pistol caliber carbine

I'm not sure why you would do it.. BUT...

We just bought a Beretta U22 Neos .22LR..

It looks like they make a Carbine kit for it..

Like I said.. Can someone explain why this is a GREAT Idea for a .22LR??

2ij6nhu.jpg

Here is the Pistol as it is Standard..

2l8x5k1.jpg

I've been told that when shooting a .38 spl. from a carbine (.357/ .38 spl. lever rifle) that the .38 would actually lose velocity due to the (20 in.) long barrel. Can anyone confirm this? If true wouldn't that make that make the .38 spl. worthless for defense purposes fired from the rife?

Yes...

I was looking into a carbine in .45ACP for close range deer hunting. Researched that velocity increased up to about 15" of barrel length...after 15" of barrel, velocity began to drop again. Their test barrels went up to 24". That 24" barrel lost 82 fps from the same load shot from the 5" 1911. They had mentioned that most pistol calibers (non-magnum) would have the same effect. Also, this effect was more noticeable with the heavier for caliber bullet weights.

The most recent article I read about this was in December 2010 issue of "Handloader". Article was called "Barrel Length and the .45 ACP!"

I'm not sure why you would do it.. BUT...

We just bought a Beretta U22 Neos .22LR..

It looks like they make a Carbine kit for it..

Like I said.. Can someone explain why this is a GREAT Idea for a .22LR??

2ij6nhu.jpg

Here is the Pistol as it is Standard..

2l8x5k1.jpg

.22LR ammo is cheaper then 9mm or 40 S&W ammo. Now the only thing is what is the cost of the kit and gun?

U22 Neos Inox Stock No: JU2S4 Price: $375.00
Beretta U22 Neos Carbine Kit .22LR Stock No: JU22CK1 Price: $249.00

If it is to be successful It better be less then it is for a .22LR rifle and pistol bought separately. As my Sig Sauer 522 was only $500 after taxes After buying extra magazines, a red dot sight sight, a bore snake for cleaning and a case to carry it to the shooting range the price went to $650.

So after looking up the prices you can get one for what I got my Sig Sauer 522. Also the price of the U22 Neos was $275 so that would make it cheaper then my Sig 522.

I added most of the trinkets from the hi point website. Added about 150 to the cost. Well worth it to me. Havent seen any zombies since I got it. The word must be out..

I think that PCC's have a valid place in the hands of legal gun owners. They are handy, making the most out of pistol caliber velocity and accuracy. They are fun at the range and economical to shoot. They are very good for close quarters work in a tactical environment. The best part is that they fill that gap of 50-100 yds for tactical shooting.

I have a Ruger PC 4 in .40 S&W that I like. I don't care for Bill Rugers 10 round magazines though

I think that PCC's have a valid place in the hands of legal gun owners. They are handy, making the most out of pistol caliber velocity and accuracy. They are fun at the range and economical to shoot. They are very good for close quarters work in a tactical environment. The best part is that they fill that gap of 50-100 yds for tactical shooting.

I agree completely.

I've owned several over the years (Marlin Camp Carbines in 9mm and .45 ACP, a Winchester '94 Trapper in .45 Colt, a Rossi '92 SRC in .357Mag and a Uberti Winchester '73 in .45 Colt) and they are extremely fun shooting and accurate out to the 50-150 yards zone that is usually beyond a handgun's practical range.

I intend on expanding the collection as funds are available and I come across the guns. I want a '73 and '92 in .38WCF (.38-40), a couple '92's in .44, one solid frame in .44Mag and a takedown in .44 Special along with probably a '92 (maybe a '73) in .32WCF (.32-20). Then there's the project I've had running through my mind about finding one of the hard to find Uberti '66's in .44 Special and replacing the barrel and lifter to convert it to only shoot .44 Russian (the closest round presently available to the original .44 Henry Flat).

If properly loaded, most of the mid and large bore chamberings are quite capable of killing deer sized and smaller game reliably out to 75 to 100 yards if the shooter is capable of doing their part. With their heavier weight and added point of contact, many novice big bore handgun shooters find them far more comfortable shooting the magnum pistol calibers and/or heavier bullet weight full power loads than with a handgun.

In the home/self defense role, they maximize the potential of the pistol caliber rounds they shoot while staying in a handy package that is still maneuverable in tight quarters indoors.

Well, it's not the cheapest thing but I Love my .30 M1 Carbine!!!

In a SHTF scenario it is my wife's go-to rifle. I won't hesitate to pick it up though! It's light, accurate, has plenty of capacity w/ my 30rd mags, and within 50 yards it'll hit with enough energy to get the job done!!!! I trust it out to 100yds w/o question as well! 150yds is pushing the effectivness of the round....

