Possibly silly question

Cratchelow

I live in Illinois(I accept your condolences).I have a PA CCW permit and can CC in Indiana.I am unsure of the vehicle transport laws,however.Do I have to lock my handgun in the trunk,or since I have a "permit" can I legally have the gun on my person while driving once I cross into Indiana?
Thanks

Here is a good link to use....

Link Removed

And In accepts PA CCW so you can carry it in Indiana....

But make sure someone smart replies.... I rely on maps too much...:wacko:

always get more than one answer !!!

I live in Illinois(I accept your condolences).I have a PA CCW permit and can CC in Indiana.I am unsure of the vehicle transport laws,however.Do I have to lock my handgun in the trunk,or since I have a "permit" can I legally have the gun on my person while driving once I cross into Indiana?
Thanks

Indiana accepts licenses from ALL other states. If you have a license from ANY state you may carry openly or concealed in Indiana. Here are a few other tid-bits:

Indiana has a License to Carry a Handgun. There is no mention of concealment in the Indiana Code. It is not a CCW law. You may carry openly or concealed.

You do not have to notify an officer you are carying unless he/she asks if you are carrying a weapon.

You may carry into a restaurant, bar or night club AND EVEN DRINK AT THE BAR while carrying in Indiana. ( I have to say this will come under extreme scrutiny should you end up using your gun!)

"NO GUNS" signs have no weight of law in Indiana. but if you are asked to leave GET OUT! You are tresspassing.

You may drive on to school (K-12) property for the purpose of picking up students, but you may not leave the controls of the vehicle. You MAY NOT carry at any other school function on or off school property.

College carry is legal in Indiana, but may result in penalties from your college if you violate their rules on carry.

You may carry into a bank in indiana.

For more information, the best source of info on the subject is the book Indiana Firearms Law by Brian Ciyou.

Happy travels!

Randall DeWitt
President/CEO
Indy Gun Safety

Mr. DeWitt, can you please clarify this post for me? I have been reviewing various carry rules for Indiana and in other places have seen posts indicating that out of state permit holders are required to follow the state laws for the state where the permit was issued. While this does not seem logical to me, that is what I was seeing.

In the case of this individual, he is a resident of IL, but has a PA permit and is driving in IN. Whose laws are being applied? And does the patrol officer who pulls him over know the appropriate laws?

Indiana accepts licenses from ALL other states. If you have a license from ANY state you may carry openly or concealed in Indiana. Here are a few other tid-bits:

Indiana has a License to Carry a Handgun. There is no mention of concealment in the Indiana Code. It is not a CCW law. You may carry openly or concealed.

You do not have to notify an officer you are carying unless he/she asks if you are carrying a weapon.

You may carry into a restaurant, bar or night club AND EVEN DRINK AT THE BAR while carrying in Indiana. ( I have to say this will come under extreme scrutiny should you end up using your gun!)

"NO GUNS" signs have no weight of law in Indiana. but if you are asked to leave GET OUT! You are tresspassing.

You may drive on to school (K-12) property for the purpose of picking up students, but you may not leave the controls of the vehicle. You MAY NOT carry at any other school function on or off school property.

College carry is legal in Indiana, but may result in penalties from your college if you violate their rules on carry.

For more information, the best source of info on the subject is the book Indiana Firearms Law by Brian Ciyou.

Happy travels!

Randall DeWitt
President/CEO
Indy Gun Safety

Good info... in addition, if the OP wants to carry any rifles or shotguns in your vehicle, you do not need a permit and they may be loaded in the passenger compartment. Also, employees of most businesses may keep their firearms locked in their vehicles while they are on company property in case the company has a policy against firearms.

Mr. DeWitt, can you please clarify this post for me? I have been reviewing various carry rules for Indiana and in other places have seen posts indicating that out of state permit holders are required to follow the state laws for the state where the permit was issued. While this does not seem logical to me, that is what I was seeing.

In the case of this individual, he is a resident of IL, but has a PA permit and is driving in IN. Whose laws are being applied? And does the patrol officer who pulls him over know the appropriate laws?

No matter what state one travels in, if that state recognizes your permit or license, then that person is subject to the laws of the state they are in. The patrol officer may or may not know the laws. It is advisable to have with you a copy of the reciprocity agreement between the states in case you are in an encounter with a LEO.

Let me give an example... I live in PA and have both a PA license to carry and a UT permit. The UT permit gives me reciprocity with a bordering state OH. In PA, I'm allowed in a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol. I may even drink if I want while carrying (not advisable, but legal). However, when I travel to OH, even though I'm allowed to carry in OH, OH's rules state that no one carrying is allowed in a restaurant that serves alcohol or bar. Therefore, I'm subject to OH laws, and not the laws I'm used to in PA.

It is always best to know the laws of the state you are traveling through BEFORE you travel thought it.

Happy travels!

Randall DeWitt
President/CEO
Indy Gun Safety

The one Indiana law I've always found confusing is the law saying you can't carry in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function. Does this mean if you see a school bus at a local park you can't carry there? What about when you see a bus parked at McDonald's or the mall? This is the least clear law in an otherwise pretty clear state.

The school function begs a question. The church I attend has during the week a Pre School on the property. There are times during the week that I go into the church for various reasons and most times I am carrying. Am I breaking the law in doing so?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back