Preparing for Lawsuits to Stop Implementation of Any Further Anti-Gun Bills in CA

freethink

freethink
Hello - :help:

PLEASE SHARE THE LINK TO THIS POST IN YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS! (Facebook, twitter, e-mail lists...)

As goes California, so goes the nation. If we can't hold the line here, what we see happening is going to spread like wildfire.
We are going to need a lot of help from outside the state too to pull through this. Please read on - and prepare for battle!

As has been well-documented in a couple threads I've generated and added to over time in this forum, there have been from October 2013 through October 2014, 20 gun control bills in California that ended up getting signed into law (by the State alone, not counting any local laws), leading many people without recourse except to challenge the state in the courts or hope that the laws would be overturned by organizations that take legal action to defend the 2nd amendment in a more general sense. Fortunately, 2015 went pretty well, and most of California's newly proposed gun control bills stalled out or were vetoed. However, two more bills (SB 707, AB 1134) were signed into law during that year. One of those (SB 707 (2015)) is now the subject of Link Removed.

Unfortunately, we now are contending with the prospect of not just the twenty-two unconstitutional bills that we have already seen get passed in the recent legislative sessions (as I've described in my prior posts both here and also here, but with another 16 bills, which if passed would amount to a sum total of thirty-eight unconstitutional anti-gun bills that we would have to live with (measuring from October 2013 to the present). Given the nature of the bans of ammunition, bans on guns, and registration and serialization requirements that would be imposed by the new bills, as well as the ongoing introduction of more and more bills, it is clear that California Legislators will not stop until guns are completely banned in the State. :blink:

Therefore I urge all reading this post to join me in communicating to your legal counsel (lawyer or legal group) as well as to other persons who may be able to act to defend yourself or a group of plaintiffs legally (such as FPC, NRA, Michel and Associates, P.C., Calguns Foundation, etc.,) right away, that you wish to begin developing a plan to stop implementation of any of these bills (shown below) by challenging them in court, should they become law.

I believe we need to draw a clear line in the sand, as has been pointed out before in this forum. Remaining in this state only is logical if we are willing to strike down the unconstitutional attacks on people's constitutional rights. "Not One More" needs to be our motto. We are long past the time when we have given them an inch, and surely it has now been learned that "if you give them an inch, they will take a mile." Every one of these bills, if signed into law, needs to be challenged in court.

AB 156 – The Gutted and Amended Ammo Restriction Bill: like the defeated AB 962 (2009-2010) and SB 53 (2013-2014), proposes useless crime creation against ammo owners or buyers.
AB 857 – The Gutted and Amended Restriction On Curios, Relics and Home-Built Firearms: Would require retroactive serialization and registration of firearms from the past 50 years.
AB 1135 – The Gutted and Amended “Assault Weapons” Ban: Part of a bill package that would ban 70 percent of all firearms in CA.
AB 1511 – The Gutted and Amended Bill that Criminalizes Loaning Firearms
AB 1663 – Expands “Assault Weapons” Ban, Adds “Bullet Button” Semi-Auto Firearms and Curios and Relics: Part of bill package that would ban 70 percent of all firearms in CA
AB 1664 – Expands “Assault Weapons” Ban to Include “Bullet Button” Firearms: Part of bill package that would ban 70 percent of all firearms in CA
SB 880 – Expands “Assault Weapons” Ban to Include “Bullet Button” Semi-Auto Rifles, Pistols: Part of bill package that would ban 70 percent of all firearms in CA
AB 1673 – Expands Definition of “Firearm” to Include Non-Firearm Materials: Would make a steel block or a shovel meet the definition of a firearm
AB 1674 – Expands the 30-day purchase limit to all firearms; deletes the “private party” exemption, you would only be able to buy one rifle or shotgun per month.
SB 894 – Mandatory Law Enforcement Reports for Lost or Stolen Firearms: Criminalizes victims who don't fill out the right form within a certain timeline
SB 1446 – Ban on ALL Magazines that were Designed to Hold More than 10 Rounds, even those already legal under CA law
SB 1407 – Retroactive ‘Ghost Gun’ Registration and Regulation ('Retro' bill attempts to require serialization and registration of guns that aren't required to be serialized or registered)
AB 2607 – Expanding Gun Violence Restraining Orders (would allow anyone in the workplace to accuse you of speaking improperly and have restraining orders launched to quell routine speech)
AB 2510 – Eliminates Uniformity of CCWs
AB 1695 – Expansion of Prohibitions and Threatening Letters from DOJ to Gun Owners
SB 1006 – UCs anti-2nd Amendment centers (Note: California has so far refused to participate in NVDRS (the National Violent Death Reporting System at the CDC) which would be a logical place to submit data, but instead wants to create anti-2nd amendment centers under SB 1006 and claim that they are valid "research" centers).