But this is about close quarters use right :)

Just my .02

I have a couple combos.

First combo is a SUB-2000 9mm that takes Glock 17 Mags and it has been flawless. Nice thing about having the SUB-2000 and the Glock 17 is the magazine compatibility. I grab the carbine and the pistol and several mags and I don't have to worry about what mags I grabbed. They all work in both.

The second combo is a Ruger SP-101 and a Rossi Model 92 in .357 Magnum.

I like having PCC and pistols as sets. Gives you more options.

I used the information on the Ballistics by the inch website to help me choose ammo that would work well in both the pistols and the Carbines. I tested the ammo I carry myself to confirm my choices, those guys did a lot of work on the site and it is a great starting point to help you choose ammo.

I've been thinking about picking up the Hi-Point .45 carbine... I have a 1911 and an M1 Thompson, I think the Hi-Point could find a place. ;)

Sorry I am not a fan of pistol caliber carbines. When you have a gun that size you may as well go with a rifle caliber. Handguns are only meant to help you get to your main battle gun. Pistol calibers are at best adequate sometimes. Rifle calibers are much more effective. Heck, you can buy a shotgun that is a better battle gun at the same price. Just my.02

By the way I carried an UZI and trained people in their use.

Some of the new PPC are pretty cool... the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 folds in half, that is a neat trick for stowage. The magizines are the same as your pistol(if you work it out that way), they are smaller and lighter than AR or AK mags, so they take up less room. That's a plus! I think that if ones needs/situation requires something smaller than an AR/AK type platform, it's great! Everybody will have slightly different needs...

Of course, PPC aren't going to be 300yd shooters... but, they do provide a 100yd weapon with reasonable accuracy. Much better than lobbing 9mm from a 5" Glock... You won't get much in the way of penetration, at closer distances you'll see some benefits there... within 25yds, vehicle bodies will be penetrated easily. If you look at out of the ordinary PPCs, like a PPS-43... chambered in 7.62x25mm, you have increased penetration over 9mm/45acp at all comparable distances. I know, I know... a PPS-43 is a "sub-machincegun"... not in semi-auto only though.

I think that all weapons have their respective places... however, not everyone will have those "places" for weapons.

gunnerbob touched on a good point.

While pistol caliber carbines aren't optimal they do have a place and they can do a lot to simplify your supply chain if you’re on a tight budget.

I’m not a GLOCK owner so I don’t know model numbers but if I recall GLOCK makes a sub compact pistol and a full size pistol for which the full sized magazines are interchangeable and will fit in a pistol caliber carbine. You can purchase all three and have three guns for which you only need to buy 1 type of magazine and one type and caliber of round.

If CZ ever comes out with a pistol caliber carbine in .40 S&W that takes 75B magazines I’ll be on it like Jillian Michaels on a fat chick.

I’m not a GLOCK owner so I don’t know model numbers but if I recall GLOCK makes a sub compact pistol and a full size pistol for which the full sized magazines are interchangeable and will fit in a pistol caliber carbine. You can purchase all three and have three guns for which you only need to buy 1 type of magazine and one type and caliber of round.

Yes. In most cases, (exception is the G36, which will not accept other .45ACP Glock model magazines), the smallest Glock of any caliber will take the magazine of the largest. Also, there are models of the Kel-Tec Sub2000 (to get back on thread-track) that take Glock magazines.

I also believe the PCC has a definite role. I have a CX4 as my 'block gun', and did formerly own a Sub2000. There are places for those or the US-legal submachinegun variants such as the Vector Uzi in the counter-offensive scheme of things, no doubt about that.

Yes. In most cases, (exception is the G36, which will not accept other .45ACP Glock model magazines), the smallest Glock of any caliber will take the magazine of the largest. Also, there are models of the Kel-Tec Sub2000 (to get back on thread-track) that take Glock magazines.

I also believe the PCC has a definite role. I have a CX4 as my 'block gun', and did formerly own a Sub2000. There are places for those or the US-legal submachinegun variants such as the Vector Uzi in the counter-offensive scheme of things, no doubt about that.

I've looked at the CX4, shot a buddies once and liked it... what's your opinion of yours?

I've been told that when shooting a .38 spl. from a carbine (.357/ .38 spl. lever rifle) that the .38 would actually lose velocity due to the (20 in.) long barrel. Can anyone confirm this? If true wouldn't that make that make the .38 spl. worthless for defense purposes fired from the rife?

Fired from a revolver, the .38 would lose velocity due to the barrel/cylinder gap. Fired from a carbine, I would expect that you may see at least factory velocities, and maybe a small gain in bullet speed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back