practice distance for beginner

The least expensive thing you can do is hire somebody to teach you to shoot. I'm not talking run and gun but to give you strong basic marksmanship and safe firearms handling instructions.

This was my first post on USA Carry way back when...Thank You everybody for your responses. I am happy to say that my shooting has improved a lot since then, and I have gained some very good info. about shooting, carrying, practicing, and safe handling of my firearm. It is a privilege to be a member here, Thank You again!

I usually practice at around 12, 21, and 30 feet. I try to practice moving while shooting too, especially backing up while shooting. If someone is coming at me, I want to be able to put a few steps between me and him while I am drawing. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I usually practice at around 12, 21, and 30 feet. I try to practice moving while shooting too, especially backing up while shooting. If someone is coming at me, I want to be able to put a few steps between me and him while I am drawing. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Just a hint... Try practicing shooting while backing-up on an angle if possible, 3-10 feet from a target, now draw while move oblique off target. Moving backwards directly from the bad guy makes you more of a stationary target than moving oblique off target, also you'll have less of a chance of falling down backwards due to foot control, momentum will cause your body weight to overcome your feet action.

If you want a backwards retreat with the ability to shoot, practice facing away from your target, start walking and twist your body while shooting at your target and your feet are stepping facing away from your target and your shooting arm/head (one hand shooting) is facing your rear returning fire.

Remember... if your an expose target, your chance of survival is to put as many rounds (rapid fire) as possible towards the bad guy. Its very hard to shoot and/or aim at someone who's shooting at you with rapid fire, their instinct is to get out of there/cover.

Sometimes you may hear of a Officer returning fire with 8,10, or 15 rounds, if he/she is expose their chance of survival is becoming less of a target by returning rapid fire at the bad guy, and not allowing the bad guy to return fire, or at least without any type of precision.

Shooting while moving is great, just be careful of Back-peddling too great of distance, either move oblique, or runaway while twisting the body/head returning fire with one arm, pointing and shooting. Just an idea

I just don't recommend back-peddling to much... JMO

Just a hint... Try practicing shooting while backing-up on an angle if possible, 3-10 feet from a target, now draw while move oblique off target. Moving backwards directly from the bad guy makes you more of a stationary target than moving oblique off target, also you'll have less of a chance of falling down backwards due to foot control, momentum will cause your body weight to overcome your feet action.

If you want a backwards retreat with the ability to shoot, practice facing away from your target, start walking and twist your body while shooting at your target and your feet are stepping facing away from your target and your shooting arm/head (one hand shooting) is facing your rear returning fire.

Remember... if your an expose target, your chance of survival is to put as many rounds (rapid fire) as possible towards the bad guy. Its very hard to shoot and/or aim at someone who's shooting at you with rapid fire, their instinct is to get out of there/cover.

Sometimes you may hear of a Officer returning fire with 8,10, or 15 rounds, if he/she is expose their chance of survival is becoming less of a target by returning rapid fire at the bad guy, and not allowing the bad guy to return fire, or at least without any type of precision.

Shooting while moving is great, just be careful of Back-peddling too great of distance, either move oblique, or runaway while twisting the body/head returning fire with one arm, pointing and shooting. Just an idea

I just don't recommend back-peddling to much... JMO

You are right. It, unfortunatly, seems to be instinct just to back up. I need to pick up a .22 pistol to practice with. Even though 9mm is fairly inexpensive, it is still way more expensive than .22 LR. Then maybe I can work on moving to the side, at an angle, while keeping the pistol trained toward the threat and doing some shooting while doing the moving. I think this takes time and some real live firing to get to be good enough to save ones skin when the balloon goes up. Thanks for the advise just the same.

Remember SAFETY... render your weapon safe and practice the coordination of your feet and body movement. With you weapon render SAFE, stand in front of a target, now practice scenarios of retreat, shooting and/or hitting a target is not important at this point, body and feet movement is, and remember start small, don't set yourself up for FAILURE.

Practice enough to where your movement becomes instinct, and you'll find back peddling becomes unnatural. Good Luck

JJ had a great point as did others that mentioned practice for PURPOSE.

Did you get your CCW so you could be an "all star target shooter" at the range and have a shiny reminder at your side?

Or did you get it so that you can protect yourself and family from a personal attack when your life is on the line?

I'm happy to see you get your CCW and now its time to figure out the PURPOSE and reason you got it in the first place :):):)

If its self defense lets worry more about what a bad guy is capable of from 5-20 feet away...even at 20 feet away you are now likely having to use some form of UNARMED self defense (which I teach my students) to even have a chance at drawing your firearm.

Drawing at the wrong time can get you killed.

Can you get stabbed, sliced or shot once a BG is in your face...yep but your will to win will circumvent those facts as your job is stop the threat.

Attack the "real weapon" of your assailant and I will give you a hint...its not the one in their hand.

Once the weapon is disabled all "tools" are nullified as a gun/knife/bat on the ground won't hurt you...a crazy bad guy with a brain can!

Best regards.

J.

