Philly Daily News - Obama breeds fear, fear breeds gun sales, gun sales breed death

51percent

Jill Porter: Fear breeds gun sales - and gun sales breed death | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/18/2009

Jill Porter? Where do these people come from?

COLD-HEARTED savage has murdered another Philadelphia police officer, and the city buckles, once again, in horror and disbelief. It's an unrelenting plague, and its agent of death is - guns.

And the horrifying fact is that more guns than ever are being purchased in this country as uneasy people arm themselves in fear: Fear of a reversal of gun rights under President Obama. Fear for their safety in an economy that drives people to desperation.

Sure, I know: many are legal guns, bought by responsible gun owners who don't kill people, blah blah blah.

But my math is simple: The more guns in circulation, the more that find their way to the dregs of society who casually assassinate cops.

And there are more guns in circulation than ever.

No No, Jill: Gun sales breeds protected people..

Guns are not the agents of death - criminals are. The only fear is in your own little liberal mind.

I'll bet you a million dollars that the cop was killed by a criminal thug who had no legal standing to own a gun but had one anyway. Criminals don't buy guns at gun stores after an extensive background check.

This article was nothing more than frightened rhetoric and emotional hand-wringing over guns, when it should be more focused on criminal control. Taking away MY guns would NOT have prevented this.

Silly gun grabbing liberals...ya can't help but feel sorry for the dumbasses :girl_wacko:

Jill Porter: Fear breeds gun sales - and gun sales breed death | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/18/2009

Jill Porter? Where do these people come from?

COLD-HEARTED savage has murdered another Philadelphia police officer, and the city buckles, once again, in horror and disbelief. It's an unrelenting plague, and its agent of death is - guns.

And the horrifying fact is that more guns than ever are being purchased in this country as uneasy people arm themselves in fear: Fear of a reversal of gun rights under President Obama. Fear for their safety in an economy that drives people to desperation.

Sure, I know: many are legal guns, bought by responsible gun owners who don't kill people, blah blah blah.

But my math is simple: The more guns in circulation, the more that find their way to the dregs of society who casually assassinate cops.

And there are more guns in circulation than ever.

No No, Jill: Gun sales breeds protected people..

Guns are not the agents of death - criminals are. The only fear is in your own little liberal mind.

I'll bet you a million dollars that the cop was killed by a criminal thug who had no legal standing to own a gun but had one anyway. Criminals don't buy guns at gun stores after an extensive background check.

This article was nothing more than frightened rhetoric and emotional hand-wringing over guns, when it should be more focused on criminal control. Taking away MY guns would NOT have prevented this.

Me thinks you should post your comment on the article page.....

There are more BGs on the street because the bleeding-heart liberals won't send them to prison or death row for doing the crimes they commit.

Do the math: the pplulation of the U.S. (and the world, for that matter) has increased a WHOLE LOT! (Duh!) More people, more crime. And we pass more laws instead of enforcing the ones we already have on the books, so more criminals.

Then we arrest someone who committed a crime with a gun, and in most states, this is a mandatory prison term of at least 10-20 years. But in order to "speed things through the legal system," we let the defense lawyer plea it down to a non-gun offense, and the BG walks after a year or so, or even after "time served."

So more BGs on the street, who could care less that they are breaking the law by having an illegal gun, bought in some back alley.

And if stopping people from having guns would stop gun crime, then we'll soon hear that gun shops should be illegal, because BGs can rob gun shops. Well, then dis-arm the cops, because BGs steal guns from cops. And we can't let any of these miscreants have ANY access to guns.

Give it up, lady! Soon you'll be outlawing cars, airplanes, motorcycles, butcher knives, blenders, and table saws, because, by gawd, somebody could get hurt, or even killed, using those things. And our government is duty-bound to protect us against ourselves. I have a suggestion for her - go live in Asia, where the government takes care of every aspect of your life. That way, you don't need to be responsible for anything. :angry:

There are more BGs on the street because the bleeding-heart liberals won't send them to prison or death row for doing the crimes they commit.

Do the math: the pplulation of the U.S. (and the world, for that matter) has increased a WHOLE LOT! (Duh!) More people, more crime. And we pass more laws instead of enforcing the ones we already have on the books, so more criminals.

Then we arrest someone who committed a crime with a gun, and in most states, this is a mandatory prison term of at least 10-20 years. But in order to "speed things through the legal system," we let the defense lawyer plea it down to a non-gun offense, and the BG walks after a year or so, or even after "time served."

So more BGs on the street, who could care less that they are breaking the law by having an illegal gun, bought in some back alley.

And if stopping people from having guns would stop gun crime, then we'll soon hear that gun shops should be illegal, because BGs can rob gun shops. Well, then dis-arm the cops, because BGs steal guns from cops. And we can't let any of these miscreants have ANY access to guns.

Give it up, lady! Soon you'll be outlawing cars, airplanes, motorcycles, butcher knives, blenders, and table saws, because, by gawd, somebody could get hurt, or even killed, using those things. And our government is duty-bound to protect us against ourselves. I have a suggestion for her - go live in Asia, where the government takes care of every aspect of your life. That way, you don't need to be responsible for anything. :angry:

As always.... a very intelligent response!! I really enjoy your posts PC!

Prison reform, too.

IMHO, part of the issue would be a need to make prisons truly unpleasant places to be. First, I would separate violent criminals from non-violent offenders. Non-violent offenders would be able to stay at minimum security facilities with privileges like communal meals, communal exercise, access to television, etc.

