Phoenix Pastor Draws Protests After Telling Church He Prays for Obama's Death

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
A Phoenix-area pastor has started to draw protesters to his congregation after he delivered a sermon titled, "Why I Hate Barack Obama," and told his parishioners that he prays for President Obama's death.
Link Removed
Pastor Steven Anderson stood by his sermon in an interview with MyFOXPhoenix, which reports that the pastor continues to encourage his parishioners to join him in praying for the president's death.

"I hope that God strikes Barack Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy and I hope it happens today," he told MyFOXPhoenix on Sunday. He called his message "spiritual warfare" and said he does not condone killing.

But a small crowd of protesters gathered around his church Sunday, calling Anderson's words "incomprehensible." And MyFOXPhoenix reported that the sermon, which has drawn widespread attention, led to death threats against the pastor.

Anderson's inflammatory message stems in part from Obama's abortion-rights stance.

In Anderson's controversial sermon, delivered at his Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe before Obama arrived for a speech in Phoenix earlier in the month, the pastor said he wants the president to "melt like a snail" with salt on it.

"I'm gonna pray that he dies and goes to hell when I go to bed tonight. That's what I'm gonna pray," he told his congregation.

The last time fierce opposition to Obama's abortion position drew widespread attention was when Obama delivered the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame.

The Anderson sermon also drew concern after it was reported that one man carrying an assault rifle outside the Phoenix arena where Obama spoke was a member of Anderson's church.

To Obey is better than Sacrifice!

He should draw protests:angry:... If he is a Christian Pastor, then he should preach what the Bible says!

The bible says::pleasantry:
1 Timothy 1-3
1) I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2) for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3) This is good, and pleases God our Savior

Here is aLink Removed around the time of President Obama's coming to office...
It is easy to do what God asks us to do when things are going the way WE think things should go.. But God wants our obedience at all times.
As it the Bible says::pleasantry:
1 Samuel 15:22 (New International Version)
But Samuel replied:
"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

It may be hard to pray for President Obama for many of you, but that is what God has called you to do, and who can turn his heart, but God???

The question is... NOW - do you OBEY???

I would not stand in front of a church and say I am praying for any ones death and I sure would not wish eternal hell on anyone. I will say that Obama with many or his policies and decisions has come up against the will of God and as Christ told Paul on the road to Damascus, it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. Acts 9:5. IMHO.

I beleive that the Bible directs us to pray for our leaders. I pray earnestly that the President of the United States will open his eyes to the Father in Heaven and amend his ways. I pray for this country and its leaders. I pray that this country does not fall to the wayside as Rome did. We are certianly on the same path. Pray for our country and its leaders. That they would lead by example.repent and lead this country as our founding fathers envisioned. This nation was founded on Judeo Christian values. How did we stray so far away?

That's a sad, sick story on many levels. Never thought I'd 'agree' with pro-bHo protestors... but this 'pastor' isn't representing the Christ-following Church well at all. Again, we'll all get painted with the same brush. (I think this guy received the sensationalist coverage he sought.)

That joker isn't much of a "Pastor" if he's filled with hate, and encouraging his congregation to join him in hating... far from following Christ, and thereby UN-Christian. Sounds more like a wolf in fool's clothing to me.

+ 1 with HootmonSccy. Honoring and obeying God is the key - not getting wrapped around the axle with emotional, political, situational, temporal circumstances, no matter how bad they "feel" or look. The fact that God is God, and He isn't "surprised" by anything happening down here, as no one - not even bHo - has authority or power NOT given to him from above. The real power and real control isn't in DC, and that's what encourages me when the media paints nasty pics for us.

The "big plan" unfolds right on time, right on schedule, just as it should - daily. Very exciting for some, while very scary for others.

Link Removed

A controversial Southern Baptist minister in California known for his habit of praying for the deaths of his enemies has announced that he has expanded his list of targets for divine wrath to include President Barack Obama.

The Rev. Wiley Drake of the First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park often urges supporters to offer “imprecatory prayers” – a type of curse to cause death and misfortune – against his perceived enemies. Drake unleashed such prayers against Americans United and specific staff members in August 2007 after AU reported him to the Internal Revenue Service for partisan politicking.

Drake made the announcement about Obama while appearing on Alan Colmes’ nationally syndicated radio show June 2. Drake had issued a statement claiming that his imprecatory prayers for the death of slain Kansas abortion provider George Tiller had been answered, and Colmes invited him on to discuss the matter.

During the interview, Drake told Colmes he was also praying for Obama’s death.

“So you’re praying for the death of the president of the United States?” an incredulous Colmes asked.

“Yes,” Drake responded. “I think it’s appropriate to pray the Word of God.”

Threatening the president might draw the attention of the Secret Service and the FBI, but Drake said he has no fears.

“I’m not saying anything,” Drake remarked. “What I am doing is repeating what God is saying, and if that puts me on somebody’s list, then I’ll just have to be on their list.”

Colmes, still seemingly stunned, asked the question again: “You would like the president of the United States to die?”

Answered Drake, “If he does not turn to God and does not turn his life around, I am asking God to enforce imprecatory prayers that are throughout the Scripture that would cause him death, that’s correct.

“This whole concept that we’re always to pray little, nice, soft, fluffy prayers – that we’re not to pray imprecatory prayer – has been something that just, in all honesty, that Southern Baptists have lost, and we need to regain imprecatory prayer,” Drake continued. “It is in the Bible, and we are proud to say as Southern Baptists that we believe the book. You’ve got to believe the whole book, brother, or you don’t believe any of it.”

Southern Baptist leaders were quick to try to distance themselves from Drake, who served as the denomination’s second vice president in 2006-07.

Richard Land, the SBC’s top lobbyist in Washington, told USA Today, “Wiley Drake is far out of the mainstream. In fact, he’s in a drainage ditch somewhere.”

Link Removed

A controversial Southern Baptist minister in California known for his habit of praying for the deaths of his enemies has announced that he has expanded his list of targets for divine wrath to include President Barack Obama.

The Rev. Wiley Drake of the First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park often urges supporters to offer “imprecatory prayers” – a type of curse to cause death and misfortune – against his perceived enemies.

I thing Rev. Wiley Drake has swayed my opinion.. With his "throughout scripture" quote, who could argue??

I think I'm starting my Imprecatory Prayer list... #1 on my list.. Rev. Wiley Drake.. That's my whole list.. When he dies, I'll rip up the list and move on.. HEY - I'm just living out the golden rule for the Rev.. Treating him like he is treating others!

What does the Bible say??? They will know us for our LOVE, one for another... Hey Rev., Where is your Christian Love???

Maybe he should go back and read:
James 4:11-12 (New International Version)

11) Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 12) There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?

IMHO

I beleive that the Bible directs us to pray for our leaders. I pray earnestly that the President of the United States will open his eyes to the Father in Heaven and amend his ways. I pray for this country and its leaders. I pray that this country does not fall to the wayside as Rome did. We are certianly on the same path. Pray for our country and its leaders. That they would lead by example.repent and lead this country as our founding fathers envisioned. This nation was founded on Judeo Christian values. How did we stray so far away?
I certainly applaud this opinion. For someone to preach that they wish a leader to be killed is getting very close to what the radical muslims have done. Preached hate and terrorism in the name of religion. It is a violation of the commands of Christ.

I am not a fan of Barack Obama, and I certainly was no fan of Bush or Clinton either. But I would never wish for them to die. Was it not Jesus who told us to love our enemies? This guy is no better than Jeremiah Wright.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back