Pharmacist Who Shot Man Robbing Store Charged With Murder

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Pharmacist Who Shot Man Robbing Store Charged With MurderThursday, May 28, 2009

Link Removed

OKLAHOMA CITY — An Oklahoma City pharmacist who shot and killed a 16-year-old would-be robber was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder.

Jerome Ersland, 57, was being held without bail in the Oklahoma County Jail.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said in an afternoon news conference that Ersland was justified in shooting Antwun Parker once in the head on May 19. But Prater said Ersland went too far when he shot Parker five more times in the abdomen while Parker lay unconscious on the floor.

Ersland's attorney, Irven Box, said Ersland was protecting himself and two women inside the pharmacy.

"I think he did something in his eyes that protected both himself and two ladies in there," Box said. "He put an end to the threat."

Box said he thinks a jury will exonerate Ersland.

At an afternoon news conference, Prater showed a security video in which two men burst into the pharmacy and one is shot.

Ersland is seen chasing the second man outside before returning, walking past Parker to get a second gun then going back to Parker and opening fire.

The charge alleges Ersland shot Parker while he was incapacitated and lying on his back. Ersland's account of the incident doesn't match the video or the evidence collected at the scene, according to an affidavit written by Oklahoma City Police Detective David Jacobson.

Jacobson said the suspect who ran away from the pharmacy was armed, but no gun was found near Parker.

"Ersland shows no concern for his safety as he walks by Parker, and turns his back to Parker as he walks behind the pharmacy counter," Jacobson said. "Ersland is then seen to put the pistol he is carrying on the counter, and retrieve a second pistol from a drawer."

Ersland used this pistol to shoot Parker on the ground, the detective said.

He said an autopsy determined that Parker had been shot in the head, but was still alive when he was shot in the stomach area and died from those injuries.

Returning and retreiving a second gun to pump five more rounds into an already incapacitated suspect is not going to look good to a jury. And then lying about the incident to detectives...:nono: He may get the capital murder charge reduced but I seriously doubt he will walk away clean.

Returning and retreiving a second gun to pump five more rounds into an already incapacitated suspect is not going to look good to a jury. And then lying about the incident to detectives...:nono: He may get the capital murder charge reduced but I seriously doubt he will walk away clean.

Agreed. The purpose should have been to eliminate the danger which was accomplished with the first shot. The jury will probably go very hard on him.

What the heck was he thinking?

He wasn't thinking. My take is always play the victim. Always be the victim in the situation. When the guy was down, then he retrieved another gun and pupmed several more rounds into the downed man, he became the aggressor in a revenge motivated act.

He was just pissed the the other guy got away and took out his frustrations on the 1st guy..
He is in trouble, big time..
He knows there is video tape.. His emotions got the best of him and the Jury is going to not go easy on him...
He needs a good "expert" to indicate that the kid would have died from his injuries anywayz..
Otherwise.. :hang3:

Unfortunately part of having a gun is not allowing your emotions to control your actions.

This fool simply would not want me on his jury!

I saw that on Fox News this morning. He was good to go until he got the second firearm and pumped more rounds in him. Adrenaline and anger got the best of him.

Vdeo of the shooting. The fellow is in big trouble after this video.

www dot liveleak.com/view?i=6c3_1243536466

He was just pissed the the other guy got away and took out his frustrations on the 1st guy..
He is in trouble, big time..
He knows there is video tape.. His emotions got the best of him and the Jury is going to not go easy on him...
He needs a good "expert" to indicate that the kid would have died from his injuries anywayz..
Otherwise.. :hang3:

I believe I read that the autopsy showed he died from the stomach wounds.

FN, it's ok to link to that site.

Just click on the top header. "LiveLeak.com - Pharmacist Guns Down Robber " it will open in another window.

OK - I tried linking it several different ways and did not think about being able to click on the top border. I am used to the youtube type embedding. Next time I will know. :wacko:

Anyone else notice that according to the time on the video he fired the 5 shots from a P3AT in 1.5 seconds. I don't know that I can fire 5 in that amount of time from mine. That was impressive.

I'm going to reserve judgement. The video shown doesn't indicate whether the guy was wriggling on the ground for something or not.

I will ALWAYS side with a defensive shooter unless video shows otherwise. Dude could've been passed out and started coming to when he went for the other gun. Robbers get no pity from me.

I'm going to reserve judgement. The video shown doesn't indicate whether the guy was wriggling on the ground for something or not.

I will ALWAYS side with a defensive shooter unless video shows otherwise. Dude could've been passed out and started coming to when he went for the other gun. Robbers get no pity from me.

I have to agree with you. Something in the video doesn't seem right. It looks like he got the second firearm after he emptied his first one and walked over to the BG and checked him. I didn't see any sign that he fired the second firearm. After going back and looking at it several times the video is not conclusive. I guess the autopsy will tell the story.

I'm reserving judgement also. Defense attorneys are notorious for getting off real bad dudes. This guy started out well but in the heat of the moment...

Remember the guy in Texas that shot and killed the 2 illegals with the 12ga? Everyone said he was doomed. Experts proved differently.

I'll wait and see.

The more I look at that video the more questions I have. If he fired off 5 rounds in his stomach where is the recoil in his arm and shoulder. Where is the brass? It should have been flying all over the place. All I can say is that was a quick five rounds he fired. Like FN1910 pointed out, he fired the 5 shots from a P3AT in 1.5 seconds.

to stop the threat

Shoot to stop the threat.

First off he did pretty good to get a head shot on the first try.

But honestly, I would like to hear his argument for this kid being a threat to him while the kid was on the ground unconscious.

I will be seeing this dude in A&R soon.

It was a good shoot. Well, right up to the point where the pharmacist went back to retrieve a second gun and proceeded to execute the downed BG. The dude just capped him like he was killing a dog. At that point, it became cold-blooded murder - not self-defense.

Unless that bad guy was pointing a gun at him and threatening his life, there's no way the pharmacist can justify shooting him a second time. :nono:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back