PERMIT in VT?

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
I live in NH and if and when I go to VT. it says VT does not honor a NH permit but VT does not issue permits?? So, can I or cannot go into VT with a non-res. permit??
I have a NH, MA. and ME. permit/s.
It's not a dumb question, I just do not understand how it it worded and I want to know the LAW.
thnx.
sambo

Good question. It seems to me that since they don't require a Carry Permit, you don't need a Carry Permit from anywhere while you are carrying in Vermont. I believe law is every US Citizen has to be treated the same in whatever state they are in.

No permit is required to carry either openly or concealed in VT. Because no permit is required, the map can't say that one is, and that's why it says the permit is not honored. But fear not, you do not need a permit, whether you're a resident or not. Just make sure you're not a convicted felon and are legally in possession of any firearms you're carrying.

Being born in Vermont i can tell you that. Everyone can carry with out a permit even if your state permit is not honored. But they do have some town codes or some crap that keep you from carrying. In that town or area. My mom was telling me a few months ago.

Being born in Vermont i can tell you that. Everyone can carry with out a permit even if your state permit is not honored. But they do have some town codes or some crap that keep you from carrying. In that town or area. My mom was telling me a few months ago.

Can you be more specific?

I wish i could be. My whole family lives in Vermont and my mom was telling me about something about a guy who had a gun the town wanted to stop him lol. I really do not know much i will look into it more tonight and get back to you with town and code if i find any. I do know that the CITY of Rutland Vermont is really bad. The cops stop people all the time for no reason other then they have a gun. I know of a few times that i can i post for you. Rutland is the one city you will want your gun in Vermont as it's over run with drugs and gangs that come up from NJ,NY and Mass and CT.

Here is what you will face if you open carry/ if the cops find out you have a gun in that city.

Well I'm usually a lurker here and not a poster, but this is something I think should be known: I was open carrying today in Rutland City this morning, just on a walk to my community garden plot. On the way there, a police cruiser pulls up, and two police approach me. They questioned me about my gun (is it loaded, why are you carrying it, etc.). They claimed to have gotten a call from a person who had driven by and had seen my gun, but they couldn't identify this person by name. Another cop pulled up shortly also BTW but he didn't say anything. They checked the gun's serial number to see if it was stolen. One of the cops before leaving lectured me and here is where it really bothered me: he said it may be your right to carry it, but if you continue doing so, we'll be stopping you a lot. He said to me that I must be seeking attention or something (I said no, it's pointless to bother concealing the gun in hot weather wearing light clothing). He said there used to be a city ordinance against it. I said yes, the courts struck it down in 1903, and in the mid 1990's it was removed again under threat of another suit, and I will also pursue legal action if I am repeatedly stopped and hassled in the future. He said "is it worth it?".

You can read all the feedback over at Link Removed

This here is just one reason why i and many other people who know Vermont say this is the one Area you will want to carry a gun in Vermont.

Carjack victims survive night of terror

From the RUTLAND HAROLD. Published: August 21, 2008
Baby, don't let go of me!" screamed Amanda Guyette, 20, of Rutland, as she gripped the steering wheel of her green Chevrolet Cavalier so hard her knuckles were nearly numb.

Amanda's fiancé, Colby Power, gripped her arm even tighter, determined to not let the two men kidnap his girl.

Punches were thrown and Power, legally blind, was hit in the back of his head. An unknown man put his fist threw the open window.

Power's arms went numb. His grip on Guyette went soft.

Guyette had nothing left.

After kicking, cursing and fighting for her life, her fingers were pried off the wheel by the men, whom she described as scrawny but determined as ever to take her car.

She didn't know why or what they wanted with her.

But Guyette did anything she could to stay in that car.

At the same time, Dale Sarama, 36, of Rutland, struggled to break the grasp of his own set of attackers in the backseat.

With Colby nearly knocked out and Guyette being dragged across the coarse, pebbled road, Sarama was on his own. Moments later, he went unconscious and the cell phone he used to try to dial 911 no longer provided a glimmer of hope.

Beaten, bruised and bloody, the three friends were left in the dirt road.

They couldn't see each other, but Power and Guyette reunited in the darkness and ran together toward the nearest highway for help.

Five or six men they didn't know and had never seen before had driven up to them, told them they couldn't park on Wheelerville Road, attacked them for five minutes then drove away with their car, according to Power and Guyette.