While I absolutely encourage you to oppose these bills now (numerous of them were, as of Thursday May 19 2016 on the Senate Floor for a vote where they were approved, and now are moving onto the Assembly for a vote as well so be sure to oppose those headed to the Assembly floor with one easy form here), it is likely that most of these bills will in fact make it to Governor's desk where he will be faced with a decision to sign or veto the bills.

The best thing therefore that you can do is:

1) Use the form at https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/ to individually oppose each of the bills shown.

2) Copy all of the bills (shown above in this forum post and also shown at https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/) and send a message opposing all of the bills
to the Governor ASKING HIM TO VETO EACH ONE. In your message, make sure to state that none of the bills are consistent with the Revised Budget priorities and that the State does not need to add further restrictions on law-abiding persons attempting to exercise a Constitutional right. (You may also wish to add that in the Governor's message for similar gun bills which he vetoed in the prior legislative session, he stated, “Over the last several decades, California’s criminal code has grown to more that 5,000 separate provisions, covering almost every conceivable form of human misbehavior….Before we keep going down this road,” Brown said, “I think we should pause and reflect on how our system of criminal justice could be made more human, more just and more cost effective.”)
The Governor can be contacted at: Link Removed

3) Prepare to sue the State of California, individually or as one of various plaintiffs. Ask around for possibilities of how you could support a case if there is one already in process that you hear about that (if there is a group preparing to challenge these bills shown above, should they become law). Contact different groups.. California Correctional Peace Officers Association, Coalition for Civil Liberties, FPC, NRA-ILA, CRPA, Calguns Foundation, especially if you are a member of one of those groups, Michel and Associates, as they've done quite a bit of good work too. Or maybe there's a good lawyer you know who's willing to evaluate it seriously.

Do your homework - before you post a suggestion to this thread for someone (or an organization) that you think is viable who can do this, please do yourself and the other readers a favor, make sure you have contacted the organization first about it and ask them to evaluate the possibility, and get their honest response first.

4) Coordinate, organize! If there is a way for you to take on the State in court without going it alone, so much the better. Court battles are expensive. Crowdfunding is one way to raise funds for such an endeavor... It strikes me that the more of us are involved in a case to stop this (and are willing to support it) the better a chance the case will have.

The above bills could be passed and signed into law anytime between now and sometime in October, so you just have to keep your eyes on them and track them. If you know any statutory deadlines for challenging a bill once it's been signed into law in California, or other relevant factors that are limiting, or have other suggestions for how to effectively use the legal system to stop any of the above bills from being implemented should they be signed into law, please feel free to post those suggestions here in this thread for discussion. (Please suggest away.)

-------------------------------

Finally, regarding Gavin Newsom's proposed initiative statute for the November ballot, this would be a different case to challenge that. Obviously that needs to be challenged in court too if it were to pass. However, I think that Newsom's proposal actually would be easy to defeat in court for a variety of reasons, one being that it is made up of things that were already either defeated in the Legislature, vetoed, or ruled on by a court as matters that are considered unconstitutional (AB 962 of 2009, very similar to a portion of Newsom's proposal, was deemed unconstitutional as a result of Parker v. California which was funded exclusively by the NRA and the CRPA Foundation).

There is no question of course that we need to show up at the polls in November (or cast our mail-in ballots) to oppose Newsom's FIREARMS. AMMUNITION SALES initiative and
we should also donate to the effort to oppose Newsom's initiative. Find out more about what it is (and Link Removed.

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016, there was a Joint Hearing of the Assembly Public Safety And Senate Public Safety Committee(s), on the proposed Initiative Statute "FIREARMS. AMMUNITION SALES." (#1756)

The proponent for the Initiative Statute, Gavin Newsom, didn't even show up for the Joint Hearing.

However, there were many people that did show up.

