Preferred Carry Ammo?

My ammo choices in my Off-Duty guns depend on what gun(s) I'm carrying.

9mm: Corbon 115 grain +P DPX JHP
38 Special: Corbon 110 grain +P DPX JHP
38 Special: Remington 125 grain +P SJHP
357 Mag: Remington 125 grain SJHP ("full house load")
45 Colt: Don't ask, it's a black powder load :D
44 Mag: 305 grain (Packs a wallop)
45 ACP: Corbon 185 grain +P (Non-DPX)

The 45 ACP is a Revolver. As you may be able to tell, I prefer the wheelgun when I'm not at work. :D I shoot my carry ammo pretty consistantly, but admit to using the Winchester "White Box" ammo from WalMart at the indoor range. They don't like my handloads. ;) . Actually, they don't like anybodies reloads, but are more than willing to sell you a box of "over priced" ammo if you didn't bring your own factory ammo.

Biker
There ain't nothing wrong with WWB ammo, especially the Personal protection rnds............ I have tested that stuff and found that it performs just as good, or better, as many of the exotic brands of ammo.

Right now I'm using Federal American Eagle FMJ at the range, and Federal Hydra Shok JHP for carry. I'll probably be changing to Fiocchi for FMJ and JHP soon. It's great ammo at reasonable price. The best price for it is online, but you have to buy a large quantity to reduce the shipping cost. So when I need more ammo, that's what I buying.

I currently carry Winchester Ranger Talon (LEO) ammo in my .40's (180gr in Sig & 165gr in G27) or the Hornady TAP 165gr. I have found the Winchester Ranger Talon ammo at www.ammunitiontogo.com It's not cheap but you can't put a price on protection either.

My S&W M&P 9 Compact seems to prefer Federal HydraShok 115 gr JHP.

The Sig P226 will "eat up" Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP just fine.

Fed Hydra-Shock 230gr.....Shoots great in my Kimber 5"
I am thinking of looking for sompthing that has a little less recoil for my
PT-145.....Any suggestions??

For the last 15 years or so I have carried El Dorado starfire. I bought some Hornady TAPS a couple weeks back to try. I may start using it.

Bullet place and which ever mang. make your gun run best. FED.sil tips ,cor bon , careful with hand roled bullets in ccw weapon!

What I carry

Black Talon on both 9mm & .45's.

It's still available here in Colorado - primarily at gun shows. When I was a reserve officer in my small town, it's what we carried. The department still carries it.

what was the controversy on the black talons? I have heard of a few "opinions", but not facts. Anyone have any truthfull info on them. They seemed good years ago, then got dropped.

what was the controversy on the black talons? I have heard of a few "opinions", but not facts. Anyone have any truthfull info on them. They seemed good years ago, then got dropped.

Media hype/demonizing as "cop killer" bullets. No truth to it.

Effective JHP design that got bad rap because of name.

Winchester still makes them, but they are now called SXT and are no longer black.

Winchester Ranger "T" ,the new and improved stuff (5th gen). Federal HST is my next choice, if I didn't have cases of "T". HST replaced hydra-shok.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back