It went from being a late-night chill session with Sarama, talking about when he would fix their car, to an attack by strangers.

They were lucky to be alive.

On Wednesday, less than 24 hours after the attack, Power and Guyette said that's all they can be grateful for.

Crusty blood formed around Power's black-and-blue nose. His face was swollen and spirit broken.

Guyette flashed a large bruise on the inside of her arm and a raw, red scrape down the middle of her back. She spoke defiantly, still high off the adrenaline rush from the night before, she said.

"I'm angry, nervous," she said.

Guyette wondered if police had caught all of the men who had beat her. If not, they may finish what they left behind, she said.

Power was less scared, more mad.

"I wanted to combat them but they wanted to kill me," said Power, 20, of Rutland. "You name it, they did it, violently. I'm pissed. It was fight for your life or else. We could've been killed."

In a backwoods area of Vermont, at his favorite fishing spot, Power and his fiancé Guyette, had been attacked by at least four men from Connecticut up north seeking drugs, according to Power and Guyette.

The men were fresh from a shooting they committed minutes earlier in Leicester and were racing from police, according to information from a police affidavit.

"Now I don't wanna go up there anymore," Power said. "I don't know where safe is anymore."

"I'm gonna do whatever I can to make sure they go away for a very long time," he said.

Police arrested four men they say carjacked the three friends Tuesday night.

It's a good thing, Power said, because he knew the men were dangerous.

"When they saw us they had a plan," he said.

John Power, Colby Power's grandfather, said the attack on his grandson was not part of the Vermont he knew.

"It's not typical of Vermont life as far as I'm concerned and it shouldn't be," John Power said. "It should be the highest priority on the list to combat drugs."

Colby Power sat next to his grandfather at the kitchen table. Guyette hopped onto the counter and leaned forward, to hear her fiancé better.

According to Power, Vermont isn't immune to crime and drugs anymore and neither is he or his girl.

"The worse the economy gets, the worse this will get and the worse it's gonna be on our police force," he said.

"It's all about the money," Guyette added.

"Oh, and I don't know if you heard this," Power said.

"But Dale said he heard them say, 'Just smoke 'em.

Last edited:
Thnx for the feedback. I myself carry concealed anyway, but just good to know incase....say, I get pulled over or something.
I like how their definition of carrying is stated....."provided the firearm is not carried with intent or avowed purpose of injuring a fellow man".
S&WM&P40, I like the story especially when the guy had his dates down (1903, 1990's etc.) smart guy.

It's sad but that's what it takes now a days. As if cops feel you know your rights they try and come up with other ways to make you think you are not following the laws. It's up to all of us to know the laws and have them down/print them off and carry copy's with you. So when some cop comes up thinking he is hot stuff and will bust your balls. You have it down and can come right back and tell him how it really is. But then again at that point some cops get pissed and try and say you got a smart mouth and try and get you for knowing your rights. Point in case i watched a video on youtube last night this guy got pulled over down in GA not sure what country. Any way the cops walk up to the pickup truck (one on each side) cop on the passenger side see's the gun (On his hip HOLSTERED). At that time he says gun ( cop on driver side pulls out his gun) Says get out or i will blow your F****** head off. He gets out they cuff him then they ask why he did not tell the cop he had a gun. He was like i did not know it was a law ( cop says you have to tell police if you have a gun) (I'M not sure if their is a law that says that or not People on youtube said their is none) Cop goes on to tell him it's to keep us safe (Then goes on to tell him I don't give a F**** if you die I'M going home i will kill you in a heart beat) Then they ask to search the truck he says no ( they give him the whole well why not if you don't have any thing in there) He says no again so they look in window and see a Blue Tylenol pill on the dash board. Cop asks if he has any narcotics in the truck. He says no then the cop says whats that? He tells them it's Tylenol and the cop says that's a narcotic. So they say that gives us the right to search the truck because it looks like drugs. They bust his balls for like 15 to 30 min of the side of the road keeping him cuffed. While they test his foot powder the Tylenol pill and any thing else they can find. Because he did not tell them he had a gun. He has a Concealed carry permit in his state to. They give him a ticket with a court date and let him go. I will see if i can find the dash cam tapes again.