The California Rifle & Pistol Association, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of California, and other members of the Coalition for Civil Liberties showed up for the Joint Hearing and offered testimony about the many problems with Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom’s so-called “Safety for All” ("FIREARMS. AMMUNITION SALES") Initiative. The CRPA & Coalition of Civil Liberties was responsible for bringing together these defenders of liberty. Some of those who spoke on the behalf of California gun owners included Michele Hanisse, who is President of the LA Association of Deputy District Attorneys, Cory Salzillo, California State Sheriff’s Association, and Joe Silvoso from the law firm of Michel & Associates.

Like the authors of the failed bills (AB 962 (2009-2010) which was declared unconstitutional by the courts as a result of Parker v. CA, the NRA / CRPAF case, and SB 53 (2013-2014)), the proponent of this Initiative included provisions that would subject ammunition sale to the limitation that it would force people who are buying ammunition “online” to have to pick it up in person at the business site of a licensed buyer and to be subjected to pervasive identity requirements. (This would prohibit online sales which allow ammunition to be shipped to one's door.)

The Initiative Statute constitutes an unconstitutional restriction on commerce (see Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution, Edwards v California (1941), and consolidated cases of Granholm v Heald and Swedenburg v Kelly [in which U.S. Supreme Court, on a 5-4 vote, found state laws that prohibited out-of-state wineries from selling wine over the Internet directly to consumers violated the Commerce Clause]).

To wit: “Held: (...) This Court has long held that, in all but the narrowest circumstances, state laws violate the Commerce Clause if they mandate “differential treatment of in-state and out-of-state economic interests that benefits the former and burdens the latter.” (Granholm v. Heald (2005)), (Swedenburg v. Kelly (2005))

I have sent my objections on these grounds about this Initiative Statute to the CA Office of the Attorney General and to the Secretary of State. I have asked that they remove the Initiative Statute from consideration, as it is not legally sound and directly conflicts with the U.S. Supreme Court's rulings on interstate commerce.

Furthermore, I have sent my recommendation that the FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition, of which i am a member), NRA, and CRPAF, sue to overturn the Initiative should it pass, and that they target not only Gavin Newsom but the State of California in the lawsuit. (I have received a kind response recently from the NRA-ILA to my suggestion.) If the State of California refuses to acknowledge that the Initiative is patently unconstitutional and an assault on our Second Amendment right as well as being directly in conflict with U.S. Supreme Court decisions on interstate commerce, then we will have no choice.

The Coalition of Civil Liberties opposes the Initiative, and we all should. In fact, I have also recommended to the Governor that he rein in Gavin Newsom, direct him to cease his political games, and direct him to withdraw his initiative.

Much as Governor Brown recently stated in a written message on his website to Governor Scott, "Governor Brown to Governor Scott: "Time to Stop the Silly Political Stunts and Start Doing Something About Climate Change," Governor Brown could easily state the same to Gavin Newsom: "Governor Brown to Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom: Time to Stop the Silly Political Stunts and Withdraw the "Safety for All" Initiative." It would be the right thing to do, even if it would be politically difficult.

The Coalition of Civil Liberties has many supporters, and some of the organizations which are part of the Coalition are:

CalGuns Shooting Sports Association
California Reserve Peace Officers Association
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Congress of Racial Equality
FFLGuard
Gun Owners of California
Jews Can Shoot
Law Enforcement Alliance of America
Los Angeles Association of Deputy District Attorneys
National Shooting Sports Foundation
NRA Members' Council
Pink Pistols (Armed Gays)
San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association
Women Against Gun Control

and many more. This list will only grow larger in the months ahead.

I strongly suspect that if Newsom's initiative does pass there will be no shortage of organizations ready and willing to challenge it in court and they will do so successfully.

Note: I have identified a legal group which, after some inquiry, is interested in looking into this (may help challenging these bills should they become law) for me or for others. However, to do the initial evaluation as to feasibility of the case the costs would be steep (PM me for details, if you'd like to collaborate, etc - the more of us can team up on solving this problem the better). It is steep because the legal group is a good one that has been in the thick of these sort of cases before. The questions I have asked that they would be answering initially would be these:

1) What are the requirements and timeline for challenging these bills in federal court (possibly under 42 USC § 1983) should they become law, and and how long would I (or anyone else for that matter) have to do so after the bills have been signed into law?

