Protecting Your Pets?

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A coyote killed a dog recently in New Orleans City Park. You can Link Removed.

That got me thinking, would it be legal to draw and fire if a coyote was attacking one of my dogs? I'm thinking it might be a kind of grey area since you need to fear for you life, not sure if your pets would count. I talked to a friend that is a New Orleans police officer and while he didn't say Yes or No it seemed like he was leaning towards "I" would need to feel like my life in is danger and that a coyote going after my dog wouldn't fly.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that I like a minute from City Park and walk my dogs there almost every morning.

Lukem, seeing that you are from Louisiana as well, let me say this. In louisiana a pet is still by law considered property. Therefore If somebody kicks or even kills your dog you can't use lethal force ( I know obvious right?) Anyway, as from protecting from a wild animal such as coyote I assume Leo might consider that you weren't in danger. However the coyote close enough to attack a dog is obviously not concerned with people. To me one could argue either side. I remember this because the instructor that taught my ccw class drilled into us that lethal force on "property" is a no go. With the obvious exception of your house with you inside. But what would they charge you with? First degree coyote slaughter? Lol. I think if it were the coyote or the dog I'd shoot the coyote.

But what would they charge you with? First degree coyote slaughter? Lol.
Unlawful discharge of a firearm. Endangering the Public.
Is City Park a gun free area? Most public parks are. Check your local codes to find out. If so you have Illegal possession of a firearm. Plenty of things to charge you with if they want to. Heck, they may throw in a noise ordiance violation for the sound of the gun going off. Don't underestimate them.

Also it might depend on the state. Here we have a pretty lax castle doctrine law that allows you to protect your property and a dog would follow under that category. With that being said I wouldn't recommend firing if you are on say a crowded street or anything like that. I'm sure a new puppy would cost a lot less than negligent homicide or something else bad.

A coyote killed a dog recently in New Orleans City Park. You can Link Removed.

That got me thinking, would it be legal to draw and fire if a coyote was attacking one of my dogs? I'm thinking it might be a kind of grey area since you need to fear for you life, not sure if your pets would count. I talked to a friend that is a New Orleans police officer and while he didn't say Yes or No it seemed like he was leaning towards "I" would need to feel like my life in is danger and that a coyote going after my dog wouldn't fly.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that I like a minute from City Park and walk my dogs there almost every morning.

I walk my dog and often wonder if it would be legal draw your weapon on let's say a pit bull, if it were in the process of tearing and ripping flesh would that be considered family member or a friend? Good question, Luke

Pennsylvania has a good law for using deadly force for dog/pet attacks. I will have to reread it and see it it also applies to wild animals.

I haven't carried in the park yet since I don't have my LA permit yet (working on that one). But I've been carrying a golf club with me just in case.

One other possible "Jam-up" hre might be if the wild animal is a "protected" animal. Before I moved to my current residence, the community had to close the lake for a year because of high bacteria levels due to a large number of Canadian Geese using it as their restroom. Granted the geese were not physically dangerous (though I could see them going after a small pet...they have nasty looking barbed tongues too!) but killing a Federally protected animal usually comes with a large fine.

Often times family pets will defend their owner from an animal attack while you draw your weapon to defend your life against the crazy dog or wild animal attack. This is NOT the same as using your gun to defend your animal. Make sure to get the story straight.

In my area, the law indicates that it's perfectly legal to kill a predator to save livestock, but not for pets. I really wonder, with owning a dog seemingly practically a prerequisite for living in my area, whether any jury would convict on this though...or if you'd even get charged.

Here in CT, animals do not have a right to self defense. Therefore, if a person came up to Rover and started beating him with a hammer, then you would have no right to use lethal force to protect him. However, if that same person came at you, and Rover just happened to get in the way, then you would have all the justification you needed for any force, up to and including lethal.

As TekGreg stated, make sure that you get your story straight. It all depends on how your narrative flows.

I suppose it all depends on where you live. Here in my county there is a bounty on them of $50.00 per animal. We have cattle farms all over the county and they will take down a small new born in a heartbeat and home pets of any type. My property (101 acers) is circled by cattle pastures and my hard woods. I just saw a large yote this A.M. while I was fishing on the lake crossing my neighbors pasture. I called my neighbor when I went home and tonight he will be hunted to try and rid the area of him. They are such a problem here that the farmes all put small donkey's in with the cattle for their protection. A donkey will kill a yote as quick as a 22-250 will.
Bill

As a serious dog lover and believer of the to defend one's family (and if your dogs aren't, you don't need one), put a round over it head to scare off and dispatch it if that doesn't work. It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Don't know where you live, but around here in NEPA using your EDC pistol on an animal—and especially on an animal that hasn't already drawn your blood—is a guaranteed one way ticket to jail and the immediate loss of your LTC.

I am aware of two cases where a licensed handgun carrier fired his pistol at a dog. In one instance this was done to stop a dog fight; and, in the other event, in order to protect a family pet. Both shooters were subsequently arrested, and lost their LTC's.

If you're worried about being attacked by a dog or other wild animal my suggestion would be to do what I do, and ALSO carry either a folding pocket knife, or some sort of stout shillelagh. (I call mine a 'walking stick'.) ;)

I think you are confusing a sword cane with a cane gun. Cane guns are treated as "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) under the National Firearms Act, NFA 1934, and are subject to federal registration and taxation.
No, I am referring to a sword cane just like the one I watched a guy get arrested for carrying at a New Jersey amusement park last year. I remember thinking to myself as I watched this arrest: Damn, the dude might as well have been carrying an illegal concealed handgun—The fine and punishment are going to be the same!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back