probably a stupid question about shotgun barrels

Comp_sH00tEr24

Would shooting shot out of a rifled barrel damage the barrel or change the spread pattern?

From what I've seen on The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing , shooting shot out of a rifled barrel will have no adverse affects to either, as the shot is propelled inside the cup until after it exits the barrel. I'm no expert, but I believe this is the case with all shot. It never truly contacts the barrel.

I may stand corrected by someone that knows better.....

Case Study #1: Link Removed

Case Study #2: The Box O' Truth #45 - Shotgun Chokes and Buckshot Part Two - Page 1

DISCLAIMER: These links, nor my posting thereof, do not constitute official or expert opinions. It is up to you and your own research to determine which situation is most appropriate for your case. I am but a lowly internet surfer with some firearms experience. If I had a rifled barrel, I wouldn't have any issue shooting shot.

Happy research!

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but TBOT is a great site to look through. And from those two examples, I think you can extrapolate enough information to answer your question.

Box o truth

Actually if you go through the Box o truth testing it showed that the rifled barrel causes larger patterns with a "donut hole" due to the spinning of the shot and cup.

Let's try the Wolf at 5 yards with the rifled barrel.

Here's the results.

Notice that the pattern opened up to 18 inches, and definitely has the "donut" pattern as expected.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back