2) What is the process for developing a case such that various people across the state could become involved as plaintiffs in a bill of peace, a.k.a. class action lawsuit? As I understand it, "all persons materially interested, either as plaintiffs or defendants in the subject matter of a bill ought to be made parties to the suit, however numerous they may be," so that the court could "make a complete decree between the parties [and] prevent future litigation by taking away the necessity of a multiplicity of suits" (West v. Randall, 29 F. Cas. 718, 2 [C.C.R.I. Mason] 181 [1820] [No. 17, 424]). However, I am not sure of the process in how such a case would be initiated, my interest would be to involve as many people as possible across the state so as to successfully challenge all of the bills referenced in this message (AB 156, AB 857, etc etc, should they become law). It seems clear to me that the planning for such an endeavor should start now, so I am interested to know how this would work.

So, if you can contribute ($$) to helping get these (and more) legal questions answered that would relate to the possibility of a case launched to stop implementation of more CA anti-gun laws, PM me. Alternately:

If you have a legal group (perhaps your own lawyer, or a legal firm that you can ask these questions to without initial cost due to a legal insurance program you may have, for example), please feel free to submit the above two questions to your own legal group and present the answers in thread, or PM. If you get answers to these questions from your legal counsel and can't post them due to lawyer-client confidentiality (e.g. legally priveleged communication), then don't.. just advise if there is a way that we can connect, collaborate, or support each other (organize together).

As a brief update to this, the cost of initiating the legal inquiry described above is about 2000 dollars. So if you are in a position where you are comfortable economically and would like to help out to begin the process of evaluating how to stop any further California firearm laws which would be passed and signed into law from being implemented, please contact me (private message me through this forum) as I will be checking this forum almost daily.

Wow, you've got your work cut out for you!

Does the California legislature have time to do anything else other than try to control guns?

Wow, you've got your work cut out for you!

Does the California legislature have time to do anything else other than try to control guns?

Hi Reba,

To answer your question, yep - they somehow manage to find time to offend a lot of our other rights, too.

First, the following bills which I will mention, are (with the exception of AB 351) the work of career politicians who happen to be California Democrats. We need to vote them out.

Stepping back in time to 2013, California did manage to pass AB 351, a bill that was designed to reject indefinite detention provisions of the NDAA (which by itself was not a bad bill, and was authored by Tim Donnelly, a Republican).

However, the California Legislature simultaneously passed SB 585 at that time, which was expressly written to result in detention and imprisonment without due process of anyone based on their economic status or mental state, and very nearly passed a bill which would have removed authority of the courts to hear cases where the State has prosecuted individuals (the original text of SB 127). Additionally, at that time, the State Legislature passed SB 816, which classified anyone the State disagrees with, or feels should be diagnosed and referred for services, as having an “intellectual disability.” All of the above bills passed and were signed into law.

The State Legislature also worked ardently to pass a bill at that same time (late 2013) which was expressly written to remove the authority of elected county officials to be able to decide whether State funds can be used in their county to detain and prosecute you without your consent and without due process (SB 664). This bill nearly passed the State Senate before being defeated.

All these bills, of course, made it obvious that the State Legislature didn't care at all about due process (which is supposed to be protected by the Constitution under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments).

And of course, the California Legislature had been working on many, many gun bills back in 2013 as well. Numerous of them came to pass and were ultimately signed into law. From October 2013 through October 2014, 20 unconstitutional gun control bills in California ended up getting signed into law (by the State alone).

Surely back in 2013, the California legislature was at that time in history possibly at the height of fascism – never before had it attacked so many rights at once during a single legislative session.

However, things were soon to get even worse.

The California Legislature came back with a bill to attempt to make it illegal to spend whatever type of currency you would want to in the State, including new and innovative (virtual) currencies. This was AB 1326 (2015-2016). Fortunately we got it defeated by getting it sent to the inactive file. There it sits until it dies.
Similarly, they launched AB 1681 in an attempt to Ban Smartphone Encryption. This bill has been introduced and been through the Assembly Privacy and Consumer Protection Committee, its current location. In essence the Legislature with these bills has been attempting to attack not only the notion of math and logic but as well the Constitutional right under the 4th Amendment. The courts have also found that the use of encryption (as well as the use of pseudonyms online) can be understood as a form of speech which has protection under the 1st Amendment.

