Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit

mom of 3 angels

Anybody have more information on this? She was not breaking the law as I see it, so should not have had her permit revoked just because some other parents were uncomfortable with her exercising her rights.

Link Removed

Pistol-packing Pa. soccer mom loses gun permit
September 24th, 2008 @ 6:37pm

LEBANON, Pa. (AP) - Officials in Pennsylvania have revoked a woman's concealed-weapons permit because other parents complained that she was carrying her loaded handgun at her daughter's soccer games. Meleanie Hain said she's fighting the revocation by the Lebanon County sheriff.

Hain lost the permit and got a warning from local soccer officials after a game on Sept. 11.

Sheriff Michael DeLeo says openly carrying a weapon to a youth soccer match shows a lack of judgment.

Hain tells the Lebanon Daily News she's always openly carried a firearm without any problems in the past.

And her lawyer _ Robert Magee _ says that while Pennsylvania requires a permit for a concealed firearm, it doesn't require a license to carry one openly except in Philadelphia.

Sheriff Michael DeLeo says openly carrying a weapon to a youth soccer match shows a lack of judgment
LOL WTF... thats bull shit is there a Law saying no carry at soccer games? Do they a Sign posted saying NO WEAPONS??? Got a Number for the Sheriff?? I think we should all call there office and ask Them about this case LOL..... LOL on top of that why would they PULL HER PERMIT!!!! IF SHE WAS OPEN CARRYING!!! I am lets think about this? Ok she can no longer carry concealed so what sounds like she likes to open carry any way.. So by pulling her permit is some how going to stop her from open carrying again? LOL if i lived in PA i would show up with every one i could find who had a permit just to make a point. We would all show up carrying concealed. Then after the game i would ask every one who was carrying a gun to lift there shirt.. I think people would crap them self's to know they had been sitting/standing next to some evil person with a gun the whole game. I use the word "EVIL" because in the good old US of A only cops an bad guys carry guns and if your not a cop and have a gun. Then in people's eyes you are a bad guy.. When i see some one open carrying yeah i am like oh wow he/she has a gun.. Then i start to look at them lol because i like to try and see if i can tell what kind of gun they are carrying it's a fun little game. But i do not Call the cops on them, unless they are in a Orange jump suit lol..

Last edited:
+1 S&WM&P40

So just to get the fact straight..

You don't need a concealed weapons permit to carry openly in PA
The Soccer Mom was exercising her right to "legally" carry openly
Other parents complained so the sheriff pulled her concealed permit, which has nothing to do with open carry
So now she can only carry openly everywhere she goes......

Makes sense!

If I was her I'd get a good Lawyer and show up at the next Soccer game open carrying! Heck, if I was in PA I'd show up open carrying as well just for support. Probably good I don't or I'd probably have my permit revoked also!

+1 S&WM&P40

So just to get the fact straight..

You don't need a concealed weapons permit to carry openly in PA
The Soccer Mom was exercising her right to "legally" carry openly
Other parents complained so the sheriff pulled her concealed permit, which has nothing to do with open carry
So now she can only carry openly everywhere she goes......

Makes sense!

If I was her I'd get a good Lawyer and show up at the next Soccer game open carrying! Heck, if I was in PA I'd show up open carrying as well just for support. Probably good I don't or I'd probably have my permit revoked also!

I hope this Mother takes this to high levels of court, like not just going for her permit back but to make a change. This is so ridiculous. People complained because she was carrying? WOW. So because my co-workers exercise their right to freedom of speech all around me, I'm going to call the cops and complain. Hopefully they will pull his right to speak because he is annoying. W......O......W!

OK i could see how maybe, if the game was on school grounds. But most games are held are PUBLIC PARKS...Some times i think people do not think at all before they do something.. How in the world Can you pull some ones permit just because some one said OMG SHE HAS A GUN RUN For the hills before SHE ATTACKS lol. I mean COMe the fuck on for real.. First off you have to take courses and pass them to get your permit. They just don't hand out permits at the local 7/11 to any Joe some buddy. You have to pass the back ground check, ATF,FBI and state/local checks. So i say again who in there right mind would pull some ones permit for open carrying (WITH IN THERE LEGAL RIGHTS) just because i say it makes me feel unsafe??

