Permit/residence question

TheMan

Does anyone have insight into whether having two residences in different counties, one more restrictive than the other, would be an issue as far as the application process goes? This would assume the certifying county would be aware of 2nd residence via a reference letter or something.
Thanks.

You'll have to provide more informatiion before anyone can try to answer your questions.

Here's a hypothetical:

resident of county A has a house in county B, and driver's lic shows county B address. Majority of the year residence is in county A, but county B has less restrictive permit. I.E. for the resident, a permit issued in county B is preferable to one issued in county A.

For permit app purposes, residence in county B is proffered. But a reference responds on form letter to be returned to granting office that he's aware of county A residence as well.

Question is, would this raise flags/cause problems for applicant such as 'hey you live in county A, so you must apply there'. Basically the issue is two residences in two counties, and will they dig based on reference's response.

Last edited:
Screw that!

Because you question this, you know it is not the right thing to do.

Actually, the county trying to take away TM's second amendment right is at fault here. The fact that the state allows certain counties to write their own rules for what is supposed to be a right "that shall not be infringed." is at fault.

I have to totally disagree with Scout. If you were talking about a different state, then there might be an issue (i.e. an attempt to evade state taxes) then I would agree to tread carefully. However, two residential properties in the state should be no problem. The only issue that I can see would be not receiving mail notices in a timely manner. I have looked over the NY state laws, and I do not think that you will have a problem. Just make sure that, whichever address you use for your application, you also use for your driver's license and vehicle registration. Good Luck and don't carry in NYC!

Actually, the county trying to take away TM's second amendment right is at fault here. The fact that the state allows certain counties to write their own rules for what is supposed to be a right "that shall not be infringed." is at fault.

I have to totally disagree with Scout. If you were talking about a different state, then there might be an issue (i.e. an attempt to evade state taxes) then I would agree to tread carefully. However, two residential properties in the state should be no problem. The only issue that I can see would be not receiving mail notices in a timely manner. I have looked over the NY state laws, and I do not think that you will have a problem. Just make sure that, whichever address you use for your application, you also use for your driver's license and vehicle registration. Good Luck and don't carry in NYC!

I concur completely. In this case the majority = close to 51% of the time (vs 90/10) so at worst I think it'd be proving at which address 183 days of the year are resided.

Some counties have a provision to allow you to apply inthe county of your residence OR where you work.

BTW: The 2nd Amendment covers the right of owning a firearm, not the privilege of carrying it concealed. I wish it did. And please don't quote the state laws and codes. I know them. I teach them. I know that there is a sentence that says: "Notwithstanding any local law or ordinance, this permit is hereby valid throughout the state" The fact is that counties will and have been restricting permits and nobody has found deep enough pockets to change it or fight it. When they do, I am sure it will be different.

Gotta disagree with you, Roch.

BTW: The 2nd Amendment covers the right of owning a firearm, not the privilege of carrying it concealed. I wish it did. And please don't quote the state laws and codes. I know them. I teach them. I know that there is a sentence that says: "Notwithstanding any local law or ordinance, this permit is hereby valid throughout the state" The fact is that counties will and have been restricting permits and nobody has found deep enough pockets to change it or fight it. When they do, I am sure it will be different.

I have to respectfully disagree. Just because the second amendment is being repressed doesn't mean that it hasn't provided for carrying firearms on our respective persons, concealed or otherwise. I illustrate:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nothing about my second amendment right is a privilege. :no:

CCW New York

Some counties have a provision to allow you to apply inthe county of your residence OR where you work.

Every county has the ability to place restrictions on your pistol permit.Many pistol license holders on Long Island have been trying for years to get the restrictions lifted without any effect.Section 400 needs to be ammended to include restricted or unrestricted.Many of the counties issue that type of license.Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester have there own carry license like a business permit or Sportsman which are both restricted.Many of the upstate counties are giving restricted permits now.I'm for training and think if the individual is willing to take the responsability for carrying concealed and meets the requirements set by the licenseing officer in the county he should be given the right to a CCW.

I have to respectfully disagree. Just because the second amendment is being repressed doesn't mean that it hasn't provided for carrying firearms on our respective persons, concealed or otherwise. I illustrate:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nothing about my second amendment right is a privilege. :no:

Absolutely agreed. "Shall not be infringed" has been turned into shall not be infringed, unless the issuing official feels the applicant does not really need one, or unless the issuing official does not like guns.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back