Purchase recommendations

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
Which make of AK is the best one to buy now and why? Best in terms of quality for the price. I'm looking to make a new purchase. I'm no where as well versed in rifles as I am with handguns.

WASR works

Just bought one a few weeks ago. The finish sucks, and It's not designed to be pretty. The thing works really well and doesn't cost as much as SAIGA, Yugo, or Bulgarian.

Just bought one a few weeks ago. The finish sucks, and It's not designed to be pretty. The thing works really well and doesn't cost as much as SAIGA, Yugo, or Bulgarian.
That was the design intent of the AK. It was never meant to be pretty, just work. :agree:

I had heard years ago that the Bulgarian was the best. Not sure how hard they are to get any more. Seems like they had a forged receiver where a lot of the others were stamped but not sure about that.

For the money, I would buy a parts kit and build yourself. You can still pick up a Romanian kit for about $200. A receiver will be about $55, and additional compliance parts might run another $75.

The market is getting crazy today because of the election and prices are getting ridiculous. Most of the new kits coming in are now required to not only have the receiver cut, but the barrel as well. So, even if you wanted to buy one now and build another one later, now is the time to buy a parts kit while the barrels are still intact.

Right now is a bad time to be shopping for an AK. Many of the choices have pretty much dried up due to import restrictions. I have a WASR 2 --5.45X39 caliber. I like this caliber because it's very cheap to shoot. I just ordered a case (2160 rounds) or ammo for about $287. I also have a Tantal--Polish with folding stock it too is 5.45 and it also works well but does look better than the WASR. I would trust either as a defense rifle if their is need. The cheap ammo makes it easy to practice without worry of cost.

One big warning with any AK from Century--try to look at it before you buy it. One reason I'm happy with both of mine is that I was able to look at several of each model before I bought and pick the one I wanted. If you order one and take what is sent you may need to send it back.

This would be my 2nd AK variant

I bought an MAK-90 sportster thumbhole stock back when the Clinton It's A Crime Bill was passed for about $280 in 1994. From what I have read the Chinese AK variants are better because they have a thicker receiver. I haven't fired it yet. I have about about 2000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39mm ammo for it. Half JHPs, half FMJ. The rifle itself is in excellent shape. It's probably tripled to quadrupled in value since the Chinese AK variants are no longer obtainable.

My AK variant list to buy before the AWB is brought back for another decade;
  • Another 7.62x39 with a factory folding stock probably an Arsenal.
  • A 5.45x39mm AK variant. It appears that they are no longer obtainable from Arsenal.
  • More 7.62x39mm AK 30 or 40 round AK magazines.
I have other items on my to obtain list that are not relevant to this thread.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back