Places Off-Limits* While Carrying in PA:

o
ANY Court facility
o
ANY Federal Building (Unless Authorized)
o
State Parks (except while in vehicle)
o
Detention Facilities (Adult & Juvenile)
o
Air Carrier Airport Terminals (secure areas only, common areas OK)
o
Cities of the first class unless you hold a valid LTCF
o Elementary and secondary schools. Federal law prohibits carry within 1000 feet of a school but resident carry license holders are excepted from the law. Pa law prohibits carry on school grounds but has exceptions that are explained within the statute: Title 18, §912

*The "Off Limits" list above also applies to concealed carry .

LOL love this found it on the PA OC laws check this shit out

There is no stipulation in neither the PA code nor case law that a PA LTCF holder must
carry concealed. Furthermore, lawful open carry of a
firearm is NOT grounds for revocation of a PA LTCF as it is neither an illegal nor dangerous act.

In Pennsylvania, persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by
law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun
in plain sight with no license except in vehicles*, cities of
the first class** (Philadelphia) and where prohibited specifically

Before we all go crazy over this I think we need all the facts.. I think when all is said and done there just may be more to this then we think.. Anyway why would you open carry to a friendly soccer game if you had a concealed carry permit ?? But then again open carry was legal if you were in the right place.. If you were not then you are just asking for trouble... As already stated where was the soccer game? On school property??

Doesn't sound like it was at/near a school. Here's link to another article. Link Removed There's a photo of the lady with her holstered Glock 26. It's a lengthy article, so I will refrain from posting the contents here.

Here's the photo of Meleanie Hain with her holstered Glock 26

20080924_082319_momgun_100.jpg

Folks need to learn to mind their own business and allow law abiding citizens to exercise their rights. Would things have been different if she was dressed up in a tactical jumpsuit, gun belt and shiny "metal oval" hanging from a chain around her neck?

gf

If she was carrying concealed I'm wondering how anyone there at the soccer game knew it? Did she broadcast it? Did it print? No one should know that anyone else is carrying. That's how we keep this from happening, correct?

A few days after receiving Foundling’s e-mail, Hain received a letter from county Sheriff Mike DeLeo, the local authority in charge of issuing gun licenses. A parent of another child contacted him about Hain.

In response, DeLeo revoked her concealed-weapons permit under a statute of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act that denies permits to any “individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a dangerous manner to public safety.”
“There is a provision of the Pennsylvania Constitution that specifically prohibits any government agency from interfering with the right of an individual to openly carry a firearm,” he said. “He’s basically punishing her for doing something she is permitted by law to do.”

DeLeo said he was well aware of the irony that his revocation of Hain’s permit to conceal a weapon will actually force her to wear it openly if she chooses to carry her firearm. He said he wanted to bring the matter to the public’s attention, but he did not have the right to take away her gun, so revoking the permit was his only option.

“I felt some action was needed, and I do believe that something like this should be brought to the public’s attention so the public is aware of what took place,” he said. “The public has the right to complain about the issue, and if the Legislature wants to do something, then so be it.”

LOL wow all of this is BULL SHIT.. You got some Judge trying to bully this lady into doing away with her gun. Then you got the NUMB NUTS OF A Sheriff ( This is like the one and only time you will ever hear me talk bad about the police) who is like i want to jump on the van wagon too. So he is like i cant do any thing, Oh wait i know i will pull her permit that will teach her. But yet Check this like i said before IF THIS HAD BEEN A COP?on or off duty who was watching is sons game. Nothing would have happened he would have gotten a ( wow your son played great today, have a nice night see you next game) but because she is not LEO she must be one of the Missing 911 hijacker's.

If she was carrying concealed I'm wondering how anyone there at the soccer game knew it? Did she broadcast it? Did it print? No one should know that anyone else is carrying. That's how we keep this from happening, correct?