Then there is SB 821, a direct assault on the 1st Amendment, which attempts to categorize any speech as an "imminent threat" for which anyone could be arrested whenever someone thinks you have said something that is a threat, even if it is not a threat and even if, in the words of the proposed legislation, "there is no intent of actually carrying it out." Incredibly, this bill has made it all the way to Senate Appropriations Committee and may go even further. A similar bill is AB 2607, opposed by the ACLU, mental health providers, and the FPC, which has passed Assembly and has gone onto Senate. These bills are not only a violation of the 1st Amendment, but are also a violation of the US Supreme Court precedent on the matter. Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case based on the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is directed to inciting, and is likely to incite, imminent lawless action. Specifically, it struck down Ohio's criminal syndicalism statute, because that statute broadly prohibited the mere advocacy of violence. In the process, Whitney v. California was explicitly overruled, and doubt was cast on Schenck v. United States, Abrams v. United States, Gitlow v. New York (1925), and Dennis v. United States. In short, SB 821's proposal (not to mention AB 2607) would never hold up in a court of law, yet the Legislature continues to persist in its attempt to restrict speech and other forms of expression.

They also attacked our very right to have our life preserved through a bloodline and certainly have no respect for the 10th Amendment in this regard, for the California Legislature has also launched SB 1095 - a bill which literally proposes to mandate genocidal discrimination against disabled communities which, if it were to be passed and signed into law, would mandate certain types of individuals to be screened out from the gene pool before they are even born based on a federal list which would involve genetic screening. (Unbelievably, this bill is now moving through the Legislature and has passed the Senate on a Special Consent Vote and is now onto the Assembly. The thought that they even have proposed it certainly sickens me. I happen to have a disability and the discrimination that the Legislature engages in while even considering such a bill is certainly deeply felt by me. I will continue to fight this bill as it moves through the Legislature and I will continue to demand that the Governor veto it should it reach his desk.)

I wish I was joking about all this -- I'm not. It really has gotten this bad.

And that is only part of it -- while really what the California Legislature is doing involves much more (many things that are like what I have mentioned above, and things that are even worse, if you can believe that), in general we are not allowed to disclose much of what goes on, because the Legislature adopted a law criminalizing the release of video footage of what it is that they are doing. As a result, there is now a lawsuit ongoing to try to overturn that very law, so that anyone would be able to release the video footage of the Legislature's unconstitutional, vile, and often criminal actions.

Then there are all the gun bills listed above in this post which are "new" for this legislative session. Not all of them will pass. Some of them may, and for those that do (and are signed into law), then those are the ones that we will need to fight to overturn in court, and promptly.

I also haven't mentioned all the anti-business bills that are regularly passed in this State that make it nearly impossible to survive. If you live here, you know what I mean. Those bills are not specifically the subject of this forum and they would take another several pages to list thoroughly even if we were to limit the list to legislative anti-business activity over the last two years.

I have heard some people tell me that I am just being negative, and that I should look towards what is good about the State. Or alternatively that there are long-run goals to look forward to, that is, in the words of Murray Rothbard, who suggested that "the main task of the present epoch is to cast off (...) needless and debilitating pessimism, to set (one's) sights on long-run victory and to set about the road to its attainment.” That's nice and all, but we must first be realistic and lay out what is really happening so that we can understand what we are going to do about the problems we face. In many of my posts on this forum I've laid out in detail what is California's legislative record, and the problem with that, and why we can't allow its program of incrementalism to continue. If we do allow it to continue, we face complete catastrophe in the State, and other people in many other States will also face a loss of their rights, because what happens in California will soon befall other States.

Meanwhile, if anyone reading this lives in the State of California and you are registered to vote, please do all of California a favor and vote the bums out who are in the Assembly and Senate. That means don't vote for any Democrats in the State Assembly or State Senate, if you care about your rights, and do your best to get more Republicans in the Assembly and Senate who actually will vote against bills that would violate our 2nd Amendment rights (and for bills that would strengthen them). June 7th is right around the damn corner, people, so if you didn't already vote by mail, go turn in your ballot at a polling place (see your voting materials for instructions) or if you are not a vote-by-mail voter, please don't forget to vote.

Anyway, getting back on track, to Reba's question, I hope that I answered your question. Yes, the California legislature does have time to do other things other than control guns. They try to attack our ability to exercise our other Constitutional rights as well, and they work very hard to make life more difficult for small and medium size business owners in the State.

With that said, please PM me if you would like to contribute to the cause referred to in this post, so I can begin the initial evaluation of the feasibility of the case against the State.

