Polymer Frame Guns

JohnLM

I am new to USA Carry and from reading some of the post I have seen some negative comments about polymer fram teguns.I am a begginer shooter who have been shooting for about a year now. I have my CCW Permit and I have three polymer frame guns. I have a Glock 27, a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger LCP. What is the basic drawback, if any to polymer frame guns. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Welcome to the forum..
I can tell you some of the pluses..
Lighter gun to carry all day
Less rust from body sweat and humidity
Poly frame guns have been around long enough now to prove themselves.. Just like any other component, some manufacture good parts and some bad, but I've heard very little bad about poly frames. IMHO

+1

Polymer guns have been around for a long time now. If they didn't work well, that wouldn't be the case. How many LEA's use polymer framed guns? They wouldn't do it if there were reliability issues.

The Police Department that I retired from along with the Department's that both my son and daughter are in at present have Polymer weapons as their issued weapons. They have issued Glock's with Polymer frames for over 20 years without a problem and this is a 330 person department.

I still have 3 weapons with Poly Frames.
Bill

The REAL downside that I have seen.... is the folks that think that ONLY steel frame guns are real guns... to THEM Polymer = tupperware and should be confined to the kitchen...

I have and love both ! XDm-40 ROCKS !!!

I have carried a Glock 19 since 1988 then a Glock 26 everyday since 2001. Polymers are the best (lightest, least rusting and most dependable) for daily carry. I have nothing against metal handguns (I prefer stainless steel), I just like "tupperware" guns better.

Carry Glock 26....all day every day....have no complaints on a poly frame weapon..... Much lighter then stainless, makes it more comftorable for EDC

Welcome to the forum..
I can tell you some of the pluses..
Lighter gun to carry all day
Less rust from body sweat and humidity
Poly frame guns have been around long enough now to prove themselves.. Just like any other component, some manufacture good parts and some bad, but I've heard very little bad about poly frames. IMHO

You forgot one.

The poly framed guns warm up A LOT faster when up against your skin than the all steel guns do!

I have 2 poly frame guns, carry both of 'em... M&P45 and 40c... The 40c is on me most of the time from spring to fall. When it gets cold I carry the full size 45...

Have had no issues with either... Took the M&P40c to Front Sight for training. 700 rounds with one cleaning at the beginning of the 4 days and no issues at all.. Some people have their opinions and love to have others take them and adopt them as their own. Do some research and educate yourself and come to your own opinion... Welcome to the forum...

All of my handguns except three are polymer, and I for one don't give a damned what others say. I carry either my Taurus PT145 or my PT709. I rotate them out with either my Ruger LC9 or Rossi 46102, but I always have my TCP/738 in my lefy front pocket. One advantage polymer has over steel or aluminum frames is the number of rounds polymer allows you to carry vs all metal framed guns...

There is nothing wrong with tupperware guns. - LOL! I have a Walther P99AS. Very nice pistol.
I carry a 1911 though. I am much more accurate with it. Yes, it has less rounds, but it is thinner. There is a lot less recoil on the 1911 than the Polymer gun. Also a fully loaded tupperware is very close to the weight of a fully loaded 1911. Those extra rounds make up a signifcant amount of weight.
YMMV

I would not worry at all ... there are some traditionalists who think the only handgun worth a damn is an all steel 1911 and they will tell you "plastic" guns are crap. Just go and ask your friendly police officer what he is carrying as a reality check.

I spend a lot of time with a Glock 36, and an LCP, for quite a while. No problems so far.

I am new to USA Carry and from reading some of the post I have seen some negative comments about polymer fram teguns.I am a begginer shooter who have been shooting for about a year now. I have my CCW Permit and I have three polymer frame guns. I have a Glock 27, a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger LCP. What is the basic drawback, if any to polymer frame guns. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Don't sweat it. I have them all, polymers, alloys, steels, and love them all, but carry the polymers 99% of the time. They're lighter, don't rust (on the frame at least) and feed reliably.

So if polymer is what you have and like, tear it up and shoot the heck out of them!

Welcome to the forum and congradulations on your handgun selection.

The Polymer-Vs-Whatever discussion has been around a long time, and as you can tell from some of the feedback here there are a lot of proponents of Polymer. In my opinion there is nothing inferior about Polymer framed guns especially if you are in the profession of arms and have to carry for extended periods or distances.

Early Polymer designs were a little sensitive to cleaning fluids especially if you used brake cleaner to remove dirt and residue. Today's designs are better as are the types of cleaning materials available.

Personally, I prefer all steel and/or alloy guns simply because I take advantage of the extra weight to improve my shooting skills. I typically shoot Berettas (M9/92FS/92G) and CZs (75B/P01)on the range but carry a Polymer framed Kahr PM9. I like the weight of the PM9 although it's a handful to shoot as is your LCP I suspect.

You've probably already figured out there are a lot of folks out there that think Polymer is like Tupperware or plastic. There are also a lot of folks that don't like metal injection molding versus forged steel, and integrated locks on S&W revolvers. Over time you'll develop great skill at filtering out fact from fantasy on these forums.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back