idea not to carry.

This is also very true, and I appreciate the advice :yes4: Should anyone have any concerns, I legally cannot carry yet, and even if I could this is certainly not a decision that I would make irrationally. That's part of why I'm here, to get wonderful advice from people from understand best, like yourself :smile: I want as many suggestions and opinions and resources as possible before I even consider making such an influentual decision :happy:

Sorry, Jim, I should clarify. The term "touch me" means he touched me inappropriately, as in where he shouldn't have touched me, or rape if it gets to that. Generally, women understand the term, I didn't give it a second thought that men might not. Mea culpa.

Sorry, Jim, I should clarify. The term "touch me" means he touched me inappropriately, as in where he shouldn't have touched me, or rape if it gets to that. Generally, women understand the term, I didn't give it a second thought that men might not. Mea culpa.

Mmm, I see, I didn't at all consider that it could be taken differently..I apologize, I didn't make it very clear.

That's a tough one. Where do you draw the line? It's different with a guy. An inappropriate touch gets a fist or a shoe.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back