Pistol Free Zone Question

nheadon

So I have had my CPL for about a month now and haven’t carried at all just due to finding the right holster, belt, etc getting prepared to carry. With that being said I had a couple questions!

When entering a pistol free zone can you have your gun on you if it is in your trunk? My instructor didn’t touch on this too well.

Example: if I went to church or went to a school, can I have my EDC in my trunk locked up? I have a pistol case for it with a lock. Would it be legal to do that and avoid trouble? I’m just making sure if I drive to church or another pistol free zone if I can just put my gun in my trunk and take it out when I leave?

Sorry may be a stupid question but I’m just trying to clarify before I start carrying everyday! Thank you!

So I have had my CPL for about a month now and haven’t carried at all just due to finding the right holster, belt, etc getting prepared to carry. With that being said I had a couple questions!

When entering a pistol free zone can you have your gun on you if it is in your trunk? My instructor didn’t touch on this too well.

Example: if I went to church or went to a school, can I have my EDC in my trunk locked up? I have a pistol case for it with a lock. Would it be legal to do that and avoid trouble? I’m just making sure if I drive to church or another pistol free zone if I can just put my gun in my trunk and take it out when I leave?

Sorry may be a stupid question but I’m just trying to clarify before I start carrying everyday! Thank you!

b23a71609be9faebf39f813c46ca8a9c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This may vary from state to state. For instance in SC, if you have a CWP, you can take a gun into school grounds if it is locked up in the glove box of your locked car. As to churches, hospitals and courthouses, I always understood that if the gun remained locked up, you could have it locked up in your car, but could not take it into the buildings.

As far as the suggestion somebody just made that carry laws be ignored, it is a great way to lose your permit and go to jail. Very bad idea. If you don’t want to abide by GFZ signs and laws prohibiting carry in certain buildings, just don’t go into those buildings or patronize those businesses. Don’t give the public and politicians a reason to start revoking shall carry permit laws by doing idiotic disregard of laws regulating guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the actual law concerning places it is illegal to carry concealed in Michigan. Please note the part I put in bold.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon or portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsections (1) and (2); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (5), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(h), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A school or school property except that a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school is not precluded from carrying a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking up the student from the school. As used in this section, "school" and "school property" mean those terms as defined in section 237a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.237a.

(b) A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child caring institution, or public or private child placing agency.

(c) A sports arena or stadium.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may post the sign developed under this subdivision.

(e) Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility.

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

(g) A hospital.

(h) A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university.

(2) Subject to subsection (5), an individual shall not carry a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology on any of the premises described in subsection (1).

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(h), shall not carry a concealed pistol in violation of R 432.1212 of the Michigan Administrative Code promulgated under the Michigan gaming control and revenue act, 1996 IL 1, MCL 432.201 to 432.226.

(4) As used in subsection (1), "premises" does not include parking areas of the places identified under subsection (1).
-snip-

May I strongly, very strongly!!!, suggest everyone research the actual laws (ALL the laws including trespass laws! perhaps even spending a bit of money talking to an attorney) that apply to carrying a gun in the State you live in and any States you might visit.

The following are my unasked for and likely annoying opinions:

Sneaking a gun in where it is illegal isn't fighting against gun laws with personal time and money spent getting laws changed but is nothing more than... sneaking. Sneaking that won't further any efforts to get laws changed but will end up being used to strengthen the anti gun argument for even more anti gun laws.

Respect, or the lack of it, is a two way street. I cannot understand why anyone would demand that their right to bear arms be respected while disrespecting someone else's private property right to ban guns from property they own. Not to mention it makes no sense to increase the profits of an anti gun business helping that anti gunner open yet another anti gun business while spending YOUR money on politicians who are working for even more gun control laws.

You may carry your weapon into a church unless the church forbids you to do so. If you go to a gun free zone it's OK to place your weapon in your trunk of your car locked up in a safe once you leave the building you may continue to carry your gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Link Removed

You may carry your weapon into a church unless the church forbids you to do so. If you go to a gun free zone it's OK to place your weapon in your trunk of your car locked up in a safe once you leave the building you may continue to carry your gun.