Here's the fundrazr link to help fund the legal effort to stop California anti-gun bills. Legal Challenge to California Anti-Gun Bills by Colin Gallagher

NOTE: IF YOU CANNOT SEE THE ABOVE FUNDRAZR LINK ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE, PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING INTO YOUR BROWSER ADDRESS BAR TO VIEW THE LEGAL EFFORT TO STOP CALIFORNIA'S ANTI-GUN BILLS. (Please Share!)

fundrazr.com/018flf

Edit: As of July 12, 2016, this campaign accepts PayPal or WePay donations and the deadline for donations has been extended.

If you want to take the additional step of becoming a team member of the campaign and effort to stop these anti-gun bills, please visit the following link (copy and paste into browser address bar):

fundrazr.com/campaigns/018flf/join

Initially I have taken the step of sending this link to the following organizations / businesses - I encourage individuals and businesses to join up.

FPC
Michel and Associates, P.C. - Attorneys at Law
831Shooter
Barnes Bullets, Inc.
Ammo Brothers
Custom Cartridge
Juggernaut Tactical

EDIT as of July 1, 2016: The California Legislature passed 11 bills and sent them to the Governor on June 30, 2016.
The Governor's office was contacted by phone on June 30, 2016 and his staff confirmed that he would be acting on the bills before he leaves the State.

As of 11:45 AM PDT July 1 2016: The following bills have been vetoed / signed - based on my call in today at 11:30 AM July 1, 2016 to the Governor's office:

Governor vetoed AB 1176, AB 1673 (Gipson's ghost gun bill), AB 1674, AB 2607, SB 894
Governor signed into law AB 1135, AB 1511, 1695, SB 880, SB 1235, SB 1446
Governor failed to act on AB 857 before his European vacation, but as of Friday July 22, he signed this unconstitutional bill into law.

There will be a need to initiate the lawsuit which has been contemplated in this post. Please donate at the above fundrazr link and share this post.

Links to the legal campaign to challenge anti-gun laws in 2016 have been updated to reflect the best FPC and FPF links to use for this effort. Please read through and share the link(s).

If you wish to share the links directly rather than reviewing the legal campaign page, they are (please share widely!) the following:

FPF - Gunpocalypse page (Donations made here are tax deductible) Gunpocalypse - Firearms Policy Foundation

FPC - Stop CA Politicians from Abusing Gun Rights (Donations made here are not tax deductible) https://www.firearmspolicy.org/blog/stop-ca-politicians-from-abusing-gun-rights/

DONATE, and SHARE LINKS WIDELY.

Thank you

Since Proposition 63 was passed this week, what next?

Link Removed

Of course, I see that the West Coast wants to secede from the Union so that would make all court challenges moot against a new sovereign nation. j/k

It all goes to court.

Since Proposition 63 was passed this week, what next?

Link Removed

Of course, I see that the West Coast wants to secede from the Union so that would make all court challenges moot against a new sovereign nation. j/k

Hi Reba,

As was recently announced in the news, CPRA, NRA, FPC / FPF, and a variety of other groups will soon be suing the State to overturn not just Prop 63 (which was passed as a result of voters' actions) but as well, to overturn the various anti-2A bills signed into law in July 2016.

They are confident that they have a clear path to victory due to a Trump election because even if there is a setback at a lower court level the US Supreme Court is now going to be an option.

Speaking to the issue of secession, that is impermissible and I have written an article on how we can make sure to fight secessionists and win. I've also sent my ideas on the subject to the Trump transition team.

I believe that FPC is needing another 70,000 dollars or so for its part / contribution to the team effort to make ready the legal fund to support these lawsuits. I have repeatedly donated to FPC and FPF. They can't always come up with big donors, so it you want to see the lawsuits happen to defeat these laws (and the regulations that Kamala Harris is about to release to implement the anti-2A laws), please donate. Places where you can go to donate are, for example, here or Link Removed.

Please don't hesitate to give up that cup of Starbucks or whatever your daily / weekly treat is. A small sacrifice to make, 10 dollars donation or more for your Second Amendment rights to be protected. Help out today if you are reading this.

For those following this thread, I have committed to launch a 42 USC 1983 action against the State in July, focusing primarily on AB 857 (2016), Prop 63, and some other things. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal anything further about the action or legal strategy as that would be inadvisable, but once it's filed the legal arguments will become more public. I am considering setting up a website for the effort in a month or month-and-a-half at most.

