question about car carry

bellyfat

question; if i have a cc permit that is recognized in a state i am driving in,
does this cc permit supercede car carry laws?
i.e. some states require unloading guns in your car. others requir open carry in your car. some require keeping ammo and gun seprate in your car. is this for non cc permit holders or can i just carry it concealed as my permit states? and my state requires notification of police that i have a gun and permit.
do i have to notify another state of my gun and permit?

i.e. some states require unloading guns in your car. others requir open carry in your car. some require keeping ammo and gun seprate in your car. is this for non cc permit holders or can i just carry it concealed as my permit states? and my state requires notification of police that i have a gun and permit.

I don't know of any state that does not allow you to carry concealed on your person in a vehicle if you possess a recognized permit/license.

You fall under the state laws of the state you are in at the time, so the requirement to notify would depend upon whatever state you were in.

The LtCdr is correct. Vehicle carry laws pertain to individuals that do not have a legal permit to carry in that state. If you have a CCW permit, you can carry concealed on your person when in your vehicle, or leave it under the seat or in glove box loaded. Now open carry might not be allowed even if you have a carry permit.

One problem with a loaded gun under the seat or in glove box is when you get out of the vehicle and leave your passenger in the car, they may now in violation of the state laws.

You need to go to each states laws and verify what they say. That is one reason it would be nice to have a National Standard.

I travel into NC often and it is my understanding that they do not allow concealed carry in a car. I've been told that it has to be laid out in the open if it is accessible to the driver, or passengers if they are any. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I travel into NC often and it is my understanding that they do not allow concealed carry in a car. I've been told that it has to be laid out in the open if it is accessible to the driver, or passengers if they are any. Can anyone elaborate on this?

I live in NC and have a concealed carry permit. We can carry concealed in our vehicles IF we have a permit. Open carry rules are only for those without a permit. We do, however, have a "must notify" provision.

That's correct, CC is illegal while in a vehicle, only OC is legal in the car. That's the way I read the laws, even if I don't understand them. If NC law states that you must inform a LEO that you are carrying and have a permit, why would it be illegal to CC in the car? I guess all states have some strange laws.

I live in NC and have a concealed carry permit. We can carry concealed in our vehicles IF we have a permit. Open carry rules are only for those without a permit. We do, however, have a "must notify" provision.
Thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't understand what was meant.

im the origional poster. and im still confused. i dont want to carry on my person when im in my car. i want to carry in a glove box or center console.
but i travel alot and dont want to be in violation when crossing state lines. i have a n.c. cc permit. if i can carry cc on my person, why not cc in my glove box?
seems to me, cc is cc where ever the gun is. s.c. wants the gun concealed even if you dont have a cc license but not on your person. wheew.

PURELY a state, and in some cases, local matter.

If you have a CCW credential recognized by Ohio, you need to follow the rules laid down for car carry with an Ohio CHL.

If you don't have a CCW credential recognized by Ohio, your firearms must be unloaded (including magazines and speed loaders). Your best bet is to have them in the trunk of the car, or in the back of the vehicle if it has no trunk.

NEVER assume without research that your credential is good in any other state, or that carry rules in other states are the same (or even similar) to those in your own.

I don't know of any state that does not allow you to carry concealed on your person in a vehicle if you possess a recognized permit/license.
Until subsequently amended, the Ohio CCW law FORBADE concealed carry on the person in a vehicle. That's since been repealed, but it WAS the law.

The LtCdr is correct. Vehicle carry laws pertain to individuals that do not have a legal permit to carry in that state. If you have a CCW permit, you can carry concealed on your person when in your vehicle, or leave it under the seat or in glove box loaded. Now open carry might not be allowed even if you have a carry permit.

One problem with a loaded gun under the seat or in glove box is when you get out of the vehicle and leave your passenger in the car, they may now in violation of the state laws.

You need to go to each states laws and verify what they say. That is one reason it would be nice to have a National Standard.

Definitely go to each state law that you will be travelling in--they all have different wording and intent on CC, whether in car or out. The above quote is wrong in one respect--it mentions acceptance of loaded firearm under seat. In SC and many states it can be loaded while in the car but it either has to be CC on your person or concealed in a separate compartment--ie glove box, center console, trunk---IT CANNOT BE UNDER THE SEAT OR SOMEWHERE IN CAR THAT IS NOT SEPARATE AND DISTINCT. Again, this comes down to the state laws.State reciprocity helps a lot so if you are lucky, that will work in your favor but it really varies--next door state may be fine, yet another next door state may not recognize.

If you have a CC permit from NC, or from a reciprocal state, you may carry concealed in a vehicle. Anyone can carry openly in a vehicle in NC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back