Preferred Carry Ammo?

I carry Hydrashoks loaded, but have a couple of mags of Glaser silvers ready to go. If cover is available and the situation calls for it, then I can replace the existing mag with one full of Glasers and only the first round is a Hydra.

a little paranoia don't hang me out to dry please

I bought some hornady Tap rounds for my Glock .40 and while they look cool and all pretty i went to do some dry practice and while i was clearing the gun to take it into the other room i kept feeling really paranoid that there was still a round in it because of the black casing. i know that you all might think i'm over reacting but it made me a little nervous i checked my gun like 3 or 4 times before i put an empty mag in to do my dry practice. It just made me a little nervous. not a big deal just something to think about. i feel alot more comfortable if on the visual check of the chamber and mag i see brass or no brass.

I always rack the slide several times, then visually check the chamber with the slide locked back. This way I'm certain that there's nothing in the chamber.

gf

Tap

I bought some hornady Tap rounds for my Glock .40 and while they look cool and all pretty i went to do some dry practice and while i was clearing the gun to take it into the other room i kept feeling really paranoid that there was still a round in it because of the black casing. i know that you all might think i'm over reacting but it made me a little nervous i checked my gun like 3 or 4 times before i put an empty mag in to do my dry practice. It just made me a little nervous. not a big deal just something to think about. i feel alot more comfortable if on the visual check of the chamber and mag i see brass or no brass.

I bought some 9mm Tap for my HK not to long back. I have run a few rounds thru my gun and so far o.k. but I have not tried it enough to be sure of it. I do know it is not cheap. I have recently seen some Starfire ammo at a real good price. I have carried it and shot it before with good results so may get some more.

i have read that if you ever have to defend a legal shooting in court that having ammo that is the same as your local law enforcment will be easier. the thought is if it's not to aggressive for the p.d. it's not for us either. that also goes for the amount your carrying as to avoid the "rambo" stereotyping.

I know the Hydrashok discussion happend in this thread a month ago but imo there are certainly better rounds to carry. If you are a Federal fan the HST line and their bonded line are excellent.

Winchester Ranger 230 Gr SXT in the 45
Federal Classic 180 Gr in the 10 mm
Federal Premium 165 GR Hydro- shok in the 40

opinions are like belly buttons.....everybody has one....but this is what I like the best..:). I hope this helps

To CCW Utah Instructors Comment: Thats a really good point. For pistols that have the peep hole you really could not see these bullets.

currently have remington golden saber 230 gr in my witness .45. in my 9mm I have some remington +p+ I got at the range I used to go to in utah when I lived there, was told it was left over secret service ammo when they made the change from 9mm to 40 sw. getting ready to buy a baby eagle .40. still trying to decide what to try in it for carry ammo. so many choices but don't have the money to test all of them to make sure they function well.. so trying to narrow the choices down.

My .02c

.32 auto- Winchester silver tip 60.gr hp (arguably the best for this cal.)
9mm - Winchester Ranger STX +P+ 127.gr (LE Only Isn't enforced by law)
.45 auto-any new hp works but I use Speer Gold Dot 230.gr hp
Just use whats accurate in your application
Larger .gr for long barrels Smaller .gr for short

carry ammo

i currently carry speer gold dot and remington golden saber +p and i do find them both to be very good and reliable

Carry Ammo .45

The Federal HST ammo is great. I keep in loaded in my kimber ultra carry. I have one mag of that, and one mag of Winchester Ranger Bonded Ammo. The bonded ammo is made for barriers, you never know when you may need it. both 230 GR and both shoot great. Check out this site, you cant go wrong.

Link Removed

hope this helps. by the way, if you order from here-you will not be dissapointed. service is great!

I have been using Hornady Tap 230gr for my 45acp and 124gr for 9mm happy with both as far as accuracy goes and have seen some favorable test as far as penatration and expansion, seems to penatrate a little farther than most but expand a little less.

Was carrying Speer Gold Dots in the .357 (158gr). Currently with the Ruger P89 I'm carrying Remington 115gr JHP. That will change to Gold Dots once I can get to the range and verify functioning. I'm thinking of doing all Gold Dots and the last round Buffalo Bore +P+ as a signal the mag is empty.

Interesting...when I quoted someone in an entirely different thread...it disappears and posts on this thread...android bug...?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back