Picky indecisive guy need help

big treble

in the app process of getting a permit. I currently have about 7 handguns none I feel would be condusive to conceal carry.

Where do I start, is their any guide info. I'n not even sure if I want a wheel gun or SA. and am concearned when I find the gun I like I wont be able to find a holster that will fit my body and style.

of my two 9's one is a sigma(i Know) with a 30lb trigger pull, which when pointed at an attackers abdomen would probably graze his right shoulder. the other is a SR9 in which has a much better trigger pull, however seems the safety could click off easily. I'd like the reliability/accuracy of a DA/SA revolver, but obviously not crazy of the capacity issue. I have dies for most rimmed handgun cartridges, and felt if I got a revolver it might as well be a 357 and I can practice with anything.

I'd am prepared to pay for a better quality Semi auto, but feel I could get by with a medium quality revolver(Rossi, Charter) I just don't want to buy 4 guns to get the right one. Haven't found a FFL that will let me test drive handguns with many options in WI

I dont claim to wealthy, but could afford to buy a High end Kimber, just don,t know if I can justify it. I've had a G21, didnt care for the thicker grips of a dble stack, also had a Springfield full size 1911A1 which i liked just not sure of the size, weight, and Mag capacity of a carry model.

Believe it or not this indecision was one of the reasons I've never applied before. Where can I go for help, for Rice Cakes I feel like I need a counselor.

IDk maybe I'll just stick with a knife.

I would advise you (and I'm no expert) to go and check out the guns you might be interested in using for concealed carry, try each with whatever type holster you want to carry in, and see which one(s) feel the best to you. I have just gotten a Ruger LC9 9MM pistol and so far I REALLY like the feel of it while carrying it concealed. For any larger frame and capacity revolvers and pistols you might be considering, try each one and see which feels right to you. I'd also recommend giving some real consideration as to how long it takes to draw and get each one into action from the concealed carry position you feel most comfortable with as well. From your post, you might have to look for a gun store that would allow you to do this in store though.
Link Removed

sounds like you know a few things on guns I 2nd the lc9 , And also the glock 26 (9mm) glock 27 (.40) are good choices. Congrats on getting your ccw, I hope you are not from NM I just got my permit and droped off the paperwork 119 days ago.

Try going to a range where you can rent and shoot all the models you may be interested in. Now myself, I'm partial to SA because of the higher capacity. I also prefer the striker fired models like Glock's, S&W M&P's and the Springfield XD's. Yes, I too have a Sigma. I prefer these types because they are safe and easy to shoot. I'm not sure where you live in Wisconsin, but a quick web search will get you the names of ranges that will allow you to rent and shoot.

I've had my lc9 for a couple months and conceal carry it every day. I absolutely love it. Never one problem with it and very accurate. (It helps with the lasermax lol) I definitely recommend.

Take a look at a Sig Sauer 250. They come in full, compact and sub-compact models, and in the following calibers : 45 acp, 40 s&w, 357 Sig, 9 mm and 380 acp. The 250 is a modular gun in that the trigger assembly is interchangeable between all all of the above frames and calibers. This gives you the option of changing calibers and frame size by buying X-change kits which cost less than buying a whole new firearm. There is no external safety and the trigger is DAO. The trigger pull is very smooth and breaks at around 6 pounds. Here's a link for more info:

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p250.aspx

Last edited:
Before buying my Sig P229 to carry everyday, I used a S&W 357 Model 66. Never fired an semi-auto. I highly recommend finding the range that rents guns. Try before you buy. I bought the Sig because it felt better than the others. Plus I like the DA/SA trigger with a decocker.

Carrying a fullsize 1911 in my experience is great. nice and slim. The only thing is the weight, so I would recommend a good gun belt. I also carry a H&K USPc which is much lighter but not as slim (close though). Anyways, both are very nice to carry.

I too love my Ruger LC9, which means I'm making progress in therapy and getting better! (I use to love my tractor!)
Link Removed

I also carry a full size 1911, as it is what I shoot the best and am most comfortable with. YES, its heavy, but with a great belt and holster you don't even know its there most of the time, and I carry IWB. Don't worry about the safety too much, I have never had mine move. It all comes down to what you are willing to "sacrifice" to carry a particular gun i.e. weight,size,type of clothing.

"of my two 9's one is a sigma(i Know) with a 30lb trigger pull, which when pointed at an attackers abdomen would probably graze his right shoulder. the other is a SR9 in which has a much better trigger pull, however seems the safety could click off easily."

I have never heard of a gun with a 30 lb. trigger pull. Trigger pull is one thing you can check in the store before you purchase. Rack it, point it, and pull the trigger. If you can not hold it on target without any ammo, you won't be able to with ammo. For close to 20 years I managed to conceal a compact Glock 19. Now that I am retired, I want something smaller, because I have less chance of needing it. I carry a Kahr PM9 but it has a long double action pull. If you don't like that, you can buy a single action semi-auto with a safety. You have to decide. No one else can do it for you.