Last edited:
I believe in NH there is no Law saying You have to let the officer know there is a gun on your person BUT it May be a good idea too / some may have different opinions on that one (I think You and I went over this once before....You mentioned that when your plate is run it shows that you have a permit which makes them aware You May be carrying). In MA. I believe You do. Ok, not to go off topic here.
On this forum where the maps are shown, if you go to a state, schroll down you'll find a part that says "gun laws" which is like a page and a half. I'm sure you have all seen this what I'm talking about. That there is what I print out and have in my vehicle/s. So, what You mentioned about knowing the laws and keeping a copy with you so when hasseled you'll have something to fall back on is a great idea.
I guess when I go to VT. in CCW mode I should be fine overall. I'll make sure I'm not brandishing it so I don't get hassled.
In the end, know the Laws!

I went to school in Vermont and lived there for a year after graduation. I know Rutland is bad, but I know that Barre and Burlington cops will break your balls as well. There was a case a few years back that a barre cop brought up against a guy CCWing, and it was tossed out without ever being heard.

I hate when cops say things like "will it be worth it?" It will be be worth it when someone gets to make him look like an incompetent moron, possibly even get a nice payday. But most importantly it is important and worth it to stand up for your rights.

I went to school in Vermont and lived there for a year after graduation. I know Rutland is bad, but I know that Barre and Burlington cops will break your balls as well. There was a case a few years back that a barre cop brought up against a guy CCWing, and it was tossed out without ever being heard.

I hate when cops say things like "will it be worth it?" It will be be worth it when someone gets to make him look like an incompetent moron, possibly even get a nice payday. But most importantly it is important and worth it to stand up for your rights.

For the most part Barre City is nothing but scum I try and afford that city. Now barre town is ok and they are not as big of pricks. My family lives in Montpelier and South Burlington so I try and stay way from the other towns. But I'M thinking about moving back and Northfield Is nice I spent a lot of time there with my grand parents growing up. Berlin is ok I only go there for one reason and that's to eat at the WaY-SIDE best food in the area.

I live in NH and if and when I go to VT. it says VT does not honor a NH permit but VT does not issue permits?? So, can I or cannot go into VT with a non-res. permit??
I have a NH, MA. and ME. permit/s.
It's not a dumb question, I just do not understand how it it worded and I want to know the LAW.
thnx.
sambo

Well this is an ol post .But it got a little off topic.
Vermont does not require a permit.Anyone who can legally own a gun can legally carry concealed in vermont.
It is our second amendment that affords us the "right" Not Privilege to do this.
A permit is an infringement on that right.This is what our state believes. So all are welcome to carry here
as long as you can legally own the firearm. I guess it's more of the "IDEAL" around ccw.
I think maybe you clicked on vermont instead of new hampshire when you read the map.when you click on vermont it shows all the states as orange.
Because vermont does not issue permits no other states will let us carry there.Which is why we get new hampshire non resident permits.

...you're right, this is an old post. Thanks for the newer update. I guess if I go through VT., I'll be sure to CC anyway. Overall, just be smart about it.
Friend of mine was just asking about VT., which is why I came back to this post........to get a refresher!
thnx folks.

...you're right, this is an old post. Thanks for the newer update. I guess if I go through VT., I'll be sure to CC anyway. Overall, just be smart about it.
Friend of mine was just asking about VT., which is why I came back to this post........to get a refresher!
thnx folks.

I would not lose sleep over it Sam Vermont has no permit system and as stated anyone can open/conceal carry even in cars. Just go have fun!!

Gun laws only apply to the law abiding residents of this state...

Check the Freeps, TA, RH, and other news outlets about the drug dealing POS's from Albany, Troy, Brooklyn, that come up here to sell their drugs...

To be honest, I really wish one of these drug dealing POS' would come to be within 100 ft. of me, he would be
a recipient of a 147 Gr. JHP or 2...

"Spoken like a true-blue internet rambo."

Rambo is fiction.

Considering the pro gun/2A slant of this site, your response is amusing.

You sound like a cop...

Gun laws only apply to the law abiding residents of this state...

Check the Freeps, TA, RH, and other news outlets about the drug dealing POS's from Albany, Troy, Brooklyn, that come up here to sell their drugs...

To be honest, I really wish one of these drug dealing POS' would come to be within 100 ft. of me, he would be
a recipient of a 147 Gr. JHP or 2...

Fodder for a prosecution should you ever be involved in a shooting..

Anyone can carry, concealed or open, in Vermont. Cities and towns CAN NOT override that law and make their own local rules. Most of them know that by this time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back