Permit to carry for active duty

BruceAlmighty

Hello all, just joined the forum a few minutes ago. Poked around for just a minute but didn't find anything in regards to active duty guys getting a permit--if I missed it please let me know.

I'm a Texas resident with a Minnesota drivers license stationed in Kansas. I just moved here from New York where I had a New York permit to carry, but as you know NY doesn't really have reciprocity with anyone. I'm now looking at getting a permit to carry in Kansas, but wonder if I'm better off getting the permit in Minnesota (family lives there so it's a more convenient trip than Texas) instead? It also looks like an additional permit in Utah is worth the effort.

The more I search on the net, the more confused I get on which permits are valid in which states, let alone trying to figure out which state I'm a resident of...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks--

Bruce

check out Handgunlaw site. Just click on a state and a new window will open showing what states honor it's permit (map) and what states it honors (list)...

there are a couple states that honor NY....

Good info there.

Hello all, just joined the forum a few minutes ago. Poked around for just a minute but didn't find anything in regards to active duty guys getting a permit--if I missed it please let me know.

I'm a Texas resident with a Minnesota drivers license stationed in Kansas. I just moved here from New York where I had a New York permit to carry, but as you know NY doesn't really have reciprocity with anyone. I'm now looking at getting a permit to carry in Kansas, but wonder if I'm better off getting the permit in Minnesota (family lives there so it's a more convenient trip than Texas) instead? It also looks like an additional permit in Utah is worth the effort.

The more I search on the net, the more confused I get on which permits are valid in which states, let alone trying to figure out which state I'm a resident of...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks--

Bruce
i can't rember who posted this(all active duty military who want to oughht to be able to anywhere in the country on there military i.d. cards)

As mrjam2jab said, Handgunlaw.us is a good place for reciprocity lists, and I will add, explaining the procedures for acquiring permits.

I actually prefer the reciprocity map right here on USA Carry, because it is interactive, and I believe, easier to compare permits. It also distinguishes between resident and NR permits. However, it does NOT allow you to claim to have a NR KS permit, because except for active duty military stationed in KS, they don't issue NR permits. This is important because CO, FL, SC, and MI all recognize the KS permit, but only resident permits.

My suspicion is that you are legally a MN resident since that is where your DL is from. (I'm assuming that there is a MN address on your DL). If you get a KS permit, my assumption is that once you are transferred out of KS, your KS permit would no longer be valid (I could be wrong about that, just a hunch). KS recognizes both MN and TX permits, so the next thing to consider is what other states you frequent. Of the three, TX is the most widely recognized, but not by CO or NV, so no Vegas for you. If you were to establish residency in KS, a KS permit combined with a UT permit would get you 35 states. After that, if you wanted to add any more states you would have to do so individually state by state.

Lots of possibilities. Lots to consider. Welcome to my addiction. Welcome to the site. And thanks for your service!

Let me tell ya the answer ain't easy, I'm active duty and have been on and off over 30 years (broken Service) residency ain't as easy as where your drivers license is, that's for sure. If you have a NY CCW you have to be a NY resident changing your residency makes that permit invalid. Now if you’re never going back to NY that's no big deal but if you are, getting a NY permit is one of the most difficult I have encountered so it is worth maintaining. Like I said residency for active duty is like no-one else because you can have legal residency in at least 2 states possibly 3 depending on your situation and location, but the day you are no longer active duty that all stops so, you must pick 1 so again depending on your situation this is huge in the decision process. Take my case for example I was born in NY moved to PA got my first CCW there at 18, joined the Military, and I have kept my Pa permit current as a resident, had other permits in states where I was stationed, but upon leaving those states the permits where invalid. About 7 years ago I bought what I plan to be retirement home in NY established residency there, and earlier this year applied for my CCW which I HOPE I get. I still have my PA resident permit, although it now carries my NY address. I have been stationed in NC for about 18 months and am due to transfer to FL very soon I seriously considered getting my CCW here, I took the class etc. but knew I was only going to be here 18-24months, the whole process takes about 8 months and the permit will be invalid once I leave, my PA permit has reciprocity here, so I opted not too. I will however get a FL permit because I can change it to a NON-Resident upon my departure, and when I depart I plan on returning to NY, unless I don't get my CCW, in which case I will sell my property and move elsewhere, or sell my handgun collection and give up my 2nd amendment rights, yeah figure the odds!

I hope this helps a little, sorry it was so long but the Active Military situation is very unique and the above only scratches the surface.

