pre-background check, possible?

Cotillion

From what I understand each background check lasts 30 days, is it possible to pay for your background check and get it started BEFORE your purchase? I know lots of people get stuck waiting and since I have a common name I'm gonna assume ill be one of them, I'm just curious to see if anyone has done this or if its possible

Forgot to mention I'm planning on purchasing on the 30th which is the reason why I ask. Saving for the past 3 months then having to wait another possible time frame sounds depressing haha! Especially being so impatient :)

Not sure where you are or why it would be different, but in TN unless there is some problem in your history usually doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes for the check.

Yeah its Oregon, I have an uncle who's an avid gun collecting hick and he told me he gets a hold every time he purchases a firearm because of his common name, up to a month sometimes. I also have a common name, I even have to wait at western union because of it

If you are purchasing from an FFL, they will do your background check as soon as you indicate you are interested in purchasing a specific firearm. They should not charge you for this. Yes, you can initiate the check and return within 30 days. They will have to re-check your ID, and you will have to sign section C of the form 4473. The instant NICS check takes only a few minutes, and will return with a proceed, deny, or delay. A delay can only be as long as three business days. There may be additional waiting periods imposed by your county or state.

Yeah its Oregon, I have an uncle who's an avid gun collecting hick and he told me he gets a hold every time he purchases a firearm because of his common name, up to a month sometimes. I also have a common name, I even have to wait at western union because of it

Interesting since NICS only has three business days, IF there is a delay, to deny the sale, otherwise the sale may proceed. Either your uncle is jerking your chain, or someone is jerking your uncle's chain.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1998/11/111098-openletter-ffl-oregon-brady-law.html

Contact NICS through either the FBI or the Oregon State Police. You will get a response from the system advising you whether to proceed with the sale or to delay or deny the transaction. If you get a “delayed” response and there is no additional response from the system, you may transfer the firearm after three business days have elapsed. Of course, you must still comply with any waiting periods under State law.

Weird, thanks for all the info, that's why I ask! 3 day hold is nothing I'm not sure why he said he's had such long delays. He said he's been forced to pawn them on occasion and even picking up his own guns he had to wait.

When I wasn't a citizen yet, it used to take me 48 hours here in Missouri to be able to purchase a gun, most of the time, lesser. On two occasions, as soon as we reached home, we got message in our answering machine that my background check had gone through. Now that I am a citizen, it only take about 5 minutes or less for the bc.

If you have a TX CHL there is no check and no wait - you still fill out the form though.

If you have a TX CHL there is no check and no wait - you still fill out the form though.

That is correct. In Link Removed, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from the federal point-of-purchase NICS check.

Link Removed

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A), individuals who have handgun purchase permits or concealed weapon permits are exempt from having to undergo a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System before purchasing or receiving a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer if the issuing state follows specific background check procedures to verify that the person is not prohibited by law from possessing firearms.

I would encourage everyone whose state does not qualify for this background check exemption to contact your local RKBA organizations and pro-gun state legislators and make them aware of this issue and your desire to enact the necessary legislation to qualify your state for addition to Link Removed. Of the 20 listed states, 4 of them (Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, and Washington) were added just this year.

That is correct. In Link Removed, concealed handgun license holders are exempt from the federal point-of-purchase NICS check.

Link Removed

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)(A), individuals who have handgun purchase permits or concealed weapon permits are exempt from having to undergo a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System before purchasing or receiving a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer if the issuing state follows specific background check procedures to verify that the person is not prohibited by law from possessing firearms.

I would encourage everyone whose state does not qualify for this background check exemption to contact your local RKBA organizations and pro-gun state legislators and make them aware of this issue and your desire to enact the necessary legislation to qualify your state for addition to Link Removed. Of the 20 listed states, 4 of them (Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, and Washington) were added just this year.

Nevada should have a big asterisk on it since the only people who are exempt from the check (which is a minimum $25 fee) are people who got their CFP after July 1, 2011. If you received your permit on June 30, 2011 or before you still have to pay to get the background check until you renew your permit which could be in another five years. Ridiculous.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back