Pretty certain that's not the case for both the USPS and VA gun free zones unless I'm misreading the signs which always say "property". If it's in their parking lot then you are in violation of their firearms rules and school rules vary widely by state and local laws. Unfortunately, It takes careful research not to violate these rules is what it comes down to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed

See, that’s exactly the problem when somebody asks a question on this forum that goes out to people from different states. Gun laws in the US are a hodge-podge of cockamamie, illogical and arbitrary rules that have been cobbled together by ignorant legislators that know nothing about what they are passing and cannot be reconciled. For instance, carrying a gun into a church in your state may be fine, but in my state it is a misdemeanor that can get your permit revoked, and can get you jail time, unless you have the written permission of the head dude of the church.

Originally Posted by Sonnycowboy View Post

Sent from my SM-N950U using USA Carry mobile app
See, that’s exactly the problem when somebody asks a question on this forum that goes out to people from different states. Gun laws in the US are a hodge-podge of cockamamie, illogical and arbitrary rules that have been cobbled together by ignorant legislators that know nothing about what they are passing and cannot be reconciled. For instance, carrying a gun into a church in your state may be fine, but in my state it is a misdemeanor that can get your permit revoked, and can get you jail time, unless you have the written permission of the head dude of the church.

Rivoak has pointed out the danger of misleading other folks by responding to a legal question without adding which State the response pertains to and without cutting and pasting and/or providing a link to the actual law involved for that State.

Again I would strongly suggest folks research ALL THE LAWS! that pertain to owning and carrying a gun. ALL THE LAWS! from Federal to State to local ordinances including laws that aren't specifically gun law but can affect the possession/carrying of a gun like trespass laws or ordinances that ban guns from parks. And not just the laws for the State folks live in but the laws for every State they might visit.

Don't rely on what is read in an online forum. Go to the actual laws available from the State legislature(s). And if there is any confusion spend the money and talk to a gun savvy attorney. Or folks can hope the judge accepts the excuse "But Yer Honner! I read it online!".

Pretty certain that's not the case for both the USPS and VA gun free zones unless I'm misreading the signs which always say "property". If it's in their parking lot then you are in violation of their firearms rules and school rules vary widely by state and local laws. Unfortunately, It takes careful research not to violate these rules is what it comes down to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed
Well I checked with Law enforcement With then my state and that Seems to be pretty accurate.

Well I checked with Law enforcement With then my state and that Seems to be pretty accurate.

Carry a gun, even with a state issued permit, onto any PO parking lot in the United States is a felony.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...-says-u-s-appeals-court-idUSL1N0ZC2QF20150626

So, again, the post encouraging you to ignore GFZ laws, should be ignored unless you really want free housing and food at the federal penitentiary. Also, conviction of any felony means you will be banned from possessing a firearm for any reason for life.

Carry a gun, even with a state issued permit, onto any PO parking lot in the United States is a felony.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...-says-u-s-appeals-court-idUSL1N0ZC2QF20150626

So, again, the post encouraging you to ignore GFZ laws, should be ignored unless you really want free housing and food at the federal penitentiary. Also, conviction of any felony means you will be banned from possessing a firearm for any reason for life.

Concede...

Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. And I agree it sucks each state is different. I’m no lawyer ,but I get that laws vary by states, but the way things are with guns these days I feel like they should follow a federal law all together. Also that’d piss California politicians off [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

If possible get yourself a metal lock box as it is safer than a plastic gun case if your car God forbid gets broken into , So long as your in the parking lot of the school and disarm there should be no problem walking into the school .

Just carry your gun anyway. Concealed means concealed.

Exactly. Unless it’s in a place(or state) where it’s actually against the law to carry into- i.e, a place or state that has the weight of the law backing them, just say to hell with those goofy “violent bad guys welcome” signs and carry regardless. Don’t listen to those jackeeeded people who try to tell you any different, especially the ones who try so diligently hard to try and convince you that you’re “sneaking....” your gun into, razzing on you by trying to convince you that you shouldn’t be supporting these places with your business, and trying to make you think these beetleheaded, gun-hating establishments actually give a rat’s ass about your second amendment rights while they politely ask you to not bring your gun in there, and therefore you should care about their right to let bad guys in that you can’t defend yourself from if you go in there.