I was just kidding about the 30 lbs, but it is the heaviest DA I have ever pulled. Actually I believe an article had scaled one once and claimed it was 10 lbs. Never had any malfunctions, maybe I will see if I can polish the sear to make a difference. Thanks to all your help, next step is to find a range in the Midwest that rents equipment. If anyone knows of any, I'm on God's Country side of Dubuque IA.

All are good posts... but I recommend you try a Bersa ThunderPro 9mm UC... It's a medium sized compact weapon..., feels good in the hand, highly reliable, not as pricey as some other SA... Just another 2 cents worth... :eek:)

Honestly the decision as to what you'll carry is a matter of personal preference but I can definitely suggest a few options. There is the Glock 26, Glock 19, Ruger SR9C, M&P9c, and Springfield Armory XDm9c just to name a few. Of course all those also come in a 40 S&W variant as well. You'll find these weapons to all have a decent magazine capacity and plenty of power should you ever need.

If you're one of the people who feel you absolutely HAVE to carry the biggest bullet you can then there are several 45 caliber options out there for you. If you don't mind the double stack 45ACP automatics (though your original post indicated you may) you could go with the Glock 30, M&P45c, or XDm 45. If you find those to be too bulky for your liking then why not give a Glock 36 or Springfield Armory XDs a chance? Both of these weapons are single stack and pack a powerful punch with the 45acp round. Always remember though, the lighter you go the more stout your recoil and with those smaller magazine capacities you'd better make your shots count!

Have you given any thought as to how you'd be carrying? The easiest and most efficient location to carry is somewhere along the waistline and either one of the aforementioned weapons would fit the bill nicely. If carrying one of the compact models you could probably get away with a good high riding OWB holster and decent gun belt. Of course you could probably get away with carrying a larger gun if you opt to go IWB as it will keep the weapon tighter to your body (effectively concealing the grip) and will keep the barrel from protruding from under your shirt.

If I may just chime in for a second about your Ruger SR9. I occasionally carry a Ruger SR40c either IWB or OWB as I see fit and have never had any issues with my safety engaging or disengaging itself. You may find that you already have a pretty decent carry gun there if you just give it a chance. Two holsters that I can recommend are Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB and the Don Hume 721OT for OWB.

Respectfully, I submit that you do need to visit a counselor. Inability to make decisions can make your entire life miserable...not to mention that it might really cost your life if you're involved in a real conflict.

My forty year old son suffers with simple decisions every day. He has to ponder whether, or not, to have a baked potato or mashed at a restaurant, for example. He's a college graduate (liberal arts) who has been in counseling for years. There is no way he should be carrying a firearm.

in the app process of getting a permit. I currently have about 7 handguns none I feel would be condusive to conceal carry.

Where do I start, is their any guide info. I'n not even sure if I want a wheel gun or SA. and am concearned when I find the gun I like I wont be able to find a holster that will fit my body and style.

of my two 9's one is a sigma(i Know) with a 30lb trigger pull, which when pointed at an attackers abdomen would probably graze his right shoulder. the other is a SR9 in which has a much better trigger pull, however seems the safety could click off easily. I'd like the reliability/accuracy of a DA/SA revolver, but obviously not crazy of the capacity issue. I have dies for most rimmed handgun cartridges, and felt if I got a revolver it might as well be a 357 and I can practice with anything.

I'd am prepared to pay for a better quality Semi auto, but feel I could get by with a medium quality revolver(Rossi, Charter) I just don't want to buy 4 guns to get the right one. Haven't found a FFL that will let me test drive handguns with many options in WI

I dont claim to wealthy, but could afford to buy a High end Kimber, just don,t know if I can justify it. I've had a G21, didnt care for the thicker grips of a dble stack, also had a Springfield full size 1911A1 which i liked just not sure of the size, weight, and Mag capacity of a carry model.

Believe it or not this indecision was one of the reasons I've never applied before. Where can I go for help, for Rice Cakes I feel like I need a counselor.

IDk maybe I'll just stick with a knife.

If you really already own 7 handguns the you already have 7 Concealed Carry guns...all you need is the right holster.

Why don't you start by listing what guns you HAVE and get opinions on carry options for those guns? Now if this is just a reason to get more guns then go for it but I think you could probably carry with one of your current choices

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

fuller
H&R 32 boot, I've shot, just don't trust
River, mark I, Mark IIII, Blackhawk 357 SuperRedHawk 44mag and the sigma and SR9.

All good post. And thank you very much.
I have a serpa paddle holster that I wear around the property with the sigma, and feel I need more concealment, never tried a IWB holster and not sure how it'll affect my love handles. I always need to have not shirt tucked anyway. I don't feel I need a 45 but hesitant about a 380. I'll keep looking and try to find a place to test drive them.

I will heed all suggestions thoroughly.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back