She was not Carrying Concealed she was using her right to open carry.. As she goes on to say in the link Glock fan posted, She Open carry's all the time.. So again not having her permit is not really going to hurt her. I still think the court will give it back to her. As she was not waving it around yelling and handing it out to all the five year old's to dry fire. She was just standing there whats more is she even moved to the other side of the field when asked to do so.

Last edited:
She was not Carrying Concealed she was using her right to open carry.. As she goes on to say in the link Glock fan posted, She Open carry's all the time.. So again not having her permit is not really going to hurt her. I still think the court will give it back to her. As she was not waving it around yelling and handing it out to all the five year old's to dry fire. She was just standing there whats more is she even moved to the other side of the field when asked to do so.

I'm hoping the presiding judge isn't as brainless as the one who started the whole situation in the first place. :mad:

This can be argued several different ways. Good thing is that she's still able to carry her firearm (Let's stop using the "W" word. At this point it might be best to do our best to defuse this situation. IMHO, using the word won't help.)

I don't agree on OC unless it's absolutely necessary (as in certain states where one must OC if they don't have a CC license). I do feel that it's a personal choice left up to the individual firearm owner. I applaud this lady for exercising her rights knowing that it may cost her some time and money. All it takes is one IDIOT to call the police and say "there's a man/woman walking around with a gun". At this point, the police must respond. Regardless of if you get charged or not, should the police find you, I'm sure they'll stop you and ask a few questions to ensure that you're lawfully in possession of the firearm. (This will cost you time.)

It's sad that the situation got to this point. I would have thought that the Sheriff would have had more sense in enforcing the law. Being that the lady was clearly not in violation of the law (hence no "Chanel bracelets"), how can the Sheriff interpret her behavior as being "bad"? In this case, win or lose, Ms. Hain will come out a loser. :frown:

gf

Doesn't sound like it was at/near a school. Here's link to another article. Link Removed There's a photo of the lady with her holstered Glock 26. It's a lengthy article, so I will refrain from posting the contents here.

Here's the photo of Meleanie Hain with her holstered Glock 26

20080924_082319_momgun_100.jpg

Folks need to learn to mind their own business and allow law abiding citizens to exercise their rights. Would things have been different if she was dressed up in a tactical jumpsuit, gun belt and shiny "metal oval" hanging from a chain around her neck?

gf

You bet things would have been different if she were wearing that shiny "metal oval". Looks like they went a little too far with this one..

Hmm, me personally, I would have kept my weapon concealed....that's just me. Exercising your rights is one thing but open carry at ANY game where there are children playing You know you're just asking for ATTENTION. I live in NH and my weapon is concealed at my childrens games. I do not want ATTENTION drawn to Me. I know I have the RIGHT to carry it in the open but come on now, you do need to use better judgement. Was it really neccessary to have a weapon exposed at a childrens game OR Any game where you know there will be mommies watching their little darlings playing? Overall, what She was doing was Her right. Don't get me wrong, but a little more better judgement would have been better.........My opinion. On the other hand, the thingy with the officer and other officails pulling Her permit, I would get ahold of Mr.Lawyer and straighten that one out! That's a no-no.
Then again, as someone else mentioned on here............there's more to the story, need ALL the facts.

This sounds like something that would be done in a may issue people's republic, not a shall issue state with a reputation for being reasonably gun friendly. I'd fight this if I were her.

Lets see how this plays out

If this lady was not breaking the law and her only offense was a few complaints for something being done legally...the Sheriff may be in for a world of hurt legally.

If their was a legal grounds for what was done lets see about repealing some bad legislation.

Thanks for the longer article. Sounds like she's in her rights. I personally carry concealed to my kids' games, but that's just my preference. Carrying a firearm to a soccer game in no way demonstrates that she is an “individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a dangerous manner to public safety.” On the contrary, I think it shows her concern for the safety of those around her.

Had some wacko intent on doing harm come to the soccer field (and you know there are those who prey on children, especially where they don't think people will have means of self defense), those same parents would be viewing her a little differently now.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back