Pizza Delivery Man Kills Would Be Robber

12not6

A Pizza Hut delivery man in Columbia, SC shot and killed a would be robber (17 years old) on Saturday evening (3/7). The delivery man had a concealed weapons permit and the police indicate he will NOT be charged. He indicated he had been robbed before and feared for his life since he has a young child.

Three others were charged as accomplices. The three survivors reportedly left their wounded friend but did abscond with the pizza. The shooter later apologized to the parents of the dead teenager.

Unfortunately, the delivery man did lose his delivery job since Pizza Hut does not permit its employees to carry weapons.

I don't know what Dominos (and others) may have as their policy but I for one will no longer purchase from Pizza Hut.

Link Removed

According to the article, the others allegedly involved in the robbery sat across the street eating the stolen pizza while their accomplice lay dying? Do you see anything wrong there? Callous just doesn't describe it. Then again, I realize that criminals just don't care. Nope, they don't! Sure 'nuf!

According to the article, the others allegedly involved in the robbery sat across the street eating the stolen pizza while their accomplice lay dying? Do you see anything wrong there? Callous just doesn't describe it. Then again, I realize that criminals just don't care. Nope, they don't! Sure 'nuf!

When I was a kid my mom used to have a saying, "there is no honor among thieves".

I don't know what Dominos (and others) may have as their policy but I for one will no longer purchase from Pizza Hut.

Link Removed

I drove for Domino's off and on for about 15 years. I now drive big rigs over the road. Might as well boycott every franchise that offers delivery and every product that is delivered to retail stores via big trucks. They all have no weapons policies at the corporate level. The franchisee or manager of your local Pizza Hut or Domino's has no choice at all in enforcing these policies. They're a condition of their contract, the ignoring of which will get their franchise license yanked faster than a quick-draw trick-shooter can pop off 6 rounds and reholster (that's under 2 seconds for the fastest shooters around).

I commend this Pizza Hut driver, but I don't feel sorry for him for losing his job. He knew without any doubt that every day he strapped on his weapon, he made the choice to defend himself even at the cost of losing his job in so doing. I say good for him, he made the right and smart choice, including putting his life ahead of his livelihood. Jobs like that are a dime a dozen though. He'll either go straight to Domino's or Papa John's, or he'll do another smart thing and take this opportunity to get started in a career that will provide well for him and his family for the rest of his working life, something that delivering pizza has no chance whatsoever of doing.

I'm thrilled to read that he won't face charges from the government. But Pizza Hut's policy isn't analogous at all to a government that routinely threatens our 2nd Amendment rights. Just as the government should stay out of people's lives who use deadly force lawfully and legally, corporations should be allowed to set employment policy that provides them the least amount of legal liability exposure as possible. Corporations that institute no weapons policies don't do it because they're anti-gun, they do it because they're anti-getting-sued. I worked for two different franchisees while at Domino's and both are avid hunters and one is an ex-Marine who has one of the wildest gun collections I've ever laid eyes on. Both of 'em hated the policy as much as I did, but that's life. It wasn't their call to make to live with, enforce or even protest the policy. Of course, I never asked, but I'm reasonably sure that at least one of 'em lived under the policy the same way I did. I took it as a suggestion and chose for myself whether or not to follow it, and kept my mouth shut about it, just like it sounds like this Pizza Hut driver did until he couldn't keep quiet due to extenuating circumstances.

All that said, and I sincerely believe it all, you can bet your bottom dollar that I did and still do carry every time I leave the house. I've been carrying for over 20 years. No one will ever enforce a no weapons policy with me, at least not in a way that disarms me. Luckily for me, I've never had to show or use my weapon while on the job, but if it ever comes to that, I'll use it exactly as I would if I were off the job, and then I'd drive my rig to the nearest company terminal, clean it out and turn in the keys. Next I'd start looking for another job, just like this Pizza Hut driver will do. It really ain't no thang.

Blues

I think that carrying a gun should be required of a pizza delivery job and it should be publicized. Maybe if the BG know that the delivery guys are armed they will think twice about trying to rob them. The idea is just give them the money and there will not be any problems is fine but doesn't work in real life.

I think that carrying a gun should be required of a pizza delivery job and it should be publicized. Maybe if the BG know that the delivery guys are armed they will think twice about trying to rob them. The idea is just give them the money and there will not be any problems is fine but doesn't work in real life.

Agreed. Carrying should be allowed. However, IMO publicizing them as being armed could cause an armed BG to shoot first. Just something to think about.

I drove for Dominoes for all of two months, carried a gun every hour I was on the clock.

There needs to be a liberty-preserving law passed that constrains corporate policies, including insurance policies, from constraining the gun rights of a person not on corporate property.

So the guy loses a crap job delivering pizzas? He is still alive, and one more punk is no longer a danger to society. I'm sure the pizza guy needed the money - I wouldn't take a job like that (or a convenience store cleck on the mid-shift) unless I was living on the streets.

I hope he finds another job, but he saved his life, and will continue to come home to his wife and kid. And that's what counts. And I can't stand Pizza Hut products anyway, so any boycott wouldn't affect me.

Agreed. Carrying should be allowed. However, IMO publicizing them as being armed could cause an armed BG to shoot first. Just something to think about.

+1 For Carry.

I do think the delivery guys should carry, I know I would if I had that job, but probably not advertize it. Otherwise the BG's, can always call a pizza place to have them deliver and come away with a weapon by having some sort of an ambush set up. Then, who knows where that gun can end up at.

