Preferred Carry Ammo?

Winchester Ranger "T" ,the new and improved stuff (5th gen). Federal HST is my next choice, if I didn't have cases of "T". HST replaced hydra-shok.

+1 On the Ranger T

spc :)

Media hype/demonizing as "cop killer" bullets. No truth to it.

Effective JHP design that got bad rap because of name.

Winchester still makes them, but they are now called SXT and are no longer black.

Sounds like the same media rumours I also heard.

What REALLY is the difference ?

I know everybody has a preference on thier ammo that they carry with. The purpose of this question is not to get into a "my daddy can beat up your daddy !" arguement. The purpose of my question is to try and find out why people carry what they do. I understand that every company has done extensive testing with thier ammunition. I, for one have no means of testing my ammo, unless I tape a few phone books together, and fire different rounds into the bundle, and see what they look like in the end. I do not know how accurate that would be compared to the medium that the companies use. I also do not have the funds to purchase multiple varieties of ammunition to test fire them through my pistol, and see which one I prefer.

I do not know if it is the correct train of thought, but if it is a quality self-defense ammunition, and I can fire a test mag through the pistol, keeping a formidable grouping, is that acceptable? I have used Hyrda-Shok, Winchester Personal Defense (wwb), and Speer in the past, mainly d/t what was available at the store at the time of purchase. They all seemed to shoot fine w/ me. After the dealing I had with the people at Speer, I think I shall stay with them until they prove otherwise.

I am thankful that noone here in these forums has been in a situation needing the use of thier weapons, but have always wondered what thier justification was in choosing.

It seems that all companies say that thiers is "the best" available for whatever reasons they claim. And, I believe that they all have thier strongpoints. But in the end, if it performs well for them (expansion, penetration ), does it REALLY matter to us? That is, unless some weapons are just more finniky than others. I know from experience that my S&W utterly HATED the CCI Blazers - the aluminum jammed it, but it would fire most others. I have not had the experience to fire as many rounds through my Glock, but am told, and have read that this beast will take just about anything I shove into it.

In closing, I would like to thank you all for your patience. Your patience in my "newbie" questions, and patience for taking the time reading through my lengthy questions. Maybe Luke should move this into another section, and that is fine w/ me if he does. I just thought this post was appropriate.

So, in short - "Premium is premium, is premium ?" Premium = dead bg ..... cheap/reload = target

Respectfully, mot

Last edited:
It's true that to a certain extent, the configuration and quality of a cartridge is moot as long as the person using it is confident that it will at least function in their weapon, and they can precisely hit a vital spot.

The reason for premium ammo is simply to enhance the afore-stated reliable function, and to produce a great enough effect upon impact that less-than-precise shot placement is slightly mitigated. There is a progression of diminishing returns on cost vs. projectile technology, but it has been studied to death, and the folks who depend on their weapons for a living, and can, do use premium ammo.

I am thankful that noone here in these forums has been in a situation needing the use of thier weapons, but have always wondered what thier justification was in choosing.

I've been in two "Armed Encounters". I choose my "personal" ammo based on writings by Evan Marshall, Massad Ayoob and what I can get my local "gun pusher" to order.

I really like the Corbon stuff for a lot of calibers, but I've liked Corbon for years. By the way, I'm an LEO and was referring to my personal ammo for my personal guns.

Biker

I think that, from what I've read, bullet placement is a whole lot more important than bullet style. It's glib to say, but think about Bobby Kennedy: killed by a single .22 round to the head. Cheap little, probably non-expanding bullet to the exact right spot. Find something that makes you feel good, that works great in your sidearm, and that shoots exactly to point of aim, consistently, and go with it.

Last edited:
I cary a Thunder 360. I asked at the gun range what would be a good cary ammo. I was told that the differentce is one shot or three. Does that make any since???:confused:

I am one of those people that feel any hollow point ammo that functions well in your gun is fine. I have my 40's loaded with Speer gold dot. I have my 45 loaded with Remington UMC hollowpoints. I have personally never had any issue with any of the ammo I carry. I have seen online home studies of the Remington UMC and it expanded very nicely. I am sure there is some advantage in the expansion of defense ammo, but I personally just don't think it is significant. I have no proof to any of this, it is just my opinion. Please don't string me up :)

Youall look up box of truths .I posted the url here someplace. All of our points are correct but the amount of clothing might hinder hollow points . Answer double tap same hole.

Corbon PowRball. Best of both worlds. Round nose for those that may have feeding issues, round nose for initial penetration, (through clothing), then expanding the hollowpoint for energy dumping/wound channel.