For those following this thread, I have committed to launch a 42 USC 1983 action against the State in July, focusing primarily on AB 857 (2016), Prop 63, and some other things. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal anything further about the action or legal strategy as that would be inadvisable, but once it's filed the legal arguments will become more public. I am considering setting up a website for the effort in a month or month-and-a-half at most.
Freethink,
You had posted links on funding support for these efforts in post #10 but both links are dead. Any updates on the funding for this good cause?

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed

Freethink,
You had posted links on funding support for these efforts in post #10 but both links are dead. Any updates on the funding for this good cause?

Hello,

Of the many organizations that I have consulted with, the one (that I referred to in the links I posted long ago that are now "dead links") that has been most interested in defending people's rights at least in California (and more recently, beyond California as well) has been the Firearms Policy Coalition (which has a nonprofit arm known as the FPF, which you can donate to and have your donation be tax-deductible). The FPF link (to donate to fight the various Gunpocalypse / Gunmageddon laws passed in 2016) is here. The FPF home and summary of work is here. The link to the FPC page is in my signature (see below).

There have been some debates in the past on this forum as to whether it is useful to donate to FPC/FPF, NRA, Calguns, etc. So, I guess, donate to whoever you think is best.

In my own personal preference, I've chosen not to be a member of the NRA, but I have always gone to the FNRA (Friends of the NRA) dinners which are a thing that involves me making a donation that is more than the prices of membership, once annually, for the local FNRA dinner. This year I was notified of another FNRA dinner and was notified of a Republican dinner in the works locally (each of which would have required me to fork out the big bucks as in past years), and I declined to go to both. I am still rather upset over what I refer to as the "Omnibus Betrayal" by both the NRA and the Republican Party in Congress, which caved to Feinsteinian Dems, in my humble opinion, on the matter of the Omnibus. The U.S. President, who I voted for, could have at least vetoed the omnibus as a method to press for changes in it, but he did not. I am not too pleased with that either. The NRA said it was backing concealed carry reciprocity, but it languishes, blocked by RINOS and Dems masquerading as Republicans, which is now basically the entire Republican Party in Congress with the exception of the Freedom Caucus. (As you can tell by now, it does not "please me" when a party that literally has the control of the House, Senate, and the Presidency squanders its opportunities by throwing a budget party for Dems.) So if you want to donate to the NRA, be my guest, but I will not. It is notable that the NRA and CRPA chose to challenge the regulations which would implement AB 857 (2016), but as of yet they have not considered it worth their effort to challenge the law (AB 857) itself which currently will make unregistered home-builds illegal as of July in California. Meanwhile the same legislature is attempting to pass a bill which would require registration of all gun parts (anything, lower, upper, any accessory basically) and any block of steel which would eventually become a gun part (such as a shovel), so as you can see I have my work cut out for me. The NRA is not going to help defeat the CA law prohibiting unregistered home-made firearms (from what I can tell from my inquiries) and the CRPA's response was lukewarm as well.

The FPC may (maybe - not sure yet) help me with my lawsuit, but we'll see. Work in progress. My legal effort is currently independent of any gun rights organizations. Believe me when I say since 2016 I have been in contact with every major gun rights organization on this subject and the responses I've gotten back have been minimal to "meh." Best possibility of funding is simply me doing it myself (with some help from my own legal counsel) and maybe the FPC will get on board - we'll see. I'm not going to ask for help from anyone but I will put up a website where people can see the case progress once it launches and where people can donate if they wish, but based on past interest in the subject when I've asked around, I expect to get maybe 100 bucks of donations out of people in this state for a case like this once I file it. I am not filing it to get money - I'm planning on filing the (42 USC 1983) action because I care.

Freethink,

Latest update -- meeting with FPC in around a week or so. So we'll see what comes of this. Hopefully powerhouses will get involved in this, which (usually) is -- at least from a fiscal point of view -- better for a lawsuit when someone is looking at how to legally challenge something like AB 857 (2016) and similar things.

However, something will be filed against it one way or the other in the courts, whether it's me doing it solo or with backing of groups such as FPC. There is just too much wrong with (the above and other laws as well still on the books unchallenged), so it's time. July will be an interesting month, in which I think California legislators and lawyers for the state will be forced to lower their expectations of what they can accomplish against us.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back