+1 For Carry.

I do think the delivery guys should carry, I know I would if I had that job, but probably not advertize it. Otherwise the BG's, can always call a pizza place to have them deliver and come away with a weapon by having some sort of an ambush set up. Then, who knows where that gun can end up at.

I understand that view completely anbd when I say advertise it I don't mean include it in the commercials or anything but just sort of let it be known. The average delivery robber looks it as a quick job with little danger as the delivery man is supposed to be unarmed. If someone has the option of robbing a 7-11 where the clerk is armed with a gun vs. one where they know the clerk may have a baseball bat at maximum then they are going to take the easier route, However some can't think that far ahead.

However with all our expectations if you watch a few of the security camera videos of actual robberies you start to get the feeling that the average criminal can't even think and have no idea of what they are doing. There is usually very little planning or thought in their robbery and nothing that anyone does is right, especially those on drugs. They demand the money and even when the clerk is trying to get the cash register open they still shoot or try to climb over the counter to get to it.

I suppose we all just give the average criminal too much credit for being able to think. If they call a deliery man planning to rob him knowing he has a gun I suspect that they are going to kill him no matter what. His only hope may be to shoot first. If crooks were rational they wouldn't need to be crooks. :mad:

Pizza delivery man shoots thug

This is the second story I've heard about Pizza Hut in the last year firing a delivery person for defending himself with a legally carried weapon. The first one was in Des Moines, Iowa close to a year ago. I wrote to Pizza Hut at that time and informed them that they had lost at least one good customer for life because of that. I have relayed that same information to several people I know and they have also stopped buying from Pizza Hut. It's a damned shame, because I really like their pizzas, but there are other places to get pizza and I will never buy anything from Pizza Hut again!

What would Pizza Hut tell the families of these two delivery men if they had not been armed and had been killed by the dirtbags they shot? "Oh, well, so sorry he died on the job, but our rule is more important than the lives of our employees"? Pizza Hut can kiss my redneck ass. With the economy in the toilet like it is there are more and more people who might not have been criminals before, but have to find a way to eat and feed their families now. I'm not condoning anyone who would rob someone else, but some people do get desperate which is all the more reason for the rest of us to be wary and be armed. The only time my gun comes out of my holster is when I'm on the john or in bed, but it is always right beside me even then. The only reason I take it out in the john is that it makes it a little easier to get my pants back up without the extra weight pulling my belt out of the loops and toward the floor.

The bottom line is, if you see me out somewhere or just home watching TV, I WILL be armed, and any scumbag who tries to rob me is going to wind up on the receiving end of a triple tap (two center mass and one in the head)!

Maybe if evough people would boycott businesses with this stupid attitude, they might get the message and if they don't and go out of business for lack of customers it will be their own fault.

Did no one read my post? It's not the delivery companies. It's the insurance companies. If you want the delivery companies to let their delivery drivers carry on the job without fear of losing their job, you have to attack them in their excuse. When it becomes illegal for insurance companies to underwrite policies that include depriving people of basic constitutional liberties as a matter of course, then it's time to jump on the delivery companies themselves, but as long as they have that legal crutch to lean on, their employees' RKBA will always be one contract signature from being pissed away.

While you're at it, in the same bill, how about insulating the businesses from civil lawsuits on the parts of scumbags for injuries sustained while trying to take on the business's armed deliverymen? It's no reasonable. Scumbags, no matter where they ply their trade, in front of your house or their own, need never profit from their scumbaggery..

I used to drive pizza delivery.
I was once robbed of the pizza, though I had not realized it at the moment. I handed them the pizza. They asked me to follow them around back(of the house) for the money. Half way around the corner they jogged off around the back. All the warning bells in my mind went off. I left and reported it to my manager.

The manager said a lost pizza was no big deal and that it was good that I just left it at that.

That neighborhood was prone to shootings and every couple of months we would get calls from the cops about quarantines in that area. Even so, carrying a gun never entered my mind.

I'm a lot older now, and regardless of policy, I now see how much risk there was. Even though I do not regularly carry a firearm on me, I would not begrudge a delivery driver's right to bear arms.

You can get a new job, you can't get a second life. If I had to have a job like that, I'd carry and risk the firing.

Early this morning in Orlando, a home owner arrived at home and was pistol-whipped by two BGs. He was carrying, and shot one of the perps to death. The other guy is still on the run.

Link Removed

Slightly better than this scenario

Many years ago I served on the jury of a murder trial at a Monical's Pizza.Idiot had worked there a few weeks earlier,learned the routine,quit and showed up at closing time,knowing when everyone would be gone and cash would be available.He got in, as the manager and the girl working there knew him.He shot the girl and the manager in the head.teenage girl died while cowering in the bathroom,manager lived although impaired for life.

Scumbag grabbed the cash and threw a huge cocaine party for his buddies that night.Never forget what the pictures of the crime scene looked like.TV can't begin to depict what it is really like.

Reminds me of that guy that invented bullet proof vest. I saw the story about it on a T.V., and what made him change his mind was a confrontation he had as a pizza delivery person in Chicago. Ironic.:sarcastic:

I worked a case where a Pizza Delivery driver was delivering to an empty Barracks room and was jumped by 4 individuals trying to get a free pizza and some extra cash. The victim managed to call 911 and the Military Police showed up and tracked down all 4 people, who then attempted to flee from us and then fought with us. Cops 4, bad guys zero.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back