I know this is an old thread but I must put in my 2 cent's worth. It is like playing baseball LOOK at what you want to shoot and point your hand at it and pull the trigger. Your hands will follow your eyes and at combat range you don't need sights you need instinct. Try it at close range 1 or 2 yards and get comfortable with it then back up untill you can hit out to 7 and even 15 or 20 yards with the time and practice it will work.
Bill

Like Adatiowa said, anything within 21 feet is a hard shot to pull off if BG coming at you. I pratice moving while shooting, it helps expand the distance. but you need to learn how to defend yourself to give you more time to unholster your gun. PRACTICE alot>>>>>

All the tactical training in the world isn't worth anything if you can't get the gun sitting in your hand the same way every time and you can't pull the trigger without jerking, flinching, milking or generally screwing it up. Face it, most misses are operator error not ammunition, gun or equipment related. The initial post states clearly that he was a novice that was just starting out shooting pistols. That's why I suggested (in detail) that he master the basics of grip and trigger press (as verified by a big paper target up close initially and then farther away as progress is made) before he tried shooting rapid fire, multiple targets, instinctive shooting or shooting on the move. Toting a gun when you can't shoot straight makes as much sense to me as buying a Ferrari when you can't drive a stick. Yeah, it looks cool but what are you gonna do with it? You learn to crawl, then stand, then walk, then run. Shooting is the same way. You have to learn to hold the gun and pull the trigger in a consistent manner before you start shooting at speed or without using sights if you want to do more than spray and pray. You can't run a marathon if you don't know how to stand up yet and you can't expect any sort of success running and gunning (whether it is competition or gun fighting) if you don't have the fundamentals of shooting down pat. It isn't about 'fighting like you train' because he hadn't advanced to the 'training' part yet. Misses don't do anything but make noise and endanger innocent bystanders in a self defense situation. Hits are all that count. If you hit first and make it count by hitting where you need to, you win. If you miss, you lose.

All the tactical training in the world isn't worth anything if you can't get the gun sitting in your hand the same way every time and you can't pull the trigger without jerking, flinching, milking or generally screwing it up. Face it, most misses are operator error not ammunition, gun or equipment related. The initial post states clearly that he was a novice that was just starting out shooting pistols. That's why I suggested (in detail) that he master the basics of grip and trigger press (as verified by a big paper target up close initially and then farther away as progress is made) before he tried shooting rapid fire, multiple targets, instinctive shooting or shooting on the move. Toting a gun when you can't shoot straight makes as much sense to me as buying a Ferrari when you can't drive a stick. Yeah, it looks cool but what are you gonna do with it? You learn to crawl, then stand, then walk, then run. Shooting is the same way. You have to learn to hold the gun and pull the trigger in a consistent manner before you start shooting at speed or without using sights if you want to do more than spray and pray. You can't run a marathon if you don't know how to stand up yet and you can't expect any sort of success running and gunning (whether it is competition or gun fighting) if you don't have the fundamentals of shooting down pat. It isn't about 'fighting like you train' because he hadn't advanced to the 'training' part yet. Misses don't do anything but make noise and endanger innocent bystanders in a self defense situation. Hits are all that count. If you hit first and make it count by hitting where you need to, you win. If you miss, you lose.

+1 - Qualify to get your license. (I saw the original thread started in NY) However many states have some similar avenues for success. In MO (CCW1) then practice to get to a point you can hit your target. Slow is accurate, accurate is fast, =Slow is fast!. (Paying for a lesson from a professional is not a wennie thing to do.) Work 5 feet, 10 out to 20 ft. Then consider CCW2 - Call it beginners training. - Practice more. Then move to some other training. IDPA is a huge amount of fun and you can learn some very good skills.

Don Lahay

I recently got my ccw permit and I am new to pistol shooting. What is a good distance to start off for practice target shooting. I shot my new G19 over the weekend and was less than impressed with my skills :no:. Let me add that my target was about 50 feet away, 10" in dia...too far?

I would suggest starting @ 10', But Remember, Focus on the "Front Sight" of your preferred Handgun....!!!
Alot of people Don't Focus on the Front Sight & Don't get a good enough "Sight Picture"....!!! Also, as someone previously pointed out, Make sure you Always "Squeeze the Trigger, Especially on any Glocks, as they have the so called "Dbl. Trigger"....!
And don't squeeze too tightly on your Grip when you're Shooting.
Try these few tips & I'll bet you will be Impressed with the results. ...!!
And, as always, try to make your time @ the Range, enjoyable. ..!! Make some Games out of it, once your getting good "Groupings @ your starting distance, then move back about 3 yrds.@ a time, until you get your profeciecy better....!!!!
Happy Target Shooting. ......

I agree with most everything I have read. In addition. I track a few videos where an average joe uses his CCW to protect himself. Not Brazilians. Not off duty police officers. Just John Q. Public. To my surprise a little the data shows me that 100% of the ones I have tracked. The good guy has only used only one hand to shoot. He was moving as well as the bad guy. And not once used his sites. So I practice that way now. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

If you can’t hit a sheet of paper with a g19 @100y you’re screwed

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back