Pistol grip vs. Buttstock

Your prefered shotgun setup?

• Total voters

KimberPB

Ok this was kinda brought up in another thread so instead of thread jacking I figured I'd start a new thread. What is your preferred setup for your home defense shotgun? What are the benefits of a pistol grip over a full buttstock and vise versa? I'm planning on getting a shotgun soon and still have not decided between a collapsible stock or just a pistol grip. So it'll be interesting to here everyone’s opinions.

I like a full stock with a pistol grip. Although at real close range shooting from the hip might work from longer distances even a shot gun should be aimed. Don't know if any of you have ever tried holding a pistol grip shot gun up to eye level to aim and shoot but you can ask both my older brother and my son what can happen when you do that. Can you say fat lip. I think on my next shot gun I will get the Knoxx Stock. See link below.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Knoxx-Stocks/21$40768

Last edited:
I was thinking along the same lines as you HK. For inside the house were space may be limited; doorways, hallways, ect, and shoots will most like be under 20' a pistol grip may prove to be beneficial. But if you may need to take longer more accurate shots a buttstock would be a most.

True. What I like about a stock like the Knoxx is it is collapsable so you could make it almost as small as one with pistol grip only and still have the advantage of a full length stock when needed.

I am going with the Knoxx for my Mossburge 500. If I was to go with the grip only I would use low recoil ammo.

I voted for Standard buttstock (no pistol grip) but with an 18" barrel. With a stock I can still shoot from the hip or shoot from my shoulder with more control and comfort. I have several pistol grips with folding stock and just plain pistol grips but still prefer a common stock.

I noticed that the poll did not include a standard buttstock with a pistol grip, which was how I purchased my Mossberg 500A. You also could have included an option of two pistol grips, including one on the forend, which is my setup. I prefer a pistol grip with no stock because it makes maneuvering around the house a lot easier.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'd been leaning toward the collapsible pisol grip combo from the beginning but want to see what people had to say about the other configurations.

Apparently I'm the only one who prefers no stock at all. Am I some sort of oddball for preferring that configuration?

Did not vote as the Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock is what I have on my HD shotgun.
bertha.jpg

Last edited:
I really love this site. Humor, topics, tips... it really has it all. I have both collapsible and standard stock, depends as others have said where I am in the home. I also have a coach gun that is a mean little SOB for a quick one-two. I do like the collapsible for the options it gives in carry config.

:ph34r:

I really love this site. Humor, topics, tips... it really has it all. I have both collapsible and standard stock, depends as others have said where I am in the home. I also have a coach gun that is a mean little SOB for a quick one-two. I do like the collapsible for the options it gives in carry config.

:ph34r:

What is a coach gun?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back