Question about boycotting...

NavyLCDR

So, I read on here lots of posts that say, "I won't shop at XYZ chain store because corporate policy says they won't allow firearms."

So, I have 3 questions, mostly for the boycotters....

1. Will you boycott a corporation because they do not allow their employes to carry firearms? Examples: Wal Mart, Home Depot and even Starbucks?

2. Would you work for a corporation that did not allow it's employees to carry firearms?

3. Why make a deal about corporations that don't allow firearms in their stores, when almost every major corporation will not allow employees to carry firearms? Are not employees worthy of equal protections as Joe Citizen shopper is?

Interesting questions. Yes, I'm a "boycotter." My gut feeling on this is that if we did choose to boycott all businesses that disallow carrying for their employees, we might end up planting huge gardens and raising our own beef! Having never been an employer myself, I don't know how much liability id be assuming by allowing my employees to carry. So I can't say whether id boycott a business on that basis or not. I will certainly boycott any business that disallows patrons from exercising their constitutional right to carry, or actively lobbies against 2A rights.

Unfortunately, I can't boycott the USPS!

I don't shop Walmart because of their firearms policies but I work at a place that bans guns. Beggars can't be choosers ALL the time I guess.

Just remember that businesses have a liability issue if their employees carry. A lot of businesses are not willing to accept liability for employees that have minimal training.

I work for a company that doesn't allow me to carry. We also had a Walgreens pharmacists who shot and killed an armed robber and was fired because they do not allow employees to carry.

Oh boy, almost everybody does not allow their employees to carry, if I were to avoid all those stores I'd have a long ways to drive and could probably never get gas.

I don't generally boycott businesses that prohibit firearms. Concealed is concealed. If they ask me to leave, I will.

I don't have the luxury of boycotting, though I'm sure if someone irked me enough, I would make that choice and make it known.

I've kicked around the idea of boycotting. And my personal opinion is that it just isn't practical. Most businesses don't allow their employees to carry. And I suspect the majority of businesses out there have a "no firearms" policy imposed by their insurance agency. I'm not going to do the work of calling every place I do business with to find out what their policy is.

If a business has the "no guns" sign posted, or a published policy on their website, I'll take that into consideration (among other things) as I make my decision on whether or not to patronize them - and also whether or not to obey the sign!

Important note: In some states the "no guns" sign has the force of law behind it, and can carry a fine and/or jail sentence. In other states, the sign does NOT have any force of law, and you're only breaking the company's policy. Before you disobey the "no guns" sign, be sure you know which is the case in your state.

One example - on Sunday I went with family and friends to a Sox game at Fenway. I checked, and they have a "no gun" policy posted on their website. I checked a few other ballparks' websites, and this policy appears to be a nationwide policy of MLB. Does this mean I'll stop watching baseball? No. Does this mean I'll stop going to ballparks? No. Will I disobey their policy when I go to the ballpark? Probably not, because they can and do search you when you enter. Most likely I'll leave the firearm locked in my car in a lockbox.

Just my $0.02 worth.

There are so many things to dislike so many businesses about, if I made a point of boycotting every business that did something I disagree with, I wouldn't be able to buy anything anywhere.

When it's an easy choice (I don't remember why any more, but 20-ish years ago I decided to boycott McDonalds. Easy to do. If I absolutely HAD to have fast food, there were plenty of other choices,) it's easy. But choosing to boycott "all businesses that do [x behavior]" when "x behavior" is fairly common will get difficult.

What happens when you're driving on a long trip, and come to that lone gas station in the middle of nowhere that says "pay inside only" while also "no firearms inside"? Either you're going to have to hope you can make it to the next gas station, or you're going to have to "sacrifice your morals".

Rather than actively boycott, I now choose to instead focus on making a point of visiting companies that do things I LIKE. Instead of frozen-shipped-ten-states mass fast food, I get my fast food from all-local-ingredients Burgerville. Instead of horribly-underpaid-employees Wal-Mart, I buy from small local stores whenever possible, even if I'm buying the exact same made-in-China product.