For violent offenders, they get a cell of their own, however small we need to make it. Meals are served in the cell. You throw it at the server, you lose that meal. With good behavior you get the ability to attend classes, either through remedial GED systems, or the state college system. For college classes, you may only major in fields that would allow for a person with a violent felony to secure a job (i.e. no education majors, because schools will not hire felons convicted of violent crimes to teach). No more television, period. No communal time outside of classes. No opportunity for an inmate to attend "prison university" in order to learn how better to terrorize the population after leaving the facility. The lack of communal time will also severely reduce or eliminate the transmission of HIV while locked up (no opportunity).

Finally, and probably most contentious: No visitors other than your attorney. If you violate someone else, you do not get to see your family or friends while you are in. Letters, pictures; okay. F2F, not until you get out.

State Budget requests

~IMHO, part of the issue would be a need to make prisons truly unpleasant places to be.~
+1 on this Mr 007. This issue has to be addressed. There is something wrong when It is a badge of honor to be a parolee and to be looked up to in your community.
Our state budgets can not continue support these style of country clubs.
Michigan HR4437 posted today (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billintroduced/House/pdf/2009-HIB-4437.pdf) for the Michigan Department of Corrections is truely frightning.
I could rant on about this prison thang and the 8th Amendment. When is it concidered cruel and unusal not to have TVs? :mad:

I once read that punishment must be cruel and unusual to be effective. If it isn't unusual, it's just another day for the BG, if it's not cruel, how is it punishment? The trick is in the DEGREE of cruelty applied. Swatting a puppy for peeing on the floor is cruel and unusual (to the puppy), but it is a measured response. Shooting the puppy for the same offense, is overboard.

I am a liberal gun owner who lives near Philadelphia. Yeah, I know... liberals are :pleasantry:gun grabbers:pleasantry:.

However, the problem isn't right wing or left wing, as I and many of my gun owning friends (most are liberals!) can attest to. The problem is the inherent fear of guns, and the problems with the criminal justice system. It isn't the "bleeding heart liberals" or the "gun crazy republicans", but the ENTIRE system.

When a guy who grows a few plants in his basement can get more time in jail than a guy who robs a 7-11 with a gun and shoots the clerk, something is seriously wrong.

Don't like cops getting shot on city streets? Don't let them out of jail. Let the victimless criminals out.

I am a liberal gun owner who lives near Philadelphia. Yeah, I know... liberals are :pleasantry:gun grabbers:pleasantry:.

However, the problem isn't right wing or left wing, as I and many of my gun owning friends (most are liberals!) can attest to. The problem is the inherent fear of guns, and the problems with the criminal justice system. It isn't the "bleeding heart liberals" or the "gun crazy republicans", but the ENTIRE system.

When a guy who grows a few plants in his basement can get more time in jail than a guy who robs a 7-11 with a gun and shoots the clerk, something is seriously wrong.

Don't like cops getting shot on city streets? Don't let them out of jail. Let the victimless criminals out.

I agree with this! The non violent criminals need to be let out if they need room. Had that monster in Kalifornia not been out on parole, four Oakland police officers would still be alive! I see Kalifornia's tough gun control laws worked their magic here.... yeah right! NOT!!!

I agree with this! The non violent criminals need to be let out if they need room. Had that monster in Kalifornia not been out on parole, four Oakland police officers would still be alive! I see Kalifornia's tough gun control laws worked their magic here.... yeah right! NOT!!!

Criminals will ALWAYS....let me repeat ALWAYS....have guns. I don't care what laws are passed. 99% of the criminal's probably don't even know about firearms law, its a tool they use for poor excuse for a job (my opinion). Taking away law abiding citizen's firearms will NOT stop crimes from happening. Some people (like the writer of the article) have their heads so far up their A**, they can't see the light of day!

...Taking away law abiding citizen's firearms will NOT stop crimes from happening. Some people (like the writer of the article) have their heads so far up their A**, they can't see the light of day!

I live close enough to Philly that my nightly news stations are all Philly based. Every single day, I hear stories about people getting shot, stabbed, robbed, raped, etc. It's a shame for those who have to deal with that crap day in and day out.

Yet the city's response is to try to limit or eliminate guns in the city. Mayor Nutter (yes, that really is his name!) tried to go around the state's firearm law and had two of the provisions shot down immediately (the other three are pending). In other words, though, his approach to rising violent crime is to disarm those who would legally be able to defend themselves and others. How insane could you possibly be to think that disarming legal citizens would DROP the crime rate?

As the saying goes "you can't fix stupid". Some people will never get it no matter what the facts are.

IMHO, part of the issue would be a need to make prisons truly unpleasant places to be

I agree with this 100%. Make it miserable. Our disciplinary actions are child's play compared to other countries.
Why do you think countries like Japan and Singapore have lower crime rates? Caning, lashing, fish heads & rice aren't appealing to most. If U.S. prisons are overcrowded, it's obviously not viewed as such a bad place for repeat offenders. They're fed, they can work out, and they can get educated at the expense of the public. Unfortunately, the U.S. has taken a kinder/weaker stance on criminals. Take it back to the days of making big rocks into little rocks.

I agree with this 100%. Make it miserable. Our disciplinary actions are child's play compared to other countries.
Why do you think countries like Japan and Singapore have lower crime rates? Caning, lashing, fish heads & rice aren't appealing to most. If U.S. prisons are overcrowded, it's obviously not viewed as such a bad place for repeat offenders. They're fed, they can work out, and they can get educated at the expense of the public. Unfortunately, the U.S. has taken a kinder/weaker stance on criminals. Take it back to the days of making big rocks into little rocks.

exactly, that's why you hear about people getting out and commiting a crime to get back in just so they don't have to worry about work, and money and because they get three hots and a cot. Prison should be a scary place. Hel, even back in the day they had a prison just for people with debt, murderers and rapists died. end of story

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back