Price of Ammo

Daven

"Gimpy"
Ok, strange question, but why not. I'm feeling stupid today.

I have always bought my ammo at my range when I go, box by box, each time I go.

I have recently thought this might be the dumb way to go. I normally pay $20.00 per box of 50. I carry a 1911 in .45. I also recently acquired a .38 cal. I think I pay $18.00 per box for that.

Am I paying too much? Last winter I was at a gun show and saw cases of ammo for sale, my friend bought 250 rounds of .45 for $187.00. He said that was a deal.

I would like to buy a case so I can go a long time between buying. How much is average for .45 and .38? I know .22 is the cheapest, but I don't have a 22 (YET).

Thanks for helping, Also , WHERE do you buy your ammo? there isn't a gun show before a big retreat I am going on the 12-14 of May. It is a church men's retreat where we spend all day Friday shooting guns. between the men at my church (including a pastor who carry's 24/7) we have about 20 guy's and will have about 50 guns there. I can't wait! I really want to go prepared, not with only 1 or 2 boxes of ammo. (I'm sure if I run out, I could get someone to help me out).

Daven, get online and google up "handgun ammo for sale" go through all the ads, there are several places with inexpensive ammo, I will not recamend one place over another, just check and see who will give you the best deal for what you want

Cheaper than dirt is on on-line place. I' go find the other place I got a card for at the NRA exhibits

ammunitiontogo.com and Link Removed - got a decal for the last that starts with "Need Ammo? factory direct"

Sillman Cartridge Co. hands down. Customer service is 1st rate and shipping charges are very reasonable. I shoot mostly 5.56 68gr match and it is very consistent with .75 inch groups.

total price divided by # of rounds = price per round.

buying bulk generally saves you more. of course, if you reload your own ammo, you save even more. mor savings = more shooting :D

Got a Walmart near you? I buy Federal 45acp. for 16.97 box of 50, and 9mm 10.97 box of 50. If you can drive there cheaper than shipping charges from any online ammo place and the prices are usually cheaper. They also are not limiting the amount you buy anymore. I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm ($219.40) and 500 rounds of 45 ($169.70) I can't find anyone online that can match that after the shipping and taxes. Price is supposed to go up in May sometime from everyone so stock up while you can, any way you can.

Daven:198262 said:
Ok, strange question, but why not. I'm feeling stupid today.

I have always bought my ammo at my range when I go, box by box, each time I go.

I have recently thought this might be the dumb way to go. I normally pay $20.00 per box of 50. I carry a 1911 in .45. I also recently acquired a .38 cal. I think I pay $18.00 per box for that.

Am I paying too much? Last winter I was at a gun show and saw cases of ammo for sale, my friend bought 250 rounds of .45 for $187.00. He said that was a deal.

I would like to buy a case so I can go a long time between buying. How much is average for .45 and .38? I know .22 is the cheapest, but I don't have a 22 (YET).

Thanks for helping, Also , WHERE do you buy your ammo? there isn't a gun show before a big retreat I am going on the 12-14 of May. It is a church men's retreat where we spend all day Friday shooting guns. between the men at my church (including a pastor who carry's 24/7) we have about 20 guy's and will have about 50 guns there. I can't wait! I really want to go prepared, not with only 1 or 2 boxes of ammo. (I'm sure if I run out, I could get someone to help me out).
gotta be careful buying reloads at a gunshow, you can get bulk ammo from cabelas and bass pro. Mostly i just wanted to say i think its really cool you can go shoot with fellow brothers and its really cool your pastor doesn't do the PC thing. Way to go guys!

Also around my area Wal-mart and Academy are the best "box at a time" places for price. just my 2 cents.

Here are the local Walmart's for your area: Link Removed Usually the larger ones have a sporting goods dept. Call around and see if you can save some money.

As you can see by the post's why I would not rec one place over another, some places only sell bulk, so if you only want 2 or 2 box's it would not really be what you want, Wally World is really your best bet cost wise, except they do not always have what you want in stock,

Thanks Horkos. Yep, my pastor is a big gun nut and 2A supporter, he is also an NRA instructor, has his M-Div and is the Sr. Pastor of a great Bible Based church. If any of you want to listen to an interview my pastor gave to Eric of Handgun Podcast.com, here's the link,Handgun Podcast Scroll down, he is about 30 min into the episode "Gifford's, God, and Gun's I think it's #129. It's really great, not only because I am biased toward my pastor, but he explains being a pastor and a gun nut. It's really easy to justify it Biblically.

Gimpy

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back