If you’re one of those people who wishes to not patronize these places with your business because of the said business’s stupidity, that’s fine. If it means that much to you by inconveniencing yourself to shop somewhere else and if it makes you feel that good by taking your business elsewhere, then by all means, do it. I don’t care, and I highly doubt anybody else does either. But don’t let some people try to convince you otherwise that this is what you’re supposed to do.

It is... a two-way street. These businesses don’t care about your rights so why should you care about their right to ban your carry protection from their establishment when they in return do nothing to ban the, “real... bad guy’s gun”?

As it’s been said, concealed means concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well yeah, those types of places- unless it’s allowed by whatever state you’re in, should be heeded because they are federal property. They’re not private property. But let’s face it- if there’s no post offices that actually use metal detectors, pat-downs or other means of searching upon entry then... well, how are they gonna know? But just know though, that if you’re caught in that place with a gun, it’s gonna be actual charges brought up against you, like you said. You won’t just simply be asked to leave, and then be faced with possibility of criminal trespass charges the same as some 7/11 owner would do if he sees that you carried a gun past his “robber’s welcome” sign.

But since it’s a post office- and uh, if you’re using a post office to get your mail- and ya can’t really “go somewhere else” like some people like to say, it’s still better to be judged by 12 than carried out by 6, especially if it just so happens that at the same time your gun is known, some crazed madman is in there as well who obviously intends to do harm.

Exactly. Unless it’s in a place(or state) where it’s actually against the law to carry into- i.e, a place or state that has the weight of the law backing them, just say to hell with those goofy “violent bad guys welcome” signs and carry regardless. Don’t listen to those jackeeeded people who try to tell you any different, especially the ones who try so diligently hard to try and convince you that you’re “sneaking....” your gun into, razzing on you by trying to convince you that you shouldn’t be supporting these places with your business, and trying to make you think these beetleheaded, gun-hating establishments actually give a rat’s ass about your second amendment rights while they politely ask you to not bring your gun in there, and therefore you should care about their right to let bad guys in that you can’t defend yourself from if you go in there.

If you’re one of those people who wishes to not patronize these places with your business because of the said business’s stupidity, that’s fine. If it means that much to you by inconveniencing yourself to shop somewhere else and if it makes you feel that good by taking your business elsewhere, then by all means, do it. I don’t care, and I highly doubt anybody else does either. But don’t let some people try to convince you otherwise that this is what you’re supposed to do.

It is... a two-way street. These businesses don’t care about your rights so why should you care about their right to ban your carry protection from their establishment when they in return do nothing to ban the, “real... bad guy’s gun”?

As it’s been said, concealed means concealed.

This thread is in regards to Michigan. In michigan those signs themselves carry the weight of law and you are immediately breaking it as soon as you walk into a place with it clearly marked.
Also in regards to churches here. I dont believe it is ok to carry unless the church forbids it. That is backwards thinking. I would suggest getting permission first. Pretty sure that's how its supposed to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This thread is in regards to Michigan. In michigan those signs themselves carry the weight of law and you are immediately breaking it as soon as you walk into a place with it clearly marked.
Also in regards to churches here. I dont believe it is ok to carry unless the church forbids it. That is backwards thinking. I would suggest getting permission first. Pretty sure that's how its supposed to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I know it is, and that’s a sad and unfortunate thing that there are states that can get involved with the charges as well for bringing a defensive gun into a “gun free zone” when the bad people of the world who intend to do harm on others don’t ask for permission, nor do they obey those signs. Actually prey on those signs because they know the law abiding people are gonna be following them, leaving less chance for someone to be a hero.

If you live in a state that gives these goofy places weight of the law then probably you’re only choices are to A, carry concealed anyway with the notion of rather being judged by twelve than carried out by six or B, secure your gun in your car or leave it home or C, go find a different place to shop and to worship at that welcomes your second amendment rights.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back