Professional Knife Sharpeners?

AndeyHall

Hey guys I've got a CRKT Sting that isn't too sharp out of the box and I'm no great knife sharpener. Anybody know of a person or company who knows what they're doing and I can send my knife to them and let them sharpen it for me and put a real edge on it?

CRKT used to make some pretty good knives, but around 2005 or so, nearly all their manufacturing went to Taiwan and China. Taiwan does produce *some* good blade steels, but nothing out of China is worth a flip that I've ever seen. Not positive where the Sting is produced, but I do know a thing or two about the steel used in its blade.

Dimensions

Open Overall Length
6.85 inches
Weight
3.9 ounces

<tbody>
</tbody>

Blade
Length3.197 inches
Thickness0.137 inches
Material1050
Blade-HRC52-55
FinishBlack Powder Coat
GrindDouble Edge
StyleSpear Point
EdgeDual Plain

<tbody>
</tbody>

Handle
MaterialHot Forged 1050 Carbon Steel

<tbody>
</tbody>

Of the 10-series carbon steels, 1050 sits at the bottom for carbon content, which translates into likewise sitting at the bottom for hardness potential. A heat-treat to "52-55" (Rockwell Hardness rating) is nearly "mush" in knife-steels vernacular, which would lead one to surmise that the Sting is likely made in China. HRCs of 57-59 at a minimum are needed to ensure edge retention and overall durability. It is possible to achieve such ratings from 1050, but unheard of when it comes from China, and very rare when coming out of Taiwan.

Carry
Carry SystemMulti-Position High-Strength Nylon Fabric/Glass Filled Nylon Sheath
Weight2.4 ounces

<tbody>
</tbody>

Compounding the problem is the "glass filled nylon" sheath. Nearly every brand name buys these pieces of trash because they are easy and cheap to mold to a given shape. One of my favorite manufacturers, Becker Knife and Tool (designs licensed to Ka-Bar for manufacture at-present) uses glass/nylon sheaths on one of their most popular blades, the BK2. You can go to Blade Forums or any other knife/survival-related forum and find people trying to give them away for free. Glass and nylon will dull a blade faster'n poop through a goose, so not only do you have some of the softest steel ever used to make a blade from, but the company who made it paired it with a sheath that will dull it if you ever actually use it.

Paying someone to sharpen mush is a waste of money even more so than the waste of money you spent to buy the knife in the first place. Chuck the sheath and find a leathersmith or Kydex bender who can/will make one for you, and maybe an edge will last long enough to cut loose threads off your uniform from time to time. LOL

Blues

I already have a custom kydex sheath. I was just trying to get the blade sharp for a last ditch knife. It's not made for cutting day to day stuff, it's just a backup weapon.

My Zero Tolerance 300 series
I use a Spyderco tri angle Sharpener system.
Made in the USA
• Assisted opening
• Titanium frame lock
• Quad-mount clip (tip-up/down; left/right)
• Steel: S30V, Tungsten DLC coating

Thanks for the info guys. I actually have a really nice Benchmade automatic knife that stays in my back pocket as a backup, but I also wanted one on my boot as a backup as well, but the blade couldn't be longer than 4", so that's why I went with the CRKT Sting.

My Zero Tolerance 300 series
I use a Spyderco tri angle Sharpener system.
Made in the USA
• Assisted opening
Titanium frame lock
• Quad-mount clip (tip-up/down; left/right)
• Steel: S30V, Tungsten DLC coating

The knife in your picture has no titanium anywhere on or in it, nor is it a frame-lock. The frame is made of stainless steel and the locking system is a liner-lock. It's a great knife, no doubt, but the titanium/frame-lock model of similar blade design listed (it's now discontinued) for $340.00, and that one lists for $185.00. The tiger-striped version of the titanium frame-lock model with combo blade is the ZT 301ST. That is a ZT 350TSST.

Don't freak out and start calling me a bully because I know what I'm talking about. I am not part of Navy's (or anybody else's) "crew," and I didn't have to search on anything when I saw that you misrepresented the knife in your picture. I have collected knives since I was a youngin', and I own a boatload of Zero Tolerance knives...

100_1290.jpg

Those are just the ZT 300s I own. I also own a couple 301s and a few variations the 350 like or similar to the one in your picture. If my word isn't good enough for you, perhaps you will take the word of Blade HQ, one of the bigger knife dealers on the web:

• Overall Length:7.75"
  • Blade Length:3.25"
  • Cutting Edge:3.125"
  • Blade Thickness:0.125"
  • Blade Material:CPM-S30V
  • Blade Style:Drop Point
  • Blade Grind:Hollow
  • Finish:Tiger Stripe
  • Edge Type:Serrated
  • Handle Length:4.50"
  • Handle Thickness:0.50"
  • Handle Material:G-10 (Not titanium, as the handles in the above picture are made from)
  • Color:Black
  • Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel
  • Weight:6.20 oz.
  • User:Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip:Tip-Up, Tip-Down
  • Knife Type:Spring Assisted
  • Opener:Flipper, Thumb Stud
  • Lock Type:Liner Lock
  • Brand:Zero Tolerance
  • Model:0350
  • Model Number:0350TSST
  • Country of Origin:USA
  • Best Use:Everyday Carry
  • Product Type:Knife

So the only question I have is, especially after your rant towards Navy in another thread, who's ego needed to be stroked when they took a picture of a very well made, above average knife and tried to pass it off as an even better-made, higher-quality, nearly 2-times-as-expensive knife? Just curious....

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back