Possible Move

mattwestm

I might have a job offer in Michigan in the Lansing area. I had a few questions about the gun laws. I read somewhere about registering your pistols. What exactly do I need to bring with me to get them registered? Is it against the law not to have them registered and how is this enforced?

Now, another question about the permit. I read that you must be a resident for 6 months in order to obtain a MI permit, unless you have a permit from another state, this requirement may be waived. Is this 6 month requirement always waived or does it depend on the county and other reasons?

As sad as it is, not being able to carry for 6 months is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

CPL permit in Michigan

I might have a job offer in Michigan in the Lansing area. I had a few questions about the gun laws. I read somewhere about registering your pistols. What exactly do I need to bring with me to get them registered? Is it against the law not to have them registered and how is this enforced?

Now, another question about the permit. I read that you must be a resident for 6 months in order to obtain a MI permit, unless you have a permit from another state, this requirement may be waived. Is this 6 month requirement always waived or does it depend on the county and other reasons?

As sad as it is, not being able to carry for 6 months is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Gun registration is a pretty painless process in Michigan. Just fill out the forms for the local LE, turn them in and get fingerprinted. I guess registration of your pistols is enforced if they find your unregistered weapon....if you intend to have and keep a CPL, I'd highly recommend carefully crossing your T's and dotting your I's.

Permits are issued by the governing county, and I would imagine that waiving the 6 month requirement is entirely up to the board in the county where you applied. An informal inquiry might help you get a sense of the county's inclinations on waiving the 6 month requirement...

Good luck!

Do what you want but just having to register my gun would be a deal breaker for me. Big Brother has no business knowing how many or what types of protection tools I possess!

Do what you want but just having to register my gun would be a deal breaker for me. Big Brother has no business knowing how many or what types of protection tools I possess!

The handgun registration part sucks, but not being able to carry for six months will suck even more. I've got another job offer in Missouri that I'm currently considering more than the one in Michigan.

Registration is simple and painless, I wouldn't let that make my mind up over the job. Michigan is recognized in two more states than Missouri but the job itself has to be the major factor.

Just an FYI, in Michigan you can carry openly WITHOUT a permit, after you get your handguns registered.
But you can't carry them in your vehicle. That can be a major pain having to disarm and rearm every time you get in or out of your car. That was the main reason I got my CPL in the first place. It made it so much easier going to the range.

I agree completely. It's better than nothing but a CPL makes it so much easier.
That it does. But if someone just moved here, and have to wait to satisfy residency requirements, then that would be the way to go. Unless they somehow can get a waiver to bypass the residency.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back