I must say, I have yet to break my boycott of Ferrari or Lamborghini, though. :-D

As for guns at sporting events, Portland's two local teams both claim "no weapons", however both venues are owned by the city, and Oregon's state preemption says that CHL holders are not bound by city and county laws regarding the regulation of carry in public places. Well, these sports venues are owned by the city, so obviously they're "public places", right?

Last edited:
I look out for myself they can look out for themselves. Myj
concern is my safety. No I would not work where could not carry unless it was law, not the employer, like, the university.

There are so many things to dislike so many businesses about, if I made a point of boycotting every business that did something I disagree with, I wouldn't be able to buy anything anywhere.
I DO boycott businesses who relocated customer service to another country.

I'm with Ed. My upstanding morals mean I am hereby boycotting Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Gucci, Rolex, and the aforementioned Italian car manufacturers. I'll not patronize people who do business that way!

I'm with Ed. My upstanding morals mean I am hereby boycotting Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Gucci, Rolex, and the aforementioned Italian car manufacturers. I'll not patronize people who do business that way!

You mean I have to quit wearing my Rolex that keeps perfect time and looks fantastic? Dang $30 down the drain and in 20 years I have only had to change the battery twice. Guess I'll see if I can sell it to some liberal anti for $50.

I shop at Walmart and Home Depot. They do not have any notice on their doors over here in my area. I don't go to Starbucks because I did not like it when I was charged $12 for stupid cup of coffee once. Never step foot in that establishment since. I do not boycott stores that do not allow their employees to have guns as long as I am allowed. Anyway, they won't know because I carry concealed. I am with BC1 -- I too will boycott stores that relocate their customer service to another country.

As for me, CDR, I carry concealed and have not had anyone say anything, so I must be doing it properly. My personal opinion about businesses who disallow firearms is that it is for liability reasons, not political reasons. Which is why, I think, that most businesses do not allow employees to carry. I was a Security Manager for many years and our international company would NOT allow officers to carry unless, of course, they were in an armed position.
Here is S.West Michigan, I have yet to see a "no firearms" sign at any of the stores or restaurants mentioned in this forum. With the exception of the Department Of Veteran's Affairs hospital where I've had a couple of compensation and Pension physicals in the past month!
The other thing that about boycotting that doesn't make sense to me is that, if one boycotts a business, that is, doesn't even go into the place, HOW does the business even know that they have been "boycotted?" As for the "boycotter," what does he (or she) accomplish other than missing a good deal or a meal? As far as Wal-Mart is concerned, I'm of the opinion that if every license holder in the U.S. boycotted them, they would probably not even notice. Just my thoughts.

I shop at Walmart and Home Depot. They do not have any notice on their doors over here in my area. I don't go to Starbucks because I did not like it when I was charged $12 for stupid cup of coffee once. Never step foot in that establishment since. I do not boycott stores that do not allow their employees to have guns as long as I am allowed. Anyway, they won't know because I carry concealed. I am with BC1 -- I too will boycott stores that relocate their customer service to another country.
Got hooked on Starbucks when I was working. For $12.00, I can buy 16oz of gound and brew my own! Which I do! My one remaining bad habit.

If the company posts a sign on the door I will do my best NOT to shop there. If it happens to be the only place I can go, I will go there. However, given an option, I will shop elsewhere when I can.

My company doesn't allow weapons on the property. And if they find out, you are gone. They made it perfectly clear. (It's an insurance company.) That said, the only time a weapon problem comes up in the underwriting division is when the inspection company finds one unprotected. Unprotected means: Left unattended, out of a safe or in public view. In short, concealed means concealed. We have no problem with licensed carry. We insure a number of used car dealers. What used car dealer doesn't have a weapon?

I work for a state college, and the State has a no firearms policy. Even though I cast a pretty big shadow, and I've had more unarmed combat training than I want to think about, I STILL feel a little bit like a target when all I have to use are my wits and a steel thermos...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back