Police violate NH RSA 159:6?

NoComp

I applied for and received my license a few years ago. The application was submitted to my local PD. I feel as though my local PD violated my rights under RSA 159:6. Below, are excerpts from the RSA governing the issuance of licenses.

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.....The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made.....No forms other than the one prescribed and issued by the Director of State Police may be used for the application and issuance of licenses.

I believe my local PD violated RSA 159:6 by 1) requiring a form to be filled out, in addition to the standard application, detailing my previous home addresses and whereabouts dating back to my time in college (not issued by the director of NH State Police), and 2) failing to render a decision about the license within 14 days (they took 10 weeks).

I don't necessarily disagree with disclosing the extra info they requested, but I DO disagree in the sense that this PD was not operating within the guidelines provided by the law, and thus should not have required that extra info and should've delivered a timely decision. I'm not looking to "rock the boat", but I have to renew my license soon, and if I'm asked to give additional info this time, I think I'll refuse. To prove the application timeline, I will have my application/fees delivered by certified mail/receipt notification. I'm looking for advice as to how I should discuss my concerns with my local PD without ruffling their feathers. It seems like every time I make a statement to an LEO that is contradictory or assertive, they take it all personally, get really defensive and confrontational, and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible...I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

NoComp

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back