Let me tell ya the answer ain't easy, I'm active duty and have been on and off over 30 years (broken Service) residency ain't as easy as where your drivers license is, that's for sure. If you have a NY CCW you have to be a NY resident changing your residency makes that permit invalid. Now if you’re never going back to NY that's no big deal but if you are, getting a NY permit is one of the most difficult I have encountered so it is worth maintaining. Like I said residency for active duty is like no-one else because you can have legal residency in at least 2 states possibly 3 depending on your situation and location, but the day you are no longer active duty that all stops so, you must pick 1 so again depending on your situation this is huge in the decision process. Take my case for example I was born in NY moved to PA got my first CCW there at 18, joined the Military, and I have kept my Pa permit current as a resident, had other permits in states where I was stationed, but upon leaving those states the permits where invalid. About 7 years ago I bought what I plan to be retirement home in NY established residency there, and earlier this year applied for my CCW which I HOPE I get. I still have my PA resident permit, although it now carries my NY address. I have been stationed in NC for about 18 months and am due to transfer to FL very soon I seriously considered getting my CCW here, I took the class etc. but knew I was only going to be here 18-24months, the whole process takes about 8 months and the permit will be invalid once I leave, my PA permit has reciprocity here, so I opted not too. I will however get a FL permit because I can change it to a NON-Resident upon my departure, and when I depart I plan on returning to NY, unless I don't get my CCW, in which case I will sell my property and move elsewhere, or sell my handgun collection and give up my 2nd amendment rights, yeah figure the odds!

I hope this helps a little, sorry it was so long but the Active Military situation is very unique and the above only scratches the surface.

Can you give a cite for this?

A NY state license is issued for life...if you move out of state it is not revoked, just supply the issuing authority your change of address. I've read where they "suggest" you turn it in if you move out of state as its "not valid anywhere but NY"...but thats simply not true...as there are several states that recognize it.

Can you give a cite for this?

A NY state license is issued for life...if you move out of state it is not revoked, just supply the issuing authority your change of address. I've read where they "suggest" you turn it in if you move out of state as its "not valid anywhere but NY"...but that's simply not true...as there are several states that recognize it.
Furthermore,Hangunlaw.us- NY makes this claim:
New York will issue to non-Residents but you must have a very good reason. Most say you must have business concerns in the county etc etc.
Until last night, I had never thought that a NR could possibly get a NY permit. I'll admit I haven't read the entire NY code to find the language that allows this.

You said "KANSAS"! Ft Riley by any chance?
Site is down now but keep checking - Link Removed
Also take a look at the KS AG site Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General
Please note on the AG site click the link to " *Summary of the 2009 Changes to Concealed Carry Law " - "In 2009, the Kansas Legislature amended the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act (KPFPA) to assist active duty military personnel in obtaining a Kansas concealed carry license" you should have no problem at all.

Last edited:
I just checked the Travelers Guide and it actually does say that NY will issue a NR permit if the NR is principally employed within the state. I don't know how I missed that the first time around, as I'm going to/ thru NY all the time, so it kinda is an important state for me.

So I guess I should get a job up there long enough to get a permit.:biggrin:

Alright, I'm not a lawyer I'm a poor dump enlisted guy, but I have a few buddies in Law Enforcement and I've posed the question to our legal department. What all have told me is the requirement to obtain the permit is residency if that is broken the permit is no longer valid. The last thing I need is to have a felony conviction after over 30 years of patriotic service. Not all of NY issues permanent permits, and getting a resident permit is difficult at best 4 print cards a List of references who must reside in your County and bottom line they still don't have to issue it. Section 400 may not mention residency but the application sure does!

Thanks for all the help, I sure appreciate it. In looking at my NY permit, it has no expiration date on it so I assume it's good for life.

After reading all of your posts and doing a bit of research on my own, I think my best bet is to get a resident permit in Minnesota with the additional Utah certification. I could get a permit in Kansas, but I'm only here for a year (I'm at a year long school in Ft Leavenworth--NOT the permanant assignment to the prison....haha), so if I got a Kansas permit it'd be invalid once I get reassigned in June. But if I get a Minnesota permit, given that I have a Minnesota drivers license, I'll be good in 35 states. So, this is my logic. Anybody see any flaws in it?

I'll be good in 35 states. So, this is my logic. Anybody see any flaws in it?
The only flaw is in the state count. Keep in mind that FL, CO, and NH only honor resident permits from the states with which they have reciprocity. In other words, even though those 3 states recognize the UT permit, your UT permit is not valid in those 3 states because you are not a UT resident. MN doesn't have reciprocity with those 3 states at all. So, your count would be 32 states. Still not too shabby.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back