Please cite where civilians are prohibited firearms on military bases

ChristCrusader

I've been looking and reading and am not seeing where civilians are prohibited from either carrying or transporting firearms on military bases. Can someone help by citing something somewhere please? Especially Ft. Belvoir or Quantico in VA.
Army Regulation 190–14, Military Police, Carrying of Firearms and Use of Force for Law Enforcement and Security Duties failed me. If that's one of your sources, please help me with a quote from there.

Thanks!

Actually, not only are civilians prohibited from carrying on post, service personnel likewise are prohibited. In fact, if a soldier owns a personal firearm and resides on post or in post housing, that firearm must be registered with the Military Police and secured in the arms room of the unit to which the soldier is assigned. The weapon can be signed out for sporting/recreational purposes with permission of the unit commander.

While on active duty and as company commander, I was confronted with this issue twice: once when a soldier living in the barracks tried to keep a personal weapon in his locker inside the barracks (a major no-no and clear breach of regulations), and when I purchased my first personal firearm. At the time, I was living off-post in private quarters. I purchased a S&W Model 10 M&P revolver in .38 Special. Three days later, I had an MP standing in front of my desk demanding to know if I had made that purchase and the location of the weapon. I was required to sign an affidavit as to the purchase and the location where the weapon was stored. Being off-post, there wasn't anything the Army could do, but the MP was not polite, not apologetic, and not patient. I was mad, and a little embarrassed. To avoid the situation again, I did not make another such purchase until I left active duty. Sadly, that revolver was stolen from my home several years later and never recovered.

US Code Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal factilities

Don't like it, think it's dangerous, but here is the reason you cannot carry on a military installation. Pay attention at the gate and you will see the reference posted on a white sign with red lettering and pictures of a gun and a knife.

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 44 › § 930
18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Current through Pub. L. 113-88. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

US Code
Notes
Updates
Authorities (CFR)

prev | next
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.
(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

I got this from LII / Legal Information Institute

Don't like it, think it's dangerous, but here is the reason you cannot carry on a military installation. Pay attention at the gate and you will see the reference posted on a white sign with red lettering and pictures of a gun and a knife.

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 44 › § 930
18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

And exactly how does that apply to just "on base" and not inside a building? From that very statute that you posted:

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

Where I worked (Fed installation - GUN FREE ZONE, no knife shown on the signs but they might have changed the signs in the 4 years since I retired and I haven't been back) there was a muslim supervisor. To make things worse, he thought I'm Jewish. Since there is a strict no guns policy/regulation on base, we couldn't even have our guns in the trunk of the car. If we went to that address during the day, we had to be disarmed/defenseless. Since I couldn't be gun-armed, I asked every base commander who came down the pike why the sign was there but they didn't know and weren't willing to find out for me). I had 30-some years towards a comfortable retirement/pension which I was not willing to put at risk. However, whenever that muslim super came around, I kept my eye on him. My super knew how paranoid I was about him and also knew I carried a switchblade (and why I carried it to the office), which he was ok with, tho he didn't want me to display it in any way so I kept it concealed for him (wink, wink, nod, nod....). I had my mind made up that I would use it if I had to.
When I returned to the base a couple weeks later to pick up my retiree ID pass, I was armed so I had to park my car off base and walk in the front gate to the visitor center. The clerk/guard asked me for my license plate number so I explained why I parked off base - the gun locked in the trunk. He said that he HAD to put my license plate number on the form (all forms have blanks and every blank SHALL be filled out ! Talk about a really stupid sh8). I guess this is why they have that rank - BUCK PRIVATE....

Depends on the base but some do allow firearms on base as they have hunting areas or ranges that the public can use. Quantico example shows that guns may be transported on base but with required methods for so doing. Ft Eustis, Va also has a hunting area. The Feds did setup exemptions to the no guns rules as shown by Nunya's own post. (d) 3 being the hunting/range clause.

Actually, not only are civilians prohibited from carrying on post, service personnel likewise are prohibited. In fact, if a soldier owns a personal firearm and resides on post or in post housing, that firearm must be registered with the Military Police and secured in the arms room of the unit to which the soldier is assigned. The weapon can be signed out for sporting/recreational purposes with permission of the unit commander.

While on active duty and as company commander, I was confronted with this issue twice: once when a soldier living in the barracks tried to keep a personal weapon in his locker inside the barracks (a major no-no and clear breach of regulations), and when I purchased my first personal firearm. At the time, I was living off-post in private quarters. I purchased a S&W Model 10 M&P revolver in .38 Special. Three days later, I had an MP standing in front of my desk demanding to know if I had made that purchase and the location of the weapon. I was required to sign an affidavit as to the purchase and the location where the weapon was stored. Being off-post, there wasn't anything the Army could do, but the MP was not polite, not apologetic, and not patient. I was mad, and a little embarrassed. To avoid the situation again, I did not make another such purchase until I left active duty. Sadly, that revolver was stolen from my home several years later and never recovered.
Not all services and installations do it exactly the same way, so they aren't all as you describe, but the methodology is still very strict in all cases.

I retired from the Army many years ago and we didn't have any problems with owning weapons while living in government quarters. All of my weapons were registered in our Arms Room but kept in my quarters. Whenever I wanted to go hunting on post/off post, I simply put my weapon in the gun rack in my pickup and went my merry way. There wasn't any heartburn about that unless someone might show his rear end, then all hell came down on you. We did have problems with young enlisted troops coming back from Vietnam who wanted to keep weapons in their POVs and this required unannounced vehicle inspections looking for weapons. If any were found, they were confiscated, registered and turned in to the Arms Room. You were unable to purchase firearms on post before I retired so there was no problem there. Contrary to a lot of opinions on here, I believe letting troops run around armed would be insane. I have seen many fights among troops and even an officer attacked with a 2x4 with a nail in it. If something like that can happen when troops are unarmed, imagine what could happen if they are armed.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back