Corbon PowRball. Best of both worlds. Round nose for those that may have feeding issues, round nose for initial penetration, (through clothing), then expanding the hollowpoint for energy dumping/wound channel.

I had a lenghthy conversation w/ one of the cops I work w/ last nite. We never get to see each other, so it was a pleasant, long overdue ( too short ) chat.

From what he said, a lot of the reading on the Corbon +P was that the way it was designed, gave it about 30 fps more than the others, but after the penetration, the energy transfer stayed in the body, thus giving it something like only a 2% survival rate.

As far as the clothing penetration issue goes. I was reading that was the reason places like the Alaska officers were choosing the 10mm. Because it had too much penetration. So, w/ all that thick layering they wear up there, there wasn't an issue w/ over penetration anymore.

( does that meanI get to justify to my wife that I NEED to buy a 10mm to carry for the winter months? :eek: ... JOY !!!! another gun !!! :D lol )

carry loads

I carry winchester SXT in my kimber .45. For me, they seem to shoot the best. In my beretta couger .45 i carry 185 taurus barnes expanders. LOVE THEM! they shoot outstanding and expansion is remarkable. My glock 32-.357 sig i carry speer gold dots 125 grain.

carry ammo

currently using Hydra Shok in my .40 and .380. Using DPX in the .38 and that s--t is great! when i have a few hundred dollars(!) lying around i will go to DPX in all of my handguns.....my $.02

Here's a link to an article written by Massad Ayoob:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob79.html

I had a bad experience with low expansion when the Federal Hydra-Shock ammo first came out. Several LEO sources cautioned me about the performance of the "first generation" rounds. It seems that the initial production of the Hydra-Shock ammunition would not properly expand if the aggressor is wearing heavy clothing. I live in Hawaii where folks rarely wear thick clothing, but I do travel around the U.S. and have done some international assignments where I was required to be armed. We have had a few cases where a BG would wear either soft body armor or a Vietnam era military flack jacket. A friend suggested I try the Speer Gold Dot or Federal Premium EFMJ rounds. I'm a fan of the 165gr .40 s&w round, so I got a box of each in my preferred load. This is what I carry and what I train with.

gf

justifying DPX

I currently carry Hydra Shok (sp?) 'cuz that's what local and I think state police are using here in CT. If in a justified shooting and I get prosecuted by some zealous anti-2A prosecutor for using Hydra Shok (this particular brand has been attacked several times by anti-gun DAs) then I think a convincing argument to the jury would be; "good enough for the police is good enough for me." However, here in Connecticut and in other cold weather climates where people tend to wear thicker clothes and more layers, heavy clothing and especially leather have been known to clog hollowpoints and retard expansion. Extensive testing with Cor-Bon's DPX through four layers of denim into ballistic gelatin reveal exellent expansion (Hydra Shok was clogged! and fired diameter was still .40) Costly but I will make the switch. -my $.02

Core-Bon is an excellent choice in ammunition. My contacts with local law enforcement encourage me to use this as my primary choice in ammunition. Their feedback along with what I've read in many of the various firearms publications (LEO and civilian) is that it does very well under various conditions. The one factor preventing me from using it is cost. I like to practice shooting with the load I carry. Being that I'm not able to spend the $30/box of 20 for "practice" ammunition, I use the same ammunition that local law enforcement uses. They use either the Speer Gold Dot or Federal Premium EFMJ rounds. Both of them are moderately priced ($20 for a box of 50) and as with the argument of "echo_5" regarding "What's good enough for LEO...." I think it's a safe bet. My understanding is that the brand the LEO get depends on the current competitive bid. They provide a list of specs to the local gun shops and based on the performance requirements, the various shops submit their bid. I'm partial to the Speer Gold Dot. I like the shape of the bullet and it seems like I group better with the Speer ammunition.

gf

Concealed Carry Ammo

I have tested approximately a dozen types of ammo at night which is the most probable time one would use a weapon for self defense. I tested muzzle flash and these five brands were the best during testing. They had very good accuracy and very low muzzle flash.

Remington Golden Sabre
Hornady XTP
Winchester SXT
PMC El Dorado Starfire
Hornady TAP

Any of these work very well at night.

During penetration and expansion tests.. the Remington Golden Sabre had remarkable penetration and expansion using the JHP shell. This was surprisingly one of my favorites.

The Corbon DPX did had the lowest penetration but is razor sharp so this may work very well in close encounters as well.

The Hornady TAP is very smooth so I certainly think it could help with jamming.

This is my opinion so try them for yourself.

Hope this helps.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back