post office carry

PackingPastor

Is this valid now across the country?
http://m.news4jax.com/nationalnews/Judge-Guns-OK-in-post-office-parking-lots/-/16626544/20945844/-/hqkivpz/-/index.html

Is this valid now across the country?
Link Removed

The ruling is only valid "to permit Tab Bonidy to use the public parking lot adjacent to the Avon Post Office Building with a firearm
authorized by his Concealed Carry Permit secured in his car
in a reasonably prescribed manner."

Seems to only apply to one person and one parking lot to me. The media is exaggerating the ruling in order to stir the anti-gun groups into strongly responding.

Link Removed

The ruling does not strike down the firearms ban in Post Office Parking lots. In fact, the ruling says:
"FURTHER ORDERED, that the other claims of unconstitutionality of 39 C.F.R. §232.1(l) made by Plaintiffs are denied."

What the ruling ordered was very specific and limited only to the plaintiff and only to the single parking lot in question:
"ORDERED, that the Defendants take such action as is necessary to permit Tab
Bonidy
to use the public parking lot adjacent to the Avon Post Office Building with a firearm
authorized by his Concealed Carry Permit secured in his car
in a reasonably prescribed
manner"

Notice the ruling is limited to one specific individual and one specific parking lot. Does the court order improve our chances of future wins? It most certainly does. HOWEVER, the court order does nothing to negate the prohibition for any other person at any other location, it merely provides a precedent for the next person to sue the Post Office and win.

I did like this in the ruling, very much:
"In sum, openly carrying a firearm outside the home is a liberty protected by the
Second Amendment."

Just how exactly does one, other than the owner of the vehicle, tell that there is a gun in the vehicle? Other than having the gun in plain sight, which would be idiotic.

Want to see postal employees in some post offices go nuts? Walk in with with a firearm to ship and a Form 1508. Every trip is something different and the last one took the cake. PO wanted the box to have a 1508 visible in a packet outside the box. In clear violation of USPS rules.

Just how exactly does one, other than the owner of the vehicle, tell that there is a gun in the vehicle? Other than having the gun in plain sight, which would be idiotic.
I live ia a rural area. On the rare occasion I have to go to the Post Office I park across the street. dis-arm, walk to the Post Office to do my business, then walk back to my vehicle.
If I were to see someone else doing what I do, I would pretty much assume there was a weapon in that vehicle.
The only other choice would be to leave the house un-armed. I refuse to do that.

My local Post Offfice is next door to a Wendys. I park in the hamburger joints lot and walk a few feet into the P.O. Shows how asinine and hapless this law is. It solves nothing and protects no one. On the contrary.

Also, it's making me gain weight as I can't resist getting a double cheeseburger on the way back. :rolleyes:

Some of the fine print will depend on whether the Post Office is a "federal building" or a leased facility. Federal building regs apply to the entire location. My building was leased and only included 10' surrounding the outer wall. Just a personal opinion but, if you don't make a big show of the firearm in the parking lot, it's unlikely a security officer will know there's one in your vehicle.
My position was unique in that I was a Postmaster with an FFL. Therefore, I shipped quite a few firearms and knew the regs quite well. I thought nothing of a person walking in with a firearm in plain sight-just assumed they intended to ship it. I did eject a lippy cop who thought his St. Louis badge allowed him to do as he wished anywhere.

My local Post Offfice is next door to a Wendys. I park in the hamburger joints lot and walk a few feet into the P.O. Shows how asinine and hapless this law is. It solves nothing and protects no one. On the contrary.

Also, it's making me gain weight as I can't resist getting a double cheeseburger on the way back. :rolleyes:

Michelle Obama may be able to get behind you on this issue. She's all about good nutrition and lowering the weight of people in this country. Just show her how this reprehensible law is encouraging weight gain, and she'll stamp it out. :biggrin:

Some of the fine print will depend on whether the Post Office is a "federal building" or a leased facility. Federal building regs apply to the entire location. My building was leased and only included 10' surrounding the outer wall. Just a personal opinion but, if you don't make a big show of the firearm in the parking lot, it's unlikely a security officer will know there's one in your vehicle.
My position was unique in that I was a Postmaster with an FFL. Therefore, I shipped quite a few firearms and knew the regs quite well. I thought nothing of a person walking in with a firearm in plain sight-just assumed they intended to ship it. I did eject a lippy cop who thought his St. Louis badge allowed him to do as he wished anywhere.

if it a leased location then only the interior of that PO is off limits

Why bother obeying clearly (to everyone with half a brain, which excludes most liberals and all politicians) UnConstitutional "laws" at all? What are you afraid of? Getting caught? Keep it concealed.... How would "they" know you had anything their "rules" unlawfully prohibit?

*cue the bashing and belittling and name calling*

I is against Federal Law to carry a gun in a Post Ofice or any Federal Building. It's up to you to take the risk. But, you know the anti-gunners in the gobermint would have a picnic with you if caught.

Federal building regs apply to the entire location.

Incorrect. The "Federal building regs" apply only to the building. 18 USC 930:

"(g) As used in this section: (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

In addition, 18 USC 930 requires signs to be posted at the entrance to the "federal facility":

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be."

I is against Federal Law to carry a gun in a Post Ofice or any Federal Building. It's up to you to take the risk. But, you know the anti-gunners in the gobermint would have a picnic with you if caught.

The US Constitution trumps federal "law". SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED is specifically stated where arms are concerned... NO AMOUNT of judicial tyranny can negate this FACT..... Perhaps it is time for real Americans to start acting like the ones in charge instead of our SERVANTS....

Funny thing about laws and how they are written. The VA code regarding carrying a weapon says in the prohibition section;
D. This section shall also not apply to any of the following individuals while in the discharge of their official duties, or while in transit to or from such duties:
1. Carriers of the United States mail;
Of course, as a quasi-federal employee, there are other restrictions.

I live ia a rural area. On the rare occasion I have to go to the Post Office I park across the street. dis-arm, walk to the Post Office to do my business, then walk back to my vehicle.
If I were to see someone else doing what I do, I would pretty much assume there was a weapon in that vehicle.
The only other choice would be to leave the house un-armed. I refuse to do that.

My PO shares a public parking lot with numerous other stores in a shopping mall. I pull my gun out of the holster and lock it in the glove compartment before entering the PO then reholster when I return to the vehicle.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back