Prospective P.O seeks advice

Stratus41298

Hi guys,

I was recently rejected from my dream department (West Hartford). One of the biggest reasons this happened was because I carry my firearm at work (concealed of course). My job has a no weapons policy (even though everyone seems to have a pocket knife). They said this was a big deal because if I break that rule, then what will I break when I'm a cop?

This department is the top in the state so the standards are pretty high, but is this a big deal? Should I stop carrying if I want to get into a department? I need some help because I don't want to stop carrying to be honest, but I will if it's going to be a huge issue.

Also, this department in question doesn't have an oral board interview. Instead they have an assistant chief's interview which consisted only of questions about my past. Examples: have you ever committed a crime, have you ever taken illegal medications, etc... They never really got to know me. I didn't expect them to ask what my perfect date was, but I expected them to get to know me more than they did. I was judged soley on what i've done in my past. I felt like I started at zero and could only go down. I really didn't have much to gain other than a quick list of things I was skilled in.

Should I expect this in an oral board interview too? Will I even have a chance to gain a few points? I'm from CT in case anyone is wondering. I'm going to post this in the CT forum as well.

How did they find out that you carry concealed? If you're concealing properly, then nobody should know. If you told them knowing that they have a "no weapons" policy, then you directly contributed to your own demise.

I strongly recommend following the rules to the best of your ability. If they have a "no weapons" policy, you shouldn't be openly admitting that you break the rules. Most employers appreciate employees following the rules and not deciding which ones are ok to violate and which ones aren't.

Good luck in the future, hope you don't catch too much heat for carrying concealed where prohibited.

gf

well it started by them asking me if I have a CCW permit. I said yes. After a while they asked basically if I've ever carried where I shouldn't and I said at work they have a no weapons policy. I couldn't really avoid the question. I'm just wondering if this is a big deal everywhere, or if the WHPD just feels strongly about that.

I feel like I should avoid honesty when I can. Everyone told me to be dreadfully honest with them but I feel like I could've omitted certain things from them and would have been better off doing so.

Last edited:
well it started by them asking me if I have a CCW permit. I said yes. After a while they asked basically if I've ever carried where I shouldn't and I said at work they have a no weapons policy. I couldn't really avoid the question. I'm just wondering if this is a big deal everywhere, or if the WHPD just feels strongly about that.

I feel like I should avoid honesty when I can. Everyone told me to be dreadfully honest with them but I feel like I could've omitted certain things from them and would have been better off doing so.

Stratus... I answered you in a duplicate post of this thread. So you were not fired from the job you just fessed up during the interview about carrying there?? Yes, folks are right that you have to be dreadfully honest.... to a degree. Don't offer anything... don't EVER admit to something that cannot be found out. Job history, criminal record (if any) and military record can all be "looked up" by an investigating agency.With these things you must be completely honest as they can and will look it up. Have you ever taken any of your wifes or girlfriends prescription medication? Some of us have at one time or another... they can't look it up, you don't have to admit to it. Do you have to submit to a polygraph? I'm going to send you a PM, be on the lookout for it.

One for me, too?!?

Hey Glockster, if that PM is concerning polygraph, would you mind sending me a copy? Thanks.

polygraph BS

check out A Tremor in the Blood by David T. Lykken. It explains how there's no real "lie detector" and how to defeat most examinations. It also sheds some light on the GKT- guilty knowledge test. Avery good read.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back