Precision Addict

Hi,
Can any of you precision guys explain MOA so a guy like me can understand it? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Charles

A unit of angular measurement equal to ( 1/60) of one degree. Since one degree is defined as one three hundread sixtieth (1/360) of a minute, 1 minute of arc is 1/21,600 of the amount of arc in a closed circle. Now that everybody's head exploded let me explain it this way.

When you are sitting at the shooting bench think of yourself sitting in the center of a 100 yard circle. From the end of the muzzle to to the X on the target is 100 yards. 1 inch at 100 yards is 1/60 of one degree, or 1 MOA. So if the bullet strike is within 1 inch of the center of the X you are within one MOA.

Charles,
MOA is Minute of Angle. A circle is divided into degrees. Degrees are divided into minutes. So 1MOA is a fraction of a degree. At 100 yards, 1MOA is just barely ( I think 3 decimal places) larger than one inch, so when someone talks about 1MOA accuracy, they mean that at 100 yards the weapon will put the rounds within an inch. You may also hear of rifles with 0.5 MOA which is a half inch group at 100 yards. Red dot or holographic scopes may be listed as having a 3 MOA reticle or dot. This refers to the area on the target that the dot covers at 100 yards.

Well, RDW its official! I think I'm an addict also. HEEEEEEEEEEEELP. lol. I've shot and been around guns almost my whole life but a week and a half ago I took the plunge. I picked up my first precision rifle. I made it to the 200m range this weekend and had sooooo much fun. Now I'm just waiting for my dies to come in.

Kimber, congrats on the new stick. I saw the pics on the other post and have been meaning to say something about my new case of gun envie...LOl. Let us know what she likes to shoot after you work up the load.

Thankyou all. It is much clearer, this MOA . Question-- Then why, if a certain scope is advertised for sale at 2 MOA or 4 MOA would anyone want the 4MOA scope?

Kimber, congrats on the new stick. I saw the pics on the other post and have been meaning to say something about my new case of gun envie...LOl. Let us know what she likes to shoot after you work up the load.

Thanks RDW I'm sure there will be more pictures posted once I get a good load and some more practice. On a good note I just checked my order and my dies are waiting for me at home! I think I'm feeling sick and may have to leave work early. lol.

Now if I can just find someone that has a .308 case lenght guage in stock!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back