Preferred 9mm defensive bullet weight?

waddy

I have exhausted my limited "Search" abilities and haven't been able to find an answer. Knowing full well that if you ask 5 gun people a question you will most likely get 7 different opinions, I would like to see if there is any kind of a general consensus on whether most folks prefer a 115gr bullet or the 124/125gr bullets for self defense work. I have always used a .45 but I'm going to give the 9mm a good honest try as well, and I would like to know what most folks prefer in bullet weight before I buy a big quantity of them. Thanks!

Link Removed

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"

I like the 147gr loads myself.

Guard dogs

Recently had a thread on here that had all the testing stats into a gel body it was very informative. It had the Gaurd Dog ammo leading the one shot stop charts. Wish I had time to look for a link for you but it was a couple weeks ago. Goodluck

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I didn't expect the following for the 147's as I had read a rather forceful statement "somewhere" that the 147 gr load was underpowered in the 9mm. Obviously, that statement was in error, judging from all the responses favoring the 147 gr bullet. I had been leaning toward the 115 Hydroshok, but it looks like I may be re-evaluating for awhile. I would love to hear more responses and especially references to any terminal balistics reports for the 3 basic weight bullets. Hyundailarry, I will do some searching and see if I can find the thread you referenced on the Guard Dog ammo you referenced. I actually have never heard of Guard Dog ammo. Thanks again

Recently had a thread on here that had all the testing stats into a gel body it was very informative. It had the Gaurd Dog ammo leading the one shot stop charts. Wish I had time to look for a link for you but it was a couple weeks ago. Goodluck

One shot stops are the result of proper bullet placement, not the use of a specific ammunition. Guard Dog is the latest evolution of federal's EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) ammunition.

Link Removed

Link Removed

In all my thrashing about the Internet gathering all information I can, I came upon the following site referencing and article from AR15.com that is pretty interesting:

Link Removed

LGB, thanks for the link to LE Wound Balistics. Bookmarked it but haven't yet had a chance to puruse it yet.

This is yet another of those subjects where "the more I learn, the less I know". Of course I anticipated this, but it has been fun and hopefully informative for all following this thread.

Any of the 124gr-147gr premium loads are GTG. I would carry the 124gr +P or 147gr version of the Gold Dot, HST, Ranger-T, Ranger Bonded or Golden Saber/GS Bonded with no worries at all.

The only 115gr loading that I'd carry anymore is the DPX. Almost all of the other 115gr loads on the market have issues with underpenetration or failing to expand in heavy clothing.

Back in the day there were some issues with some of the original 147gr loads, those days are long past. The premium 147gr 9mm loadings are some of the very best self defense ammo you can buy.

NYPD and Las Vegas Metro PD have been getting excellent results with the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. My personal favorite is the Winchester 127 grain +P+ T series. The 147 grain used by LASO and San Diego PD have performed well. If I were to use the 147 grain, I would use the +P Federal HST. The 9mm when loaded with +P or +P+ are good for self defense.

Great, informative replies, with experience to back it up! Now it looks like the best thing to do is get a few of the 124's and 147's and see which one my G19 and I prefer. I still welcome any additional thoughts and experience.

If I had to pick one? 147gr +P, but we all should know bullet weight is not the deciding factor... is it?

Bullet weight is meaningless taken out of context of how a given loading performs ballistically.

There is only one legit 147gr +P on the market, the Federal HST loading, and it